Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14 Jan 2007, 03:06

Apple Ipods to car

I have a black nano 4 GIG
Looking for something that hooks up in your car so it plays through car speakers, whats it called again?
I tried google and ebay but don't know what to search for, and for those who have it is it worth it?
Old 14 Jan 2007, 03:42

You are looking for a FM modulator. This will plug in to your headphone jack, and transmit a radio signal a few feet. You tune your radio to the appropiate channel - Example: 88.3.

I hear Costco has one for $27, and I've seen them online for $35 to $95. Belkin seems to have a lot of accessories for the ipod. Shop around a bit, you'd like to have one that charges your nano at the same time it "modulates" so you don't wear out the batteries in the car.

Here is one from buy.com: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...54&dcaid=17654

I'm thinking of getting this A/V kit - the wall charger alone is $25 or more: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...54&dcaid=17654
Old 14 Jan 2007, 03:46

SWEET
Ill be sure to get one then
Thanx for the reply
Old 16 Jan 2007, 21:27

i got my ipod 30 gig nano fitted to me car.It was done by carcraft for 100 quid (this also includes charger + mount for Ipod in car so to me was well worth the money.
No more cds yeah
Old 16 Jan 2007, 21:34

I went to Tweeter and had my ipod wired into my car for $99. It hooks into my panasonic head unit and stays in my glove compartment. I can control it with the head unit, and the sound is MUCH better than anything you can get with an FM modulator.
Old 16 Jan 2007, 23:41

^That be very interesting to see.

My results is, Im going to craiglist the ipod and get a car deck instead.
More expensive but
Old 17 Jan 2007, 02:38

Although I might sound a little retro here, if you have a cassette tape deck in your car, get the thing that goes from your tape deck to the iPod headphone jack, it sounds so much better than the FM modulator. But if you're going to get a dock installed that's going to give you the best fidelity.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 02:39

Originally Posted by The Equivocate View Post
Although I might sound a little retro here, if you have a cassette tape deck in your car, get the thing that goes from your tape deck to the iPod headphone jack, it sounds so much better than the FM modulator. But if you're going to get a dock installed that's going to give you the best fidelity.
Cd/MP3 type
Can't stand cassettes
Old 17 Jan 2007, 08:07

tbh i would`nt go with them modulators - get it hard wired and then get a mount for your ipod.Then it auto tunes on a set radio station and away u go.
Ipod kills off the need for having cds in the car and with having the mount u can easy switch songs while driving (which u should`nt be doing anyway as u meant to be driving safely)
Old 17 Jan 2007, 22:02

Thanks for the info about modulators not sounding as good...for $20 I may still grab one.

I started searching as I recall a website that sells adapters for factory radios. Here is a whole article explaining the process: http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11198_7-6212328-10.html

I'll have to find that other site later.

Crutchfield sells adapter: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Y310ZkV...eThruIntro.asp
Old 17 Jan 2007, 22:17

serious the modulators are crap - i had one of them wireless ones but the sound was always crackly + u picked up interference esp on the motorway.Once i got it fitted (hardwired) never had a problem.
I just remove the holding arm and take the ipod in the house when im done with it.

2 many thieves u see - not a safe world we live in
Old 17 Jan 2007, 22:26

I just picked up a nano too, I've already looked for the fm transmitter

Love and support one another #vote2020
I offer Managed IT Services in Kansas
Old 17 Jan 2007, 23:01

Well so much for this thread.
My car was stolen last night, can't really do anything with ipod to car now...
Old 17 Jan 2007, 23:01

yikes.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 01:24

Originally Posted by Shazz View Post
Well so much for this thread.
My car was stolen last night, can't really do anything with ipod to car now...
Ouch! I gotta tell ya, my first new car I was in the process of adding things (1990). I had managed to get the price tag down to $1800 for custom speakers and amps. One night, I forgot and left the head unit in, they got that, my RD, 10 cd's, my briefcase with a semesters worth of labs and homework, plus they damaged my door, locks, pulled the hood release cable so hard it broke (my hood would stick, you needed to actaully push it down to release it) and cut my battery cable to silence the car alarm. I was out the $400 head unit, but glad I never actaully spent the $1800+ for the gear I wanted. Since then it's been factory radio hell (I drive a ford) and the only cd's I keep in the car, I burn myself.

Today's car bling is crazy. All sorts of ground effects, body panels, then add neon lights, blinking lights, and loud stereos to attract attention. It was already said - You can't keep nice things out in the open. I just shake my head when I see the youngsters having fun, 'cause I know one night they are going to suffer.

I hope you still have your iPod.