vBulletin Mods

The Official vBulletin Modifications Site
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=244236

Digital Point User Map
by digitalpoint
09 Jun 2010 00:01

3 Attachment(s)
About
This is a system for geo-locating your currently online users and plotting them on a world Google Map. You can click any of the pins for a link to pull up the user's location in Google Earth.

This is something I originally made almost 5 years ago. Now that I rewrote it for vBulletin 4, I wrapped it up as a product package and released it for the world to use.

Installation
  • Put the usermap.php file in your forum folder.
  • Install the product-digitalpoint_usermap.xml product under AdminCP -> Plugins & Products -> Manage Products -> Add/Import Product
Notes
  • Important! - this uses the free GeoIP PHP extension, so you must have it installed on your server in order for it to work.
  • Uses datastore cache so it does not repeat GeoIP queries unnecessarily.
  • Upgraded to Google Maps API v3.
You can see a live version in action here:
http://forums.digitalpoint.com/usermap.php

noppid 09 Jun 2010 00:03

Nice to see. Thanks!

Reeve of shinra 09 Jun 2010 02:02

Cool beans!

Trek 09 Jun 2010 02:16

Thanks much, installed!

*edit*

nm, can't use it. My webhost doesn't have the PHP extension required for this mod. Had to uninstall.

karlm 09 Jun 2010 03:04

Looks awesome... will investigate further soon..

digitalpoint 09 Jun 2010 04:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trek (Post 2050750)
Thanks much, installed!

*edit*

nm, can't use it. My webhost doesn't have the PHP extension required for this mod. Had to uninstall.

Yeah, sorry... I knew that was going to be the biggest sticking point, but it *is* a fairly common PHP extension so some people hosting on managed servers might have some luck. For those that run their own servers, it's pretty easy to install from RPM or just compile it.

Sadly there isn't a way around needing some sort of geotargetting mechanism though. I thought about making it geotarget against my servers for people, but then people would complain about privacy and such with all the geotargetting requests going to a central server. Can't make everyone happy unfortunately. :)

Brandon Sheley 09 Jun 2010 06:08

good deal, thanks Shawn

as7apcool 09 Jun 2010 07:34

good work ... thanks alot

CoZmicShReddeR 09 Jun 2010 10:13

I added extension=php_geoip.dll and restarted apache server and when I click on the map link I get

Fatal error: Call to undefined function geoip_record_by_name() \usermap.php on line 100

I am using vB_Datastore_Filecache

Abhik 09 Jun 2010 11:01

Thank you for the release Shawn..

digitalpoint 09 Jun 2010 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoZmicShReddeR (Post 2050871)
I added extension=php_geoip.dll and restarted apache server and when I click on the map link I get

Fatal error: Call to undefined function geoip_record_by_name() \usermap.php on line 100

Well for whatever reason it didn't get installed correctly if the functions aren't there... :)

Kolbi 09 Jun 2010 12:15

Thanks!

TeknoSounds 09 Jun 2010 12:49

dope :D Works wonderfully ty!

twitch 09 Jun 2010 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalpoint (Post 2050903)
Well for whatever reason it didn't get installed correctly if the functions aren't there... :)

same problem

noppid 09 Jun 2010 15:57

It's not like the GeoIP site hands you the install instructions over there. But, I'm pretty sure a resourceful person could do the geoip pure install at the php file level rather then the apache server level if a shared host won't add it. http://geolite.maxmind.com/download/geoip/api/php/ Then you need the city database IIRC. http://www.maxmind.com/app/geolitecity and it looks like an edit to the DP php file to include the geoip api and initialize it.

Tubbietoeter 09 Jun 2010 17:24

I asked my provider to install geoip and they did.

phpinfo says
geoip extension version 1.0.7
geoip library version 1004006
geoip.custom_directory no value no value

I get errors anyway:
Warnung: geoip_record_by_name() [function.geoip-record-by-name]: Required database not available at /var/lib/GeoIP/GeoIPCity.dat. in [path]/usermap.php (Zeile 100)
Warnung: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/usermap.php (Zeile 128)
Warnung: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/usermap.php (Zeile 133)
Warnung: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/usermap.php (Zeile 152)
Warnung: geoip_record_by_name() [function.geoip-record-by-name]: Required database not available at /var/lib/GeoIP/GeoIPCity.dat. in [path]/usermap.php (Zeile 158)

am I doing something wrong?

