Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
vB Spell :: Spell Checker in WYSIWYG and Standard Modes Details »
vB Spell :: Spell Checker in WYSIWYG and Standard Modes
Developer Last Online: Mar 2016 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

This modification is in the archives.
vB Version: 3.0.7 Rating: (2 votes - 5.00 average) Installs: 78
Released: 08 Jul 2005 Last Update: 26 Dec 2005 Downloads: 41
Not Supported Template Edits Additional Files  

There's also a vB 3.5 version: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...threadid=92202

What this does: vB Spell allows you to install a dictionary (English dictionary included) into your MysQL database, and provide a spell checking window that works in both of vB's editor modes, standard and WYSIWYG.

Background: Many of you liked PungoSpell, but didn't like recompiling PHP for it. Many liked PHPSpell, but didn't like the lack of WYSIWYG support and browser compatibility. vB Spell solved both problems, I hope, by combining the best of each.

Features:
o Supports most recent versions of browsers. Tested on IE, Firefox, Mozilla/Netsacpe, Opera and Konqueror (Konqueror implies Safari, but please confirm Mac folks)
o Learn Feature uses cookies, so it won't increase the database size
o Admin panel options
o Skips quoted text and other tags (PHP, code, etc.)
o Usergroup permisisons
o Template based interface, and uses your default style.
o Link buttons (Thesarus and Lookup) with links to Merriam Webster's online thesarus and dictionary links with the suggestion for misspelled words.

Installation:
1. Download vbspell.zip and upload the files and run vbspell_install.php
2. Go to AdminCP > vBulletin Options > vB Spell and edit your usergroup permisisons.
3. For each template where you would like to add a vB Spell, do the following edits (Example: editpost, newreply, newthread, etc.)

Note: For those running PHP in cgi mode and get timeouts while installing the dictionary, you can download the file dictionary_sql_for_php_cgi.zip to import it to mysql through the mysql command line.

A. Find:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Add before:

B. Find: (or anywhere in the body)

Add after:

C. Find the submit and preview buttons:

Add below:

Other templates:

Optional: Other Templates that contain edit boxes are:
USERCP_SHELL just add the first change (A) here in above the </head section. Required for pm_newpm and modifysignature.
editpost
Calendar Templates: calendar_edit
New Posting Templates: newreply, newthread
Modify User Options Templates: add the the first change (A) in USERCP_SHELL) and the rest (B and C) in modifysignature

Quick reply: . Put change (A) in showthread, above </head>. Then add change B to the beginning of showthread_quickreply. Then find

Add after it:

History:

December 25, 2005: Security fix for cases where you allow HTML posts and they contain malicious code (Credit goes to Brendan Donahue for finding the issue and alerting TechGuy, and to TechGuy for alerting me to it)

November 2nd. 2005: Fixed a bug with slashes in text.

Oct 17, 2005: v0.9.5 Cecks for primnary and secondary group permission. Also fixed quoted words.

July 10, 2005: v0.9.4 Added an error if accessing vB Spell directly, like from who's online page.

July 10, 2005: v0.9.3 Fixed a problem with capitalized first letter of words, so chosing a suggested alternative would not alter capitalization.

July 10, 2005: v0.9.2 Fixed a browser bug, fixed an installer issue effecting some, and fixed handling of some special characters.

July 9, 2005: v0.9.1 Learned words in cookies are no longer case sensitive. Abbreviations are ignored and not spell checked.

July 8, 2005. initial release, v0.9

Please click Install if you have installed this mod.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	admin.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	31764   Click image for larger version

Name:	standard.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	31765   Click image for larger version

Name:	wysiwyg.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	31766  

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
New Posting Features vB Spell :: Spell Checker in WYSIWYG and Standard Modes Replicators vBulletin 3.7 Add-ons 105 10 Nov 2011 00:27
vB Spell :: Spell Checker in WYSIWYG and Standard Modes tamarian vBulletin 3.5 Add-ons 402 19 May 2007 21:41
PungoSpell Spell Checker for vB3.5 WYSIWYG and Standard mode tamarian vBulletin 3.5 Add-ons 103 23 Oct 2006 10:17
Spell Checker: PungoSpell for vBulletin3 Standard and WYSIWYG modes tamarian vBulletin 3.0 Full Releases 254 16 Jan 2006 19:29

