The Official vBulletin Modifications Site
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=264621

[ForumOps] vBulletin Development Environment
by ForumOps
02 Jun 2011 18:05

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/

vBulletin Development Environment

vBulletin Development Environment (VDE) is a tool that allows you to build vBulletin products entirely from the filesystem. By using the filesystem, it allows you to follow best practises such as using version control, and simply working on actual files. Having to switch between browser windows and copy/paste is extremely inefficient.

This product has been updated to work with with vBulletin 3.5 and up to the latest 4.x series.

Runtime Environment

Assuming all of your files are in place, VDE checks your ./projects directory on every page load, and injects all of your projects' templates, plugins, etc. into memory and runs them as if they were natively installed into vBulletin.

Product Builder

VDE also comes with a project builder, which allows you to export your project into a standard product XML, and also any associated files with your project.

Open Source

This product is open source, and I encourage everyone who uses it to contribute back via GitHub.

Installation Instructions

Short version: upload files, import product XML. There are slightly different instructions based on whether or not you are running vBulletin 3 or 4.

Full instructions can be found at:
https://github.com/ForumOps/vBulleti...nt-Environment

I will not be posting any change logs or detailed instructions here, because they may change heavily with each version. Please refer to the GitHub page.

Disclaimer: this product was originally developed by SirAdrian / Adrian Schneider, who is part of our staff, and the primary maintainer of the product still.

TheLastSuperman 02 Jun 2011 18:10

Awesome Adrian, thanks for releasing! - Installed!

If I weren't on staff I would nominate and vote for motm ;).

ForumOps 02 Jun 2011 18:17

My pleasure.

Please note, I will be posting some simple modifications built with this over the next week or two to try and provide more useful examples as there is a bit of a learning curve the first time around.

Adrian Schneider 03 Jun 2011 01:47

Would anyone be interested in having the ability to generate the filesystem stuff based on the product data in vBulletin? (reverse the build process)

Usage would be something like,

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

I need it myself, so will probably start that soon, but speak up if it's also useful for you so I can bump it up in the priority list.

Blaine0002 03 Jun 2011 03:31

yes! copying phrases from the admin into seperate text files is a big PAIN!

Andreas 03 Jun 2011 08:24

Awesome stuff :)

I thought about building smth. similar for a long time but never had enough time / interest to actually start developing.

You could avoid the file edit by changing

to

Guest190829 03 Jun 2011 16:36

Nice, I'll try this out on my next vB project. :up:

Sayid 03 Jun 2011 16:51

interesting mod, will try it soon in the summer holiday :D

Adrian Schneider 03 Jun 2011 16:56

Thanks, Andreas. :up: I'll try to get that updated soon, as I hate file edits.

Brandon Sheley 03 Jun 2011 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastSuperman (Post 2202755)
If I weren't on staff I would nominate and vote for motm ;).

I voted for ya :up:

Adrian Schneider 03 Jun 2011 20:05

I actually needed the ability to port an existing product into VDE today so it has been written! I'll update Github first within the next few days (maybe sooner) and the actual packages a bit later as time permits.

ForumOps 04 Jun 2011 20:42

Update: you can now specify entire directories by name rather than having to list each of their files in a project's config.php file.

Example,

Is automatically expanded to

Also, you can now import existing products into VDE automatically, by using the 'port' command:

Next up is adding is removing the required edit as per Andreas' comment above. The latest code is on GitHub - I will only have time to update the official packages once per week or so.

Has anyone had a chance to build a plugin from scratch with this yet? Would love some feedback, especially on the documentation side of things as it was quite rushed. I've been using this method for years, so my steps are probably lacking.

TheLastSuperman 04 Jun 2011 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Sheley (Post 2203121)
I voted for ya :up:

TY TY!

And Adrian coming along even better I should have been eying this closer per your comments on messenger... I believe Adrian said it took them 3 hours to port a product that should have normally taken 30+ hours via the admincp (huge btw) so all-in-all this is killer imo! I still have not tested this myself however I have installed it on the forum some of us Advisors here use as I thought it might be helpful to BirdofPrey5 and DigitalJedi if they wanted to utilize it and well me too eventually.

Just plain awesome :cool:.

Hareth 04 Jun 2011 23:04

Great work Adrian,, Thank you!

Hareth 05 Jun 2011 21:55

Not working with me!

Warning: scandir([path]/projects) [function.scandir]: failed to open dir: No error in [path]\includes\vde\runtime.php on line 115

Warning: scandir() [function.scandir]: (errno 0): No error in [path]\includes\vde\runtime.php on line 115

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]\includes\vde\runtime.php on line