noppid 09 Jun 2010 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tubbietoeter (Post 2051055)
I asked my provider to install geoip and they did.

phpinfo says

I get errors anyway:
Warnung: geoip_record_by_name() [function.geoip-record-by-name]: Required database not available at /var/lib/GeoIP/GeoIPCity.dat. in [path]/usermap.php (Zeile 100)
Warnung: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/usermap.php (Zeile 128)
Warnung: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/usermap.php (Zeile 133)
Warnung: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/usermap.php (Zeile 152)
Warnung: geoip_record_by_name() [function.geoip-record-by-name]: Required database not available at /var/lib/GeoIP/GeoIPCity.dat. in [path]/usermap.php (Zeile 158)

am I doing something wrong?

They installed the default country database or provided the wrong path. You need GeoIP City.

voglermc 09 Jun 2010 18:46

Would a different version be possible to build out based on profile field information and populate with certain info in profile fields of members?

I run a MINI Cooper Club site and it would be nice to see where our members are

digitalpoint 09 Jun 2010 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by voglermc (Post 2051098)
Would a different version be possible to build out based on profile field information and populate with certain info in profile fields of members?

In theory you could modify it to run based on the location of the IP address they used to register, but I don't think Google Maps could handle that many pins on the map to be honest.

voglermc 09 Jun 2010 19:07

We have around 1300 members right now. I'd just like members to see they have others close by. I'm not to up to date on google's api so I don't know what it can and can't do

Diablotic 09 Jun 2010 19:50

voglermc: There is another modification that will let you create profiles and pin them on google maps. It can be found here: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123148 but there is no official release for 4.0 yet :(

digitalpoint 09 Jun 2010 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by voglermc (Post 2051108)
We have around 1300 members right now. I'd just like members to see they have others close by. I'm not to up to date on google's api so I don't know what it can and can't do

If you want to make it work with registration IP addresses instead of currently online users, in the usermap.php file, change this:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

to this:

I haven't tested it, but I think it should work (it's still going to limit it to 5000 users/pins... anything more than that probably would cause issues for Google Maps anyway).

Obviously it's not going to show pins for spiders/guests (only registered users and admins/mods).

Tubbietoeter 09 Jun 2010 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by voglermc (Post 2051098)

Aaaw dang, and I thought this was possible with this AddOn as well.
I run a Suzuki Jimny Club :D and we have the same need ... ;)

$%& I really liked the looks of this ... *grmpf*

Hope there will be a good alternative for vb4 soon!

voglermc 09 Jun 2010 21:24

Thank you both!

voglermc 10 Jun 2010 00:19

error

Fatal error: Call to undefined function geoip_record_by_name() in /home/tarheel/public_html/usermap.php on line 97

docvader 10 Jun 2010 00:29

vo, you dont have GEOIP on your server. Talk to your server host to install it.

voglermc 10 Jun 2010 00:37

Thanks

voglermc 10 Jun 2010 01:10

My host won't install on a shared server
Marked as uninstalled, wish I didn't have to

TeknoSounds 10 Jun 2010 09:08

Yeah pretty much any shared hosting doesn't allow the geoip plugin as I've been told over and over its "too resource intensive". (was looking for stats generated by awstats)
But I moved over to my own dedicated server and runs wonderfully :)

funmasti 10 Jun 2010 12:13

thanks shawn

Kolbi 10 Jun 2010 12:32

Can you create a converter from the old vb membermap?

digitalpoint 10 Jun 2010 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeknoSounds (Post 2051410)
Yeah pretty much any shared hosting doesn't allow the geoip plugin as I've been told over and over its "too resource intensive". (was looking for stats generated by awstats)
But I moved over to my own dedicated server and runs wonderfully :)

Sounds like a generic answer from your host because they didn't feel like installing it. It's INCREDIBLY *not* resource intensive...

http://www.maxmind.com/app/benchmark

Benchmarked at being able to do 22k+ lookups per second without any sort of caching.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kolbi (Post 2051481)
Can you create a converter from the old vb membermap?

No idea what that is, sorry.

Tryppnotic69 10 Jun 2010 19:13

Works great, Any way of getting registered users, admins, etc usernames to appear on the pins instead or along with View in Google Earth?

digitalpoint 10 Jun 2010 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tryppnotic69 (Post 2051642)
Works great, Any way of getting registered users, admins, etc usernames to appear on the pins instead or along with View in Google Earth?

I had thought about doing it that way originally, but decided against it because if all the potential complaints from end-users about privacy issues.

