vBulletin Mods

The Official vBulletin Modifications Site
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=322172

Stimulate 5.x Plugin Development
by vbresults
20 Mar 2016 07:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Luke
vBulletin 5.2.0 adds PHP Hooks to the system. While the basic system is in place, we need to know where you would like the hook locations to be within the processing of the code. We can't just replicate every vBulletin 4.X hook due to changes in the template structures. If you're interested in developing vBulletin 5 addons, we're asking you were good places to put the hooks would be.

Please download the current Alpha of vBulletin 5.2.0 and let us know where you would like them to be placed. Create a separate entry in JIRA for each request.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...-hooks-and-you

I take this to mean that somewhere there's an interest in expanding the development of mods for vB 5. In this context, what does the staff think about allowing premium plugins here?

It seems to be working well for XenForo, so taking the former into consideration it (or a trial balloon) is at least worth discussing.

Brandon Sheley 20 Mar 2016 07:52

nope

ozzy47 20 Mar 2016 11:23

Nope, no way.

MarkFL 20 Mar 2016 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbresults (Post 2567667)
I take this to mean that somewhere there's an interest in expanding the development of mods for vB 5. In this context, what does the staff think about allowing premium plugins here?

It seems to be working well for XenForo, so taking the former into consideration it's at least worth discussing.

I take this to mean that there is effort being made to make it easier for product developers to develop for vB5.2.x. Once this system of PHP plugin hooks for vB 5.2.x matures, I am certain the publishing of products for vB 5 2.x will certainly be encouraged and welcome. :)

ozzy47 20 Mar 2016 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkFL (Post 2567676)
I take this to mean that there is effort being made to make it easier for product developers to develop for vB5.2.x. Once this system of PHP plugin hooks for vB 5.2.x matures, I am certain the publishing of products for vB 5 2.x will certainly be encouraged and welcome. :)

Nope, he means allowing developers to sell mods on here, rather than offering a lite version on here, and a pro version on their site.

MarkFL 20 Mar 2016 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy47 (Post 2567677)
Nope, he means allowing developers to sell mods on here, rather than offering a lite version on here, and a pro version on their site.

Oh, okay...yeah I don't see why the policy regarding that would suddenly change. :)

ozzy47 20 Mar 2016 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkFL (Post 2567678)
Oh, okay...yeah I don't see why the policy regarding that would suddenly change. :)

Right, vB2, vB3 and vB4 do/did just fine without developers pawning their paid mods on here.

Dave 20 Mar 2016 12:11

If premium plugins were allowed or a dedicated section was made for premium plugins, it would demotivate coders to make free plugins. Most coders will start making premium plugins only.

In my opinion there are currently quite some lite plugins with a premium version released by certain coders that are horrible. They basically force you to buy the premium version. DBTech is a good example of how to do it right.

vbresults 20 Mar 2016 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 2567681)
If premium plugins were allowed or a dedicated section was made for premium plugins, it would demotivate coders to make free plugins. Most coders will start making premium plugins only.

This theory has been proven false by the xF add-on community.

ozzy47 20 Mar 2016 12:30

Don't matter what another platform does, vB is not the right place for it. Besides, there is only around 2% of the vB installs running 5.x, and also any cloud members can't use addons.

So you want to simulate addon development for vB5, spend your time fixing the many bugs in it, spend time adding hooks in as many locations as possible. You could do all this in your dev environment, and submit the fixes and improvements to vB. Then more users will adapt to the 5.x version, then you can start doing lite/pro mods as has worked on here for years.

vbresults 20 Mar 2016 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 2567681)
In my opinion there are currently quite some lite plugins with a premium version released by certain coders that are horrible. They basically force you to buy the premium version.

This is a symptom of an issue that would be resolved with the idea in question.

ozzy47 20 Mar 2016 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbresults (Post 2567685)
This is a symptom of an issue that would be resolved with the idea in question.

It would be the same thing, you will be forced to buy a premium version since you are not offering a free solution.

IggyP 20 Mar 2016 15:30

yes please i will like if i can somehow spend more money on my vb5, and if i could be denied functions for not having it, that would be great also thanks...is it possible? someone get on that :p

napy8gen 20 Mar 2016 15:36

I have been in xenforo resources. I can tell that it really works.
Developers start to flooding the resources with add on to create sales and competition will down the price and create better quality add on. Don't worry about free add ons it is alive too. You can see no price tag that is free one.

2000 add ons you cannot never denied the success of stimulating add ons.
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/

The idea to stimulate by allowing premium section is good. But the resources add on by xenforo itself is a killer.

Indirectly you stimulate vb5 sales when new buyer deciding it take a look at this market too.

IggyP 20 Mar 2016 16:10

vb5 seems like alot more powerful software at core any time i try to compare to xen...

i think the community can develop it adequately? 5.2.0 has hardly even been released and 5.2.1 seems more like the "major" release thats less rushed...imho it is still basically coming out of beta tho...

i dont see why there should be a hurry to supporting paid addons for 2000 categories but i can appreciate the sentiment...personally im 3 yrs into my vb5 ownership and yes there is a feeling like pls god can this go any faster, but locking up functions with paid additions right now i really feel is a bad move that will not be good for the community...

its not a good incentive for coders i would think either as there are still frequent upgrades, low customer #s, and in some cases, vb is adding basic functions anyway just in their own time lol

idk...personally i will rather rag vb to fix their product and make solid groundworks for 3rd party community than to pay more...i do have some customization i will gladly need to pay, but the idea of 2000 pay modification really um...who will that benefit, i dont want that