vBulletin Mods

The Official vBulletin Modifications Site
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=139689

Signature only on first post
by Zachariah
17 Feb 2007 22:52

1 Attachment(s)
Signature only on first post VB3.6x

This will cause each user's signature to be shown only on their first post on each page vs. on every post during a thread listing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thug
Hi i was wondering if theres a hack where peoples sigs only show once per page?

In the postbit or postbit_legacy template,

Find :


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

And replace it with this one:


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

There can be only one ! ~ The Highlander

Zachariah 17 Feb 2007 22:53

There is no changes in the code from the 3.5 version.

This simple template edit works on 3.x, 3.5x, 3.6x.
- If you have installed it before there is no reason to update.
- I placed this here for people who may not explore older hacks.

Smoothie 17 Feb 2007 23:35

I've been using this for quite a while (vB 3.6.4) and it works great, I use the version (3.5) you posted before this. (I know they're the same)

Zachariah 17 Feb 2007 23:43

I love it.
I still have a few 56k modem warriors that game on line, and many leave images on their personal setting as there are less to look at per page load.

:)

Smoothie 17 Feb 2007 23:47

This should be a standard option in vBulletin. Either configured by the admin or the end user. I saw the other mod that allows users to choose, but I'd rather use this.

Tralala 18 Feb 2007 00:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zachariah (Post 1184882)
I love it.
I still have a few 56k modem warriors that game on line, and many leave images on their personal setting as there are less to look at per page load.

:)

Yours was the first hack I installed to allow "one sig per page" and I like it very much! I did want to clarify though, as I posted in the thread for the other (user-selectable) version, with regards to the "impact" this has for the 56k modem warriors:

If a poster (with a video or large picture sig) has many posts (and therefore, sigs) on a page, it wouldn't be any slower for a dial-up user to download the page than if that same poster only had one post (and therefore, one sig) on the page. It's not like the page has to download the same exact thing every time. It downloads the image once, and just displays it multiple times.

(IE: if I presented an HTML page showing one single image 20 times, it doesn't download 20 copies of that file for a reader, and the page doesn't take 20 times longer to download. It downloads that image once, the web browser is simply told to display it 20 times.)

I still like this customization, however, because it can make the page easier to read and cuts down on the sig clutter! (As you say, "less to look at" per page load.) But lest anyone be confused... it won't speed up downloading time for dial-up users, per se. It may speed up browser window rendering speed. But not downloading time.

I still like it, though. :)

Jorrit787 18 Feb 2007 02:19

It would be nice if this could be a standard feature of vBulletin.

Smoothie 18 Feb 2007 03:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoothie (Post 1184889)
This should be a standard option in vBulletin. Either configured by the admin or the end user. I saw the other mod that allows users to choose, but I'd rather use this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jorrit787 (Post 1184987)
It would be nice if this could be a standard feature of vBulletin.

Duh!

Jorrit787 18 Feb 2007 04:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoothie (Post 1185033)
Duh!

What?

Tralala 18 Feb 2007 04:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jorrit787 (Post 1185049)
What?

Smoothie was making a joke that he'd already said the same thing.

Jorrit787 18 Feb 2007 05:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tralala (Post 1185057)
Smoothie was making a joke that he'd already said the same thing.

I'm aware that he already said it. I was merely adding my +1 to it.

Zachariah 18 Feb 2007 12:49

I always had an issue w/ signatures taking away from the thread's relevant information when reading 50-60 pages of posts, and seeing nothing but a bunch of self expression vs. participation in the debate.

I got to the point for 2-3 years of all that mess shoved in the member profile (where it belongs) and disabled signatures.

This allowed me to re-enable signatures. :)


Tralala,

There is less HTML to process per page of threads by the client browser, hence the page will load faster and "lag" less when scrolling up and down as there are less objects per page load.

(anyway my system lags less w/ my normal 20-30 windows open and 15 programs running)

:)

Tralala 18 Feb 2007 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zachariah (Post 1185217)
(anyway my system lags less w/ my normal 20-30 windows open and 15 programs running)

:)


I understand that and I very much appreciate it... but for folks to say "dial-up users are sure to love this" seems to miss the point. As if they are the only ones to see a benefit? As if duplicating sigs means the user has to download the same image multiple times?

I'm not putting down the add-on in any way, I use it and love it and think it should be available by default in the vBulletin core software. Precisely because it's not just for "dial-up modem warriors."

Smoothie 18 Feb 2007 18:28

If you allow signatures on your forum, it's a constant battle keeping them acceptable in size. Don't matter to me if this does or does not affect page load times, it's never been an issue on my site. What it does do is clean up the post, so you're not seeing all that other nonsense that distacts from the actual posts.

I've been on some forums where the signatures allowed are these huge images, post after post with the same images. Very annoying if you ask me. This cuts the clutter to a minimum.

Zachariah 18 Feb 2007 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tralala (Post 1185331)
Precisely because it's not just for "dial-up modem warriors."

Oh yes I hear ya. I just got a kick out of the term :p
I can recall for many years wishing I could get a 9600, 14.4, 33.6, 56k :D.
I can recall only 12 hours left for this mp3 I found !

/me dances

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoothie (Post 1185420)
I've been on some forums where the signatures allowed are these huge images, post after post with the same images. Very annoying if you ask me. This cuts the clutter to a minimum.

Exactly ! :up:


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:08.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.12
Copyright © 2019, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All Rights Reserved. vBulletin® is a registered trademark of MH Sub I, LLC
Copyright ©2001 - , vbulletin.org. All rights reserved.