Kolbi 10 Jun 2010 21:33

An importer for this modifcation: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=154533 would be very very nice.

Tryppnotic69 10 Jun 2010 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalpoint (Post 2051697)
I had thought about doing it that way originally, but decided against it because if all the potential complaints from end-users about privacy issues.

Would this be something fairly simple to add or would it require a lot of work? I don't know much about modding. I think it might be possible to add a check box to the registration page to accept being added to the member map. Might be cool to look into :-)

CoZmicShReddeR 10 Jun 2010 23:57

Can anyone explain how to successfully install geoip on a xampp windows server??

I tried the mod_geoip as well but in any case I cannot get the php or the apache version running with windows...

digitalpoint 11 Jun 2010 02:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kolbi (Post 2051713)
An importer for this modifcation: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=154533 would be very very nice.

There's nothing really *to* import since mine is locating the user in realtime based on their IP address. That one appears to really just be a system where each user can put an arbitrary pin on the map (since the user can put it anywhere they want). If you want something like that, you probably would just want to ask the developer to update it since it's really something different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tryppnotic69 (Post 2051729)
Would this be something fairly simple to add or would it require a lot of work? I don't know much about modding. I think it might be possible to add a check box to the registration page to accept being added to the member map. Might be cool to look into :-)

Eh... it would be possible, but having people opt-into it would also have the affect of very few users actually using it. Personally, I like it the way it is now where it's a little more anonymous, but all users are on it.

giorgino 11 Jun 2010 07:40

unistalled because no GeoIP on my server. Now I've an MySQL error...

Database error in vBulletin 4.0.3:

Invalid SQL:

SELECT languageid,
phrasegroup_global AS phrasegroup_global,
phrasegroup_usermap AS phrasegroup_usermap,
options AS lang_options,
languagecode AS lang_code,
charset AS lang_charset,
locale AS lang_locale,
imagesoverride AS lang_imagesoverride,
dateoverride AS lang_dateoverride,
timeoverride AS lang_timeoverride,
registereddateoverride AS lang_registereddateoverride,
calformat1override AS lang_calformat1override,
calformat2override AS lang_calformat2override,
logdateoverride AS lang_logdateoverride,
decimalsep AS lang_decimalsep,
thousandsep AS lang_thousandsep
FROM vb_language
WHERE languageid = 2;

MySQL Error : Unknown column 'phrasegroup_usermap' in 'field list'
Error Number : 1054
Request Date : Friday, June 11th 2010 @ 08:13:14 AM
Error Date : Friday, June 11th 2010 @ 08:13:14 AM
Script : http://www.mysite.it/usermap.php
Referrer :
Username :
Classname : vB_Database
MySQL Version :

How can I solve this?

digitalpoint 11 Jun 2010 19:09

If you uninstalled it, you would also want to delete the usermap.php file. :)

docvader 12 Jun 2010 05:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by voglermc (Post 2051232)
error

Fatal error: Call to undefined function geoip_record_by_name() in /home/tarheel/public_html/usermap.php on line 97

OK, so much for me giving people advice....

I now have GEOIP installed in my apache and environment, and I get this above error. What am I missing????

ahmedipa 12 Jun 2010 06:06

so nice thank you so much

mikey1991 12 Jun 2010 06:13

Can you 'backport' this to 3.8 and release it? I have a client who would love something like this.

digitalpoint 12 Jun 2010 06:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by docvader (Post 2052358)
OK, so much for me giving people advice....

I now have GEOIP installed in my apache and environment, and I get this above error. What am I missing????

Does GeoIP show up in phpinfo() for you?

docvader 12 Jun 2010 06:58

No, it shows up in Apache as a mod, and in the environment. They installed the Apache end of it, not the PHP end. According to Maxmind, it's another way of doing it, but, apparently, it doesn't work.

I've asked them to put the PHP extension in for geoip. we're using Linux. Finding the right directions for Linux was not clear; if you have a good link, I'd appreciate it.

Tryppnotic69 12 Jun 2010 07:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by docvader (Post 2052371)
No, it shows up in Apache as a mod, and in the environment. They installed the Apache end of it, not the PHP end. According to Maxmind, it's another way of doing it, but, apparently, it doesn't work.

I've asked them to put the PHP extension in for geoip. we're using Linux. Finding the right directions for Linux was not clear; if you have a good link, I'd appreciate it.