Old 27 Jul 2005, 16:26

Ok here's the odd thing, I had the phpSpell installed, and the button showed then, but when I reverted to the org. and then applied these changes, I get nothing.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 16:35

Originally Posted by ranger2kxlt
Ok here's the odd thing, I had the phpSpell installed, and the button showed then, but when I reverted to the org. and then applied these changes, I get nothing.
These things always happen, where we think we applied the changes correctly, but something was missed or done wrong If the template does not show the button, then the changes were either not done, or done to the wrong template, or done to the wrong style.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 16:36

idk, i've tried everything I can think of can't get it to show :-/
Old 27 Jul 2005, 16:38

HAHAHAHAH!!! ooppss....I kept adding the button to the Bottom half of the newthread, newreply and not right below the text box....ok I'm dumb, thanks for helping the idoit ;-)
Old 27 Jul 2005, 16:42

Originally Posted by ranger2kxlt
HAHAHAHAH!!! ooppss....I kept adding the button to the Bottom half of the newthread, newreply and not right below the text box....ok I'm dumb, thanks for helping the idoit ;-)
Told you This always happens to me, I attribute it to too much concentration
Old 27 Jul 2005, 16:49

Looks great *Clicked Install*
Old 27 Jul 2005, 19:45

just finished installing....5 minutes...works great! Thanks tons!

*Clicked Install*
Old 28 Jul 2005, 01:22

**clicks install**

Installed in no time at all with no errors
One question (since I dont want to guess and muck things up)
Can this be added to PMs? If so, would you mind telling me what to add and where?

Thanks for a great, easy to install, MUCH REQUESTED addition!
Old 28 Jul 2005, 01:29

Originally Posted by NYI Fan
One question (since I dont want to guess and muck things up)
Can this be added to PMs?
Yes, check the instructions for "USERCP_SHELL".
Old 29 Jul 2005, 00:18

Does this work with Opera 8.1?
Old 29 Jul 2005, 00:50

Originally Posted by Dark Visor
Does this work with Opera 8.1?
It should. I've tested with Opera 8.0 on Linux, so I assume later versions should have no problems.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 04:13

For some reason this isn't working for me (imagine that)

I've been using phpBB up until recently and I never had any problems, so I'm relatively sure I installed everything correctly. I did have one glitch during the install where in the install scipt it calls for the admincp, but I've renamed mine, so I edited the install script to reflect my changes, and everythign went smoothly after that.

Everything works, except the actual spell checking! The window pops up, everything appears in the new window, but it says "Spell checking complete."

Any ideas?
Old 29 Jul 2005, 04:18

Originally Posted by Chani
For some reason this isn't working for me (imagine that)

I've been using phpBB up until recently and I never had any problems, so I'm relatively sure I installed everything correctly. I did have one glitch during the install where in the install scipt it calls for the admincp, but I've renamed mine, so I edited the install script to reflect my changes, and everythign went smoothly after that.

Everything works, except the actual spell checking! The window pops up, everything appears in the new window, but it says "Spell checking complete."

Any ideas?
1. The obvious question is, were there any misspelled words?

2. Was the dictionary installed successfully?

3. Have you tried it with more than one browser?
Old 29 Jul 2005, 04:39

It does seem to skip over words that are not spelled correctly sometimes..... It should prompt to at least learn it but gives the ok instead. It is above my standards and im not looking for perfection as any spell check is more then deserved...
Old 29 Jul 2005, 04:44

Originally Posted by corriewf
It does seem to skip over words that are not spelled correctly sometimes..... It should prompt to at least learn it but gives the ok instead. It is above my standards and im not looking for perfection as any spell check is more then deserved...
LOL, I think the "problem" is that some misspelled words are still correct, in the sense that there are other uncommon words thet I've never heard of maching that spelling in the dictionary.

But you can test it by entering a bogus word like "hhhhhhhh", and it will stop at it, and let you either type in a replacement, or click learn to add it.