Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08 Sep 2014, 00:17

How do I disable smilies in text by default?

vBulletin 4.2.2

Where do I change the setting for "Disable smilies in text" which is unchecked by default when creating/replying to a post? (Additional Options | Miscellaneous Options:) I'd prefer that it was enabled by default.

When you start or reply, scroll down and there are three Additional Options:

Show your signature
If enabled, your signature will be displayed below the message.

Automatically parse links in text
Will turn www.example.com into http://www.example.com.

Disable smilies in text
If selected, :) will not be replaced with

The first two are checked (enabled) by default. The third, 'Disable smilies in text' is unchecked by default. This is what I want to change. The Posting Phrases Containing 'Disable smilies in text' is disable_smilies_in_text. The template this phrase is in is newpost_disablesmiliesoption:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

I'd assume that value="1" needs to be changed, and I tried that (to "0"), but it didn't have any effect. When I looked at the two other options, both contained the same value="1" as does this option, and those two are checked by default. The code to set this has to be somewhere.

Last edited by Snowhog; 08 Sep 2014 at 03:46.
Old 08 Sep 2014, 04:01

I don't know what that value of "1" does. The way you set a checkbox to checked by default is with checked="checked"

Actually I think checked ="duckies_and_bunnies" will work too. Any value at all sets it to true
Old 08 Sep 2014, 06:32

The default value of 1 is what is sent to the underlying php code if the box is checked. In a binary/boolean sense: yes/no, 0/1, checked/unchecked.

http://www.roma-antiqua.de
Old 11 Sep 2014, 04:49

This is the section of code from the newthread template that I assume causes the check boxes to be checked by default for "Show your signature" and "Automatically parse links in text", and causes the check box for "Disable smilies in text" to be unchecked by default:

My assumption is that much is missing from {vb:raw disablesmiliesoption}, but I don't know what the label, input type name, and id are for disablesmiliesoption.