Softlayer just installed it on my Linux server using these instructions, and it worked great.

http://www.maxmind.com/app/installation?city=1

On step 3 (http://www.maxmind.com/app/api), they used Apache Module (mod_geoip) as the API. Everything works great at my forum.

LbR 12 Jun 2010 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalpoint (Post 2050776)
Yeah, sorry... I knew that was going to be the biggest sticking point, but it *is* a fairly common PHP extension so some people hosting on managed servers might have some luck. For those that run their own servers, it's pretty easy to install from RPM or just compile it.

Sadly there isn't a way around needing some sort of geotargetting mechanism though. I thought about making it geotarget against my servers for people, but then people would complain about privacy and such with all the geotargetting requests going to a central server. Can't make everyone happy unfortunately. :)

will that work with a VPS?

TeknoSounds 12 Jun 2010 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by docvader (Post 2052371)

I just installed the extension myself the other day on my Fedora box.

Just used YUM to grab the latest geoip packages (theres two you need), then just made sure the folder with the geoip.so was in my included path, restarted apache, and np :)

digitalpoint 12 Jun 2010 19:03

Well, depending on the operating system you are running for your server, there probably is a pre-packaged RPM installer for it.

I just compiled mine from source...

Install the libraries by downloading and compiling as per the instructions here:
http://www.maxmind.com/app/c

Then download and compile/install the PHP module for it:
http://pecl.php.net/package/geoip

For my installation, the GeoCity .dat files go into /usr/local/share/GeoIP/ (I think that's the default... don't think I would have changed the path for them).

You can download the .dat files from:
http://geolite.maxmind.com/download/...y/GeoIP.dat.gz
http://geolite.maxmind.com/download/...iteCity.dat.gz

pete_brady 12 Jun 2010 20:01

i had to manually compile from source as above but also rename GeoLiteCity.dat to GeoIPCity.dat & copy it to /var/lib/GeoIP

i was probably doing it wrong though

installed & working just fine now. thanks!

(& thanks also for your vb optimisation article at digitalpoint)

digitalpoint 12 Jun 2010 20:40

Yeah... they changed the name of their .dat file they distribute a few months ago for some reason and they haven't updated the libraries to reflect that. Not sure why they changed the name of the file, but renaming it to the old name works fine (as you found).

docvader 12 Jun 2010 23:00

thanks for all the extra info.
Got it working. Great job DP

Boko577 12 Jun 2010 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoZmicShReddeR (Post 2050871)

I am using vB_Datastore_Filecache

Same problem??? Why won't it work?

TeknoSounds 12 Jun 2010 23:30

pretty sure the windows version will need the .dat file too

MikeF 13 Jun 2010 00:15

Is there any way to completely exclude guests from this mod? It eats up a huge amount of resources, but is of no relevance to our full time members.

docvader 13 Jun 2010 00:46

Boko, that GeoLiteCity.dat file needs to be in usr/local/share/ directory, and it needs to be renamed to GeoIPCity.dat.

syrn 13 Jun 2010 00:49

not working ......??

imranbaig 13 Jun 2010 03:07

Hey, Thanks for sharing with us.

Megatr0n 13 Jun 2010 14:30

Any chance this will be updated for 3.8?

digitalpoint 13 Jun 2010 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeF (Post 2052687)
Is there any way to completely exclude guests from this mod? It eats up a huge amount of resources, but is of no relevance to our full time members.

What resources is it overloading on your server?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatr0n (Post 2052932)
Any chance this will be updated for 3.8?

No, sorry... I don't run any 3.x forums, so...

Kaitou Ace 23 Jun 2010 21:11

Would the map be able to show usernames and link to profile? Maybe for staff groups only, or all users, but a configurable option for that could be handy.

Gamershosting 25 Jun 2010 14:13

Hi all great mod and like the idea of it. However I have an issue. IT won't show up. I tried using Firefox and IE8. The page will display but no map.

In IE8 there is an error icon in the bottom left stating Done but with errors. When clicked I get this error message:

Quote:

Webpage error details

Line: 369
Char: 41
Code: 0
URI: http://www.gamershosting.net/usermap.php
In my phpinfo.php it shows this:

Quote:

geoip
geoip support enabled

Directive Local Value Master Value
Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

wcguy 29 Jun 2010 13:51

Hi, nice ap too.

I am getting similar errors as above.

