vBulletin Mods

The Official vBulletin Modifications Site
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=297041

[vB5] User Profile Fields in the postbit templates
by Lynne
10 Apr 2013 01:12

2 Attachment(s)
Using your User Profile Fields on your site

This article is written with the assumption that you have already created your own User Profile Fields in the User Profile Field Manager. If you need help with this, you may read about it in the manual here - http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/profile

For the Purposes of this article, I will be referring to "fieldx" as the name of your profile field. Your real name will be found in the User Profile Manager in the "Name" column - field1, field2, etc.


First thing to do is figure out which fields you want to add to your postbit. Go to your Admincp > User Profile Fields > User Profile Field Manager and note both the Field Name (field1, field2, etc) and the Category the field is in (see image 1). The Profile Fields are listed under their Category Title on this page. It should either be "(Uncategorized)" or have some other category listed. To then get the Category ID, go to User Profile Field Categories, click to Edit the category you want the ID of, and it will be listed at the top - id x (see image 2). Uncategorized Categories have no Category ID.
Image 1:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/attac...1&d=1365552264

Image 2:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/attac...1&d=1365552264
So, now that you have a list of field ids and category ids, you can now easily add them to your postbit.

First make sure your hook system is active (it is turned off by default). Go to Admincp > Settings > Products/Hook System > Enable/Disable Hook System > Yes.

Now, go to Admincp > Products & Hooks > Manage Hooks and click the link that says "[Add New Hook]". In that new hook, set the following:
Hook is Active: Yes
Hook Location: conversation_userstats
Title: Show Profile Fields in Postbit
Template Name: conversation_fields
Hook Arguments: conversation=conversation
SAVE
Now go to Admincp > Styles & Templates > Style Manager > Add New Template and on that page, set the following:
Title: conversation_fields
Template:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

For each field you want shown, you will need to add this code under that line:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Replace the X in "FieldX" (three times) with the fieldid and, if your field is in a Category other than Uncategoried, then replace "default" with "categoryY_title" where Y is the category id.

So, for instance, say I have the following I want to add:
Name Category
field5 (uncategoried)
field7 New Cat(id 1)
Then my template would look like this:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

That's it!

If running 5.1.0, there is a code fix to apply here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zachery
In the templates, after applying the following change to

core/vb/library/content/text.php

Find


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Change it to:


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.


abdobasha2004 13 Apr 2013 00:41

thanks lynne
great work

Wayne Luke 13 Apr 2013 17:18

Great tutorial thanks.

greygaming 02 May 2013 16:12

how would you go about adding the link as an attribute inside of an img tag?

or is it more involved than just chopping up that string and putting it in whatever tags you need?

Lynne 02 May 2013 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by greygaming (Post 2419615)
how would you go about adding the link as an attribute inside of an img tag?

or is it more involved than just chopping up that string and putting it in whatever tags you need?

I don't know what you mean at all. Can you give an example? You can change the template up however you want. I was just giving an example to make it look like the other stuff under the avatar, but you may format it/change it however you want.

greygaming 04 May 2013 01:58

I would like to take the text string from the text field and have it inserted in the href attribute of an anchor tag. I would then use the anchor tag to wrap around an icon.

any thoughts?

thanks for the reply

Lynne 04 May 2013 05:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by greygaming (Post 2419827)
I would like to take the text string from the text field and have it inserted in the href attribute of an anchor tag. I would then use the anchor tag to wrap around an icon.

any thoughts?

thanks for the reply

So you aren't talking about using a profile field at all, but the text. That isn't what this tutorial is about.

greygaming 04 May 2013 14:18

okay.

official vbulletin support pointed me here and said it could be done.

thanks anyway

--------------- Added 04 May 2013 at 14:31 ---------------

I am unable to create new articles on this site, and vBulletin support is no help.

Would you have any information or resources that I could read up on this topic by myself?

I'm just getting surprised at this point by the lack of help and resources on modifying vbulletin 5.

Lynne 04 May 2013 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by greygaming (Post 2419898)
okay.

official vbulletin support pointed me here and said it could be done.

thanks anyway

--------------- Added 04 May 2013 at 14:31 ---------------

I am unable to create new articles on this site, and vBulletin support is no help.

Would you have any information or resources that I could read up on this topic by myself?

I'm just getting surprised at this point by the lack of help and resources on modifying vbulletin 5.

This article is about using the Profile Fields in the postbit template. If that is what you are talking about, then it isn't apparent to me. Perhaps you can be a lot more specific about what you want and then we could help. Vague questions will not get very specific responses.

greygaming 05 May 2013 19:27

I'm sorry for crappy explanations, I do appreciate you taking the time to read these posts


http://imgur.com/rbTHBpa

The picture above is the postbit I am looking to create.
Each image is tied to a link, each link is just the contents of the corresponding profile field.
What I am asking is how to make the output an image of my choice, and have the contents of the field be the link for the image.
Does that make sense?


Isn't that essentially what this tutorial is about, minus the images?
(note: I don't need help with the styling, I can figure that out)

sorry for any misunderstanding or time wasted, i did not mean to offend

Lynne 05 May 2013 20:34

If your profile field is a link - http://something.com/image.png - then just use an image tag:


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.


greygaming 05 May 2013 20:42

gorgeous.


thank you so much for your help

--------------- Added 05 May 2013 at 21:25 ---------------

Now, I'm actually curious if there is a way to do the exact same thing in the profile area.

Instead of the field.value being displayed on the profile page, could it be replaced with an image in the exact same way as in the postbit template?

thanks for placating my curiosity!

Lynne 06 May 2013 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by greygaming (Post 2420106)
gorgeous.


thank you so much for your help

--------------- Added 05 May 2013 at 21:25 ---------------

Now, I'm actually curious if there is a way to do the exact same thing in the profile area.

Instead of the field.value being displayed on the profile page, could it be replaced with an image in the exact same way as in the postbit template?

thanks for placating my curiosity!

Sorry I didn't understand at first what you were looking for. I'm glad we were finally able to get it working!

You could probably do something similar on the profile page, but I don't see a hook there so it looks like you would need to edit the widget_profile_sidebar template manually to do it. I haven't looked into it at all, but my guess is the variable names will be different also.

korny 17 May 2013 17:46

I am getting this error:

Warning: Illegal string offset 'field5' in [path]/includes/adminfunctions_template.php(4638) : eval()'d code on line 3

Not sure what I am missing in the install.

Lynne 17 May 2013 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by korny (Post 2422705)
I am getting this error:

Warning: Illegal string offset 'field5' in [path]/includes/adminfunctions_template.php(4638) : eval()'d code on line 3

Not sure what I am missing in the install.

And exactly what did you enter into your template? (Use code tags)


All times are GMT. The time now is 18:48.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.14
Copyright © 2021, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All Rights Reserved. vBulletin® is a registered trademark of MH Sub I, LLC
Copyright ©2001 - , vbulletin.org. All rights reserved.