Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27 Sep 2015, 03:26

Isn't that the code for the notices? I would have thought that the forumstats and forumactionlinks would have been the issue. I've been looking around in forumbits.css trying to see if there was something going on there (though it isn't showing as having been altered).

I'll go look at this, can't hurt to see what's going on...

--------------- Added 27 Sep 2015 at 03:28 ---------------

Hmm. No forumhome-rollup.css file in the templates. There is a forumhome.css, but no reference to notices in there.

--------------- Added 27 Sep 2015 at 03:30 ---------------

The only reference to .notices li is in chrome.css. The code is

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Old 27 Sep 2015, 03:39

the rollup covers all the .css files in the templates for "forumhome". When I look at the code I get what is showing for the site and not what is coded on the site per-say.

But it is showing it as being called for .notices li. Like I said, without taking a look it's a bit hard to track stuff down. vB is coded much different than a typical web site and there are a lot of global elements to contend with and not just style sheets and html.

It could have been done in the vars or any number of templates that tie into it. You just cant tell in some cases without actually seeing what was done in the vars and templates..

that one suggests that it was added to the vars for notices background..

Last edited by billstelling; 27 Sep 2015 at 03:46.
Old 27 Sep 2015, 03:55

Yeah, checked that stylevar, and it's just a color, no other vars set.

Argh. It's like trying to navigate without a map, compass or gps while wearing a blindfold, I swear. I've checked vars, and the only altered things in there are shadow colors. So back to css, I do see shadow code in several of the css files, but this one seems to be the most relevant in forumbits.css.

I hate to go messing around with the shadowing that appears in half a dozen css files. ::sigh:: And of course, I seem to be the only person who has ever had this issue, at least so far as my GoogleFu is showing.

Also, I just wanted to say, thanks for taking time to help me dig on this. I hate it when I can't figure things out and am forced to post about it, I have always been able to figure it out by researching. Not so much this.

Last edited by meadwench; 27 Sep 2015 at 04:00.
Old 27 Sep 2015, 04:21

Just wrap

tags around any html in the temlates you do not want to be used.

and for css use

that way you are not removing anything and you can try things out without breaking your theme. When ever I work on a template or css I save all the content to notepad while I am working so I can just put the code back as it was before I started in case of a fubar..

--------------- Added 27 Sep 2015 at 04:46 ---------------

You know, it would only take about hour to just rebuild it from scratch.. It would be easier than trying to sort it out as it is pretty much the base style with the header and some color changes.

Most wont answer about it because of the complexity with styling and the fact that there are several ways to go about modding or creating styles. I do realize your want to learn it and to be able to make it what you want, but it is a very complicated product and it takes years to master. With the right mentor you can get up to speed pretty quickly, but it still takes months of doing to really get your head wrapped around it.

vB4 is obsolete, like many of the other board types, but it can't be helped and has more to do with the changes in how dynamic sites are built these days compared to just a few years ago. Style sheets are being phased out and the styling is being handled within the js now to achieve on the fly style transitions within elements. It's sort of coming full circle.. But that's a whole different subject..

As your a noob, and I like bread, I'll help you out with getting your theme sorted out if you want. Try and teach you a few things as well.. You just need to create an admin account for me so I can get to the backend and work on the theme.

Also there are some awesome people here and once you really get into it you will see what I mean.. So don't be afraid to ask anything. Pretty much every post here gets a response from several of the gurus..

Last edited by billstelling; 27 Sep 2015 at 04:46.
Old 28 Sep 2015, 18:27

LOL, not really a noob, just never had the time to dig deep into 4.x. I could pretty much take 3.x apart, and hung onto it for a long time because I had it set up the way I liked.

I'd love some help, and very appreciative of your offer. I'll ping you privately. This, and my mysterious disappearing header ad (it blinks it on load, then goes away) are making me crazy.
Old 28 Sep 2015, 21:14

Noob to 4 I meant.. Was a bit late and I see today I was rambling a bit, I hate when I do that.. lol
Old 28 Sep 2015, 22:29

Eh, no worries. I do appreciate the insights. I never dug into 4 as much as I did 3. Just didn't have the time. I was an employee with a 9-5 job then. Now I'm a business owner, and much less free time, LOL.