In IE8 a blank page, with these errors:

and

phpinfo

Pashaali 01 Jul 2010 06:42

install but it cant work http://www.desifunbox.com/usermap.php

just seen blank page . im use vbseo have to edit something ?

please help for it

digitalpoint 01 Jul 2010 19:19

Did the USERMAP template not get installed somehow or something (the package installer should have done it automatically). Search your templates for a template named "USERMAP".

wcguy 02 Jul 2010 05:44

I had an install error for the database.

all fixed now. Thanks!

Good app.

Pashaali 02 Jul 2010 16:34

Fatal error: Call to undefined function geoip_record_by_name() in /------/desifunbox.com/usermap.php on line 100

digitalpoint 02 Jul 2010 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pashaali (Post 2063266)
Fatal error: Call to undefined function geoip_record_by_name() in /------/desifunbox.com/usermap.php on line 100

See first post/install instruction...
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalpoint (Post 2050698)
Important! - this uses the free GeoIP PHP extension, so you must have it installed on your server in order for it to work.

Xencored 03 Jul 2010 16:54

Awesome installed Thanks its a ace touch :)

sinucello 05 Jul 2010 15:27

Hi,

thanks for sharing this. I really like that your are using GeoIP. Unfortunately this map won`t be very useful for my community members without showing the usernames in the bubbles. So I dare to ask if you could add this as an option in a future release.

thank you - all the best,
Sacha

digitalpoint 05 Jul 2010 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinucello (Post 2064799)
Hi,

thanks for sharing this. I really like that your are using GeoIP. Unfortunately this map won`t be very useful for my community members without showing the usernames in the bubbles. So I dare to ask if you could add this as an option in a future release.

thank you - all the best,
Sacha

It intentionally doesn't show username. It's not a tool to track down/stalk users... and revealing a user's exact location with info that ties them to who they are specifically (username) just runs into all sorts of privacy issues.

sinucello 06 Jul 2010 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalpoint (Post 2064880)
It intentionally doesn't show username. It's not a tool to track down/stalk users... and revealing a user's exact location with info that ties them to who they are specifically (username) just runs into all sorts of privacy issues.

I get your point and agree. The vBmembermap showed the names in the bubbles but it allowed the users to choose if and where their markers were set and I understand that this makes a big difference to the way your plugin is working. But yours the only one working for vB4 so I guess you`ll receive a couple more requests like mine ;-).

all the best,
Sacha

digitalpoint 06 Jul 2010 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinucello (Post 2065143)
I get your point and agree. The vBmembermap showed the names in the bubbles but it allowed the users to choose if and where their markers were set and I understand that this makes a big difference to the way your plugin is working. But yours the only one working for vB4 so I guess you`ll receive a couple more requests like mine ;-).

all the best,
Sacha

Yeah, this one is automatic and not an opt-in system where the user can choose to set their location arbitrarily. Instead it just does it and the user can't hide or lie about it to the public. So that's where the privacy issues can potentially come into play. Imagine if you could look at any Facebook profile and know exactly where they last logged in from. :)

Prox0001 10 Jul 2010 22:40

Very nice, works great except that it only shows guests (yellow pins) and spiders (white pins). Even when I pick "show yourself" it shows the correct area but no pin whatsoever... any ideas?

digitalpoint 10 Jul 2010 23:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prox0001 (Post 2067378)
Very nice, works great except that it only shows guests (yellow pins) and spiders (white pins). Even when I pick "show yourself" it shows the correct area but no pin whatsoever... any ideas?

What's the URL where it's installed?

andyv72 09 Aug 2010 01:29

How du install this ????

I dont have any idea....

pls help me

ubcforums 24 Aug 2010 10:54

Thanks for sharing ..

Nomar86 25 Aug 2010 15:55

very cool map. tagged this post for future download, thanks again

dd365media 27 Aug 2010 00:06

Alright... I have error on line 100 too.

I have GeoIP.dat in /share/ directory. I uploaded it there manually.

http://www.maxmind.com/app/installation?city=1

I don't get why is there "GeoIP-133_20051201.tar.gz"

And I just figured out there's old installation which is in /usr/share and not /usr/local/share

KevinL 01 Sep 2010 17:22

OK I am having an issue with this.

GeoIP is installed in PHPinfo I can see it. I installed this and I go to usermap and I see everything but the actual map. I changed the settings and everything but nothing. I am not even getting an error.

What did I do wrong? lol

KevinL 03 Sep 2010 13:29

GeoIP has been re-installed and I am still having the same problem...

The template is there but no map..

Anyone? Please?

