vBulletin Mods

The Official vBulletin Modifications Site
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248617

Instant New Thread Notification
by Vitaly
14 Aug 2010 19:36

2 Attachment(s)
If you wish to subscribe forum for notification about new threads - there're only daily and weekly emailing options. This mod add choice of immediate email notification.

This mod is developped here http://github.com/rcdesign/vb-instant_new_thrd_notify . Patches are welcome.

Alecsmith 15 Aug 2010 06:28

Tagged Great work i am looking for it :)

Videx 16 Aug 2010 00:36

If this actually works from version to version of vb4 I will dance in the street. I've been using a hacked version of the old vb3 mod.

Vitaly 16 Aug 2010 09:52

No probs. Don't forget to place video on youtube.

Videx 16 Aug 2010 10:29

Problem is, I can't test it without uninstalling the hack which actually works, mostly.

It's got some options that you don't mention anything about. Does this one offer any of these?
Quote:

Allow new thread notification for Usergroups:
Do NOT allow new thread notification for Usergroups:
Allow new thread notification for Forums:
Do NOT allow new thread notification for Forums:
Use mailqueue?

Vitaly 16 Aug 2010 10:38

I think, that you imagine problem, which does not exists :) . I consider those options quite useless. Why should i add restriction to single subscribe option, if other one don't have those?

And yes, this mod uses mailqueue, according to general vb settings.

By the way, 3.8 mod doesn't use mailqueue because of programming bug. I haven't found vbmail_start() / vbmail_end() there. That causes huge count of SQL requests, if you have lot of forum subscribers.

Videx 16 Aug 2010 10:44

The option to in/exclude forums is actually very important. I wouldn't want anyone subscribing to e.g. General. Remember, with shared hosting we have very low mail limits.

Vitaly 16 Aug 2010 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Videx (Post 2084691)
Remember, with shared hosting we have very low mail limits.

IMHO, that's not serious:

1. If your server is ok with notifications for new posts (not threads), it will be ok with this mod too.
2. If your server is weak - it's good idea to uprgade it.

naws-sl 20 Sep 2010 21:06

A quick question about this mod. Does it just send a notification about a new post or can it also send the entire text of the new post?

I am looking for a mod to VB3.8 or VB4 that will allow users to subscribe to forums and receive daily digests or instant updates that include the new posts in that forum...

Thanks in advance,

Stephan

Dr.osamA 30 Dec 2010 13:23

thank you bro

rated 5 stars + translated to arabic + installed

can i add the transltion here plzz ??

thank you

LizP 13 Mar 2011 20:23

Thanks for this mod! Love it! I only wish it sent a notification of a new thread not only in the subscribed forum but in all child forums as well. Is there a way to add this feature?

chuckiebaby 16 Mar 2011 15:01

The notification link is not correct on my system.
I get something that ends in: showthread.php?p=69

The built in admin panel notification gets: showthread.php5?51-Remember-DVDs-is-Break-room

I tried replacing:
$vboptions[bburl]/showthread.php?p=$newpost[postid]

In your intm_message with
$threadlink

from the admin phrase... but that doesn't display anything
I got it to work by adding a 5 to the ".php?"
ex:
$vboptions[bburl]/showthread.php5?p=$newpost[postid]

phinphan 02 Apr 2011 15:06

I am a brand new Admin for a small forum of around 150 users. I am still getting the hang of the system. We are still in test mode with about 25 users.

I am using a new vb install running 4.1.2. I installed the product and have the choice for instant notifications in the thread subscription menu. However, I do not receive emails from the system when there is a new thread in the subscribed forum. The messages are not being trapped in my spam folder or by postini.

When I run email diagnostics, I get an email almost immediately.

Is there somewhere to adjust the settings of this product? Any suggestions?

The system is on Windows Server 2008 R2 and otherwise works fine. smtp server works as I get the diagnostic emails.

bwheelock 13 Apr 2011 00:23

The mod seems to be working for the most part, but one problem I have with it-- and maybe subscriptions in general-- is that it will notify you about threads that haven't been approved yet.

maxwell555 27 Apr 2011 16:00

i installed this module - but can't find a way of choosing its settings in acp - where can i find it? where can i switch it on / off ?