Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18 Aug 2014, 19:22

How Post Count is Calculated

I have a question about how post counts are determined. I have one member who has 5042 posts, according to the database using this query:

SELECT count(*)
FROM post
WHERE username = 'xxx'

But that gets 42 more rows than what the post count in the forum is, which says 5000 even.

The "visible" field has 5039 1's and 3 2's, if that means anything.

What would cause the difference?

Thanks.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 19:57

Do any of your forums have "Count Posts Made in this Forum Towards User Post Counts" set to No?

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
I will NOT help via PM (you will be directed to post in the forums for help.)
Old 18 Aug 2014, 20:14

Interesting. Is there a way to check that in the database, as opposed to checking the individual forum settings?

--------------- Added 18 Aug 2014 at 20:23 ---------------

I'm not seeing any of the obvious forums set that way, like private forums and threads.

Could it have anything to do with deleted forums or threads? How about soft deleted posts?

Last edited by tsptom; 18 Aug 2014 at 20:24.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 20:27

Its possible it could be due to soft deleted posts, or posts that are in moderation.
You can get access to my 180 mods for vB 3.6 - 4.x at The Admin Zone as well as the professional support you are used to. New vBulletin Spider Definitions, vBulletin Spiders List Hits 1000 Spiders! ​ OzzModz down. Site has had a data breach, checking how the intrusion happened. Change your PW if you use the same one on my site and others.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 20:33

Thanks. Do you know how to eliminate soft deleted posts from this select statement?

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Old 18 Aug 2014, 20:44

Try this:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

You can get access to my 180 mods for vB 3.6 - 4.x at The Admin Zone as well as the professional support you are used to. New vBulletin Spider Definitions, vBulletin Spiders List Hits 1000 Spiders! ​ OzzModz down. Site has had a data breach, checking how the intrusion happened. Change your PW if you use the same one on my site and others.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 21:05

Adding visible took it down to the 5039. (there were three 2's in the visible column).

I think I will just have to go with the "posts" column in the user table. It matches the current forum's post count, but not what I count using the select. I was just curious why they didn't match.

Thank you!