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinL (Post 2092493)
OK I am having an issue with this.

GeoIP is installed in PHPinfo I can see it. I installed this and I go to usermap and I see everything but the actual map. I changed the settings and everything but nothing. I am not even getting an error.

What did I do wrong? lol

Quote:

In IE8 a blank page, with these errors:

Code:
Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; Trident/4.0; GTB6.5; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Alexa Toolbar; .NET4.0C)
Timestamp: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 12:49:40 UTC

Line: 333
Char: 41
URI: http://www.XXXXX.com/usermap.php

Line: 248
Char: 1
URI: http://www.XXXXX.com/usermap.php
and

phpinfo

digitalpoint 03 Sep 2010 21:33

What version of vBulletin are you using?

KevinL 03 Sep 2010 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalpoint (Post 2093398)
What version of vBulletin are you using?

Thanks for the reply!

digitalpoint 03 Sep 2010 23:01

What's the URL?

KevinL 03 Sep 2010 23:14

Since it is not my forum I will PM you the url?

digitalpoint 03 Sep 2010 23:57

It's choking because you have no $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] set to determine the location of the user looking at the page.

Maybe some weird security system where somewhere along the way it unsets $_SERVER globals?

At the end of the usermap.php, change this:

to this:

Maybe that will work if $_SERVER is disappearing somehow.

KevinL 04 Sep 2010 00:01

nah didn't work. I don't think they have anything out of the ordinary installed.

Thanks for looking into it for me.

digitalpoint 04 Sep 2010 00:17

Well either way, $user_location isn't getting a valid array. So either $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] isn't set properly or geoip_record_by_name() isn't working... but I assume geoip_record_by_name() is working because it's able to look up addresses from the session table.

KevinL 04 Sep 2010 03:47

I will look into it further. Thanks!

500 Internal server error
by spillage
12 Sep 2010 21:22

I confirmed that the GeoIP files exist on my server, uploaded the usermap.php file to my Forums folder, imported the xml file, and rebooted the server.
I get User Map listed in the Community dropdown, but when I click on it I get the 500 Internal Server Error.

Any direction would be appreciated.

digitalpoint 13 Sep 2010 07:50

Have you checked your error logs for your web server? It should give you some detailed info about the internal server error.

I would double check that the geoip extensions are not only installed, but also the necessary databases (maybe your server sees the function, but it's missing the DB files... although I would think the function would throw an error then).

junaid 14 Sep 2010 07:59

How I can add What's Going On? (view map) like digital point?
"There are currently 1,819 users online. 364 members and 1,455 guests (view map)"

Also is it possible list user-groups separately? with original forum html colour?

BadgerDog 17 Sep 2010 21:19

Installed ..thank you ... :up:

Anyone else have their Registered members (supposed to be green) showing up in RED as Admin/Moderator group?

Is there somewhere to configure this so Admins DO NOT show up?

Thanks .. :)

Regards,
Badger

Edit: How about this question. Is there some way to simply have this mod re-start and re-gather information from scratch, to reset the pins on the map to a current state? .. thanks ... :)

Cust0ms 22 Sep 2010 13:04

Is it possible to add GeoIP PHP via .htaccess? I use shared hosting and hosting's owner do not want to add GeoIP PHP :/

RWerksman 07 Oct 2010 14:42

Is there an easy way to modify the main user generation query to show folks who have been online in the last 30, 60, or 90 days?

digitalpoint 09 Oct 2010 05:25

if you showed a pin for everyone that was online in the last 90 days you probably would crash the web browser with trying to dynamically place so many pins.

Pro-eSports.com 12 Oct 2010 23:45

Is this the download link for the stuff my provider has to install?
http://pecl.php.net/package/geoip

I need the correct download link.

digitalpoint 13 Oct 2010 22:20

Yes... that is a PHP wrapper for the C API, so you would need that also (installed first) if you don't have it already:

http://www.maxmind.com/app/c

joeldaviddc 14 Oct 2010 16:57

instaled http://pecl.php.net/package/geoip

instaled http://www.maxmind.com/app/c

geoip on phpinfo.

no, errors en error.log... but no map in screen,

firebug message:

syntax error
[Break on this error] map.setCenter(new google.maps.LatLng(, ));\n

usermap.php (line 353)

firebug details:

Pro-eSports.com 14 Oct 2010 19:49

I get the following error above the header:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...1Oct142044.gif

My host said they installed the php-geoip module. Did they forget something?