vBulletin Mods

The Official vBulletin Modifications Site
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82835

Turn on the debug mode
by MrNase
10 Jun 2005 14:57

You can turn on the debug mode simple by adding:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

to your includes/config.php just before

(which is at the end of the file ;))

To turn it off you may remove that line or change it to:

GilbertZ 29 Aug 2005 00:06

As a vb dev told me when I brought up the security implications of turning debug on: "You shouldn't be using debug mode on a live site. Use it on a private test installation that is controlled by .htaccess permissions."

Keep that in mind and if you plan to use debug on a live board for just a few minutes, make sure to turn it back off when you're done.

ProperMethodz 04 Oct 2005 05:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by GilbertZ
As a vb dev told me when I brought up the security implications of turning debug on: "You shouldn't be using debug mode on a live site. Use it on a private test installation that is controlled by .htaccess permissions."

Keep that in mind and if you plan to use debug on a live board for just a few minutes, make sure to turn it back off when you're done.

What are the possible security issues with this.

I mean the speed limit sign says 55 but I don't do 55... I go a little over. Sometimes I don't wear my seatbelt.

Tell me why I should go 55 and wear the seatbelt. :)

Then when you're done with that... tell me the reasons that debug mode creates a security issue... kthx :)

Colin F 04 Oct 2005 05:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProperMethodz
What are the possible security issues with this.

I mean the speed limit sign says 55 but I don't do 55... I go a little over. Sometimes I don't wear my seatbelt.

Tell me why I should go 55 and wear the seatbelt. :)

Then when you're done with that... tell me the reasons that debug mode creates a security issue... kthx :)

From what I understand, as anyone can see what your board is doing (query explain for example), it would be much easier to find security holes in your code.

TruckMuddr 14 Oct 2005 07:01

If your IP doesn't change and your the only one needing to use the debug mode, you can do this.

Daniel 15 Dec 2005 03:28

Thank you.

Code Monkey 15 Dec 2005 05:06

I don't understand why it's not coded to only show the info to admins.

Hellcat 15 Dec 2005 07:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by JumpD
I don't understand why it's not coded to only show the info to admins.

Maybe you want to test some things without beeing logged in as admin, or beeing logged in at all.

As I understand this, it's was never meant to be used on a "live" system anyway.

Paul M 15 Dec 2005 08:09

Actually, I have debug mode permanantly enabled in my config file - I then have a couple of plugins that disable it in the ACP and main forum, so if I need to turn it on I just disable the relevant plugin.

Mudvayne 16 Dec 2005 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruckMuddr
If your IP doesn't change and your the only one needing to use the debug mode, you can do this.

any idea to use userid instead of ip address?

EricaJoy 01 Jan 2006 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M
Actually, I have debug mode permanantly enabled in my config file - I then have a couple of plugins that disable it in the ACP and main forum, so if I need to turn it on I just disable the relevant plugin.

care to release that little goodie?

Logikos 07 Feb 2006 18:55

People who want to do this without editing files. See This Plugin.

Delphiprogrammi 07 Feb 2006 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveWire
People who want to do this without editing files. See This Plugin.

ey that's a nice one !!!! cheers

Carnage 18 Mar 2006 20:40

hmm, i hacked one board i was admin on to auto set debug mode on in the template editor cause it was the only way you could edit the Master style. (useful when adding new templates so you dont have to add them to EVERY SINGAL skin :p)

Antivirus 26 Sep 2006 15:37

What if I want to enable debug mode for two different ips?