Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25 May 2014, 12:18

Originally Posted by Spangle View Post
Have you tried using "text-align" or even "span"

If you search W3 Schools there should be an answer in there.
Using relative movement is closest to what I require, but it also created a gap in between the cells were my new gridlines are. See below :

Im sure its padding like they suggested at vB.com but it just doesn't work, at least I can't get it to work. The text in the cells look fixed in position relative to the cell borders, surely that can't be the way its supposed to work can it? That completely takes the power away from any web designers hands in customising the look of the site
Old 25 May 2014, 12:34

Originally Posted by aleheroix View Post
Using relative movement is closest to what I require, but it also created a gap in between the cells were my new gridlines are. See below :

Im sure its padding like they suggested at vB.com but it just doesn't work, at least I can't get it to work. The text in the cells look fixed in position relative to the cell borders, surely that can't be the way its supposed to work can it? That completely takes the power away from any web designers hands in customising the look of the site
Not sure if this will help, however when I wanted to use larger Icons for my forum, Lynne gave me this to add to css.additional.css it may help, or even point you in the right direction

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Old 25 May 2014, 17:00

Smile

Not sure if this will help, however when I wanted to use larger Icons for my forum, Lynne gave me this to add to css.additional.css it may help, or even point you in the right direction

Yes, thanks. That did help actually.

It's still not right as the colour of some of the borders aren't included in the stylevar editor (if not all of them). I couldn't manage to get a border around the subforums section or category header however, no amount of poking and prodding got a border on that. Also, some of the borders from the default style kinda look rough with the new (retro) borders, though I suspect I can make them transparent in the stylevar editor.

In the hope that anyone else finds this useful, and anyone else helping me further with it, I will post the code here :

Through no experience of CSS I have managed get the classic vBulletin borders back on the listing pages. It looks so much clearer and easy to distinguish than the standard skin, why they decided to not have them in I wouldn't know. I even bought a crappy skin just because it had the borders on, but it looks even worse than the modified default skin so that was a waste of $20.

Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited by aleheroix; 25 May 2014 at 17:15.
Old 25 May 2014, 17:15

Yes, thanks. That did help actually.

It's still not right as the colour of some of the borders aren't included in the stylevar editor (if not all of them). I couldn't manage to get a border around the subforums section or category header however, no amount of poking and prodding got a border on that. Also, some of the borders from the default style kinda look rough with the new (retro) borders, though I suspect I can make them transparent in the stylevar editor.

In the hope that anyone else finds this useful, and anyone else helping me further with it, I will post the code here :

Through no experience of CSS I have managed get the classic vBulletin borders back on the listing pages. It looks so much clearer and easy to distinguish than the standard skin, why they decided to not have them in I wouldn't know. I even bought a crappy skin just because it had the borders on, but it looks even worse than the modified default skin so that was a waste of $20.

Any help is much appreciated!
have you tried :

border-color:red; ? or whatever colour you want ?

The subforums re a PIA, I wanted to change the icons for them as well as the main icons, but no-one seems to know how to do that either, so adding borders will be in the same boat I suspect.
Old 25 May 2014, 17:32

have you tried :

border-color:red; ? or whatever colour you want ?

The subforums re a PIA, I wanted to change the icons for them as well as the main icons, but no-one seems to know how to do that either, so adding borders will be in the same boat I suspect.
I've tried :

The last one not having anything after the prefix (as in "tr.subforum-list" then its just "td" with no ".")
Old 25 May 2014, 17:46

I wanted to change the icons for them as well as the main icons, but no-one seems to know how to do that either, so adding borders will be in the same boat I suspect.
I have posted that before a couple of times. I think I posted it on vbulletin.com, so you may want to try a search there.

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
I will NOT help via PM (you will be directed to post in the forums for help.)
Old 25 May 2014, 17:51

Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
I have posted that before a couple of times. I think I posted it on vbulletin.com, so you may want to try a search there.
No help with the category-header and subforum-list?

--------------- Added 25 May 2014 at 19:24 ---------------

This does put an ugly black line on the category-header...

Old 25 May 2014, 21:16

This is what I use on my vB5 site for the main page:

This is what I use to change the icons:

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
Old 25 May 2014, 21:16

No help with the category-header and subforum-list?

--------------- Added 25 May 2014 at 19:24 ---------------

This does put an ugly black line on the category-header...

try removing .category-header from that bit of css

The border styling should not be applied to it then
Old 25 May 2014, 21:27

Tried a search on VB.com and found this :

But that doesn't work for sub forums.

The code you suggested above is OK if you only want a new and old icon, I would like to have a different icon for each sub-forum.
Old 25 May 2014, 21:43

Thumbs up

This is what I use on my vB5 site for the main page:

This is what I use to change the icons:

Wow, cheers Lynne!

That looks loads better than my attempt. I guess I need to have a bit more practice, huh?
Old 25 May 2014, 23:47

Tried a search on VB.com and found this :

But that doesn't work for sub forums.

The code you suggested above is OK if you only want a new and old icon, I would like to have a different icon for each sub-forum.
Then use the data-channel-id in the CSS declaration. (He gives an example of how to use that in post 4 of the thread you just linked to).

W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
Old 26 May 2014, 00:03

Then use the data-channel-id in the CSS declaration. (He gives an example of how to use that in post 4 of the thread you just linked to).
I tried that and it didn't work for sub-forums
Old 26 May 2014, 01:02

Try using firebug, or whatever web developer tool you have, to see the CSS. It uses this as the declaration:

.forum-list-container .subforum-list .subforum-item .icon, .forum-list-container .forum-item.sub .cell-forum .icon {stuff}

So, use that with the data-id stuff.

W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
Old 26 May 2014, 11:22

Try using firebug, or whatever web developer tool you have, to see the CSS. It uses this as the declaration:

.forum-list-container .subforum-list .subforum-item .icon, .forum-list-container .forum-item.sub .cell-forum .icon {stuff}

So, use that with the data-id stuff.
I've been trying that for several hours on and off, I can remove the default icons, but cannot display the custom icons, even if I use the full url.