vBulletin Mods

The Official vBulletin Modifications Site
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=326528

What to look for in a VB host?
by abozich
02 Jul 2018 18:33

My current host is no longer going to support hosting VB and is only going to allow Wordpress installs on its platform. So I need to move my VB 4.2.5 to another host. This is a bit overwhelming for me and I'm not sure where to start.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what to look for? This forum I have has a lot of paid subscriptions and reliability is a huge factor for me. I believe the forum gets about 2-3 million page views per year. No plugins or customizations are installed.

I'm currently already running PHP 7.0 on a Linux Server. I believe my version of MYSQL is 5.6.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What to look for in a VB host?
by abozich
02 Jul 2018 18:39

Posted this over in the VB4 forum, but then realized it might be better suited for here.

My current host is no longer going to support hosting VB and is only going to allow Wordpress installs on its platform. So I need to move my VB 4.2.5 to another host. This is a bit overwhelming for me and I'm not sure where to start.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what to look for? This forum I have has a lot of paid subscriptions and reliability is a huge factor for me. I believe the forum gets about 2-3 million page views per year. No plugins or customizations are installed.

I'm currently already running PHP 7.0 on a Linux Server. I believe my version of MYSQL is 5.6.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

TJF 02 Jul 2018 19:18

URLJet (now I guess merged with Homepage Universe) has been great for us. We have been with them for 7-8 years. They have excellent customer support and have always taken good care of us. They specialize in hosting vBulletin forums. They will do a lot as far as helping migrate and with upgrades.

abozich 02 Jul 2018 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJF (Post 2595360)
URLJet (now I guess merged with Homepage Universe) has been great for us. We have been with them for 7-8 years. They have excellent customer support and have always taken good care of us. They specialize in hosting vBulletin forums. They will do a lot as far as helping migrate and with upgrades.

What versions of VB are you hosting with them? Do you have a link?

Dave 02 Jul 2018 20:37

Are you looking specifically for a company that hosts vBulletin forums?
You can just get a VPS at a company such as Vultr, Digitalocean or Linode.

abozich 02 Jul 2018 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 2595363)
Are you looking specifically for a company that hosts vBulletin forums?
You can just get a VPS at a company such as Vultr, Digitalocean or Linode.

Dave, would love to chat offline with you sometime. What's the best way to get in touch?

And yes, just looking to move my vBulletin install, not the Wordpress.

final kaoss 03 Jul 2018 02:09

You should be looking at getting a vps that has reliable uptime, good support and has been around for at least 8+ years.

Here's a good place to start looking for good vps servers & deals.
https://lowendbox.com/

And also, remember what your ram, disk usage & bandwith usages are before you make the switch so that you can find a host with comparable hardware.

abozich 03 Jul 2018 02:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by final kaoss (Post 2595365)
You should be looking at getting a vps that has reliable uptime, good support and has been around for at least 8+ years.

Here's a good place to start looking for good vps servers & deals.
https://lowendbox.com/

And also, remember what your ram, disk usage & bandwith usages are before you make the switch so that you can find a host with comparable hardware.

Is it commonplace for the new host to move the site over or is that something I would need to handle on my own?

final kaoss 03 Jul 2018 03:43

You should be prepared to move the site on your own. Just make sure you have everything setup and ready on the new host before you point your domain to the new servers ip addresses.

DCD.RB 03 Jul 2018 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by abozich (Post 2595367)
Is it commonplace for the new host to move the site over or is that something I would need to handle on my own?

Some hosts don't mind doing this since:
1. You're a new customer and they want your business.
2. If you're paying for Part or fully "Managed" support, so the service is included anyway.

Do you know if you're going from a specific software to software? Such as CPanel to CPanel, those transitions are the easiest. You or your host, should be able to just run a CPanel backup, then import it to the new one.

But if you're transferring across different platforms, then it's more work since it's not as automated.

Mattwhf 03 Jul 2018 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by abozich (Post 2595359)
Posted this over in the VB4 forum, but then realized it might be better suited for here.

My current host is no longer going to support hosting VB and is only going to allow Wordpress installs on its platform. So I need to move my VB 4.2.5 to another host. This is a bit overwhelming for me and I'm not sure where to start.

It is weird because every hosting should support to run every versions of vBulletin.


Quote:

Originally Posted by abozich (Post 2595359)
Does anyone have any thoughts on what to look for? This forum I have has a lot of paid subscriptions and reliability is a huge factor for me. I believe the forum gets about 2-3 million page views per year. No plugins or customizations are installed.

I'm currently already running PHP 7.0 on a Linux Server. I believe my version of MYSQL is 5.6.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If you have difficulties in choosing a good hosting provider now, I would recommend hosting from his provider

https://forumweb.hosting/marketplace/virtubox-managed-plesk-vps-kvm-nvme-storage-unlimited-traffic.492/

The hosting will run on a VPS server, you can use Nginx via Plesk control panel where you can switch between PHP 5x and PHP 7.x just some clicks and of course, it can run all forum platforms such vB 4x, vB 5x, Xenforo 2, Wordpress...etc

Hope that helped.

abozich 03 Jul 2018 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCD.RB (Post 2595374)
Some hosts don't mind doing this since:
1. You're a new customer and they want your business.
2. If you're paying for Part or fully "Managed" support, so the service is included anyway.

Do you know if you're going from a specific software to software? Such as CPanel to CPanel, those transitions are the easiest. You or your host, should be able to just run a CPanel backup, then import it to the new one.

But if you're transferring across different platforms, then it's more work since it's not as automated.

My current host doesn't use CPanel. I believe they have their own custom interface. I have some time before I make the move as the current host isn't forcing these changes until December, but would like to get things done sooner rather than later if I can.

DCD.RB 03 Jul 2018 16:49

I transitioned from a host like that before to CPanel, I simply asked them if they were willing to do the transfer work for me and they agreed to. Mind you, I also asked this during sales inquiry.

Since you have time, it doesn't hurt to ask when you shop around for a new host.

TheLastSuperman 04 Jul 2018 16:46

I've merged your two threads, normally I would have deleted one of them but you had some helpful replies in both. Please read between the lines (replies) to differentiate the posts ;).

abozich 05 Jul 2018 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastSuperman (Post 2595396)
I've merged your two threads, normally I would have deleted one of them but you had some helpful replies in both. Please read between the lines (replies) to differentiate the posts ;).

Thank you. Very helpful!


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:18.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.12
Copyright © 2019, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All Rights Reserved. vBulletin® is a registered trademark of MH Sub I, LLC
Copyright ©2001 - , vbulletin.org. All rights reserved.