Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Simple vB User login and access control on non vB pages Details »
Simple vB User login and access control on non vB pages
Developer Last Online: Nov 2011 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

This modification is in the archives.
vB Version: 3.7.0 RC 1 Rating: (7 votes - 5.00 average) Installs: 98
Released: 21 Mar 2008 Last Update: Never Downloads: 1251
Not Supported Additional Files Re-usable Code Translations  

Hack Description

This is a cut down version of the user authentication and access control system I use on the non vB pages on my website.

This uses the vB 3.7 login system to log you in and out. It allows you to move between your forums and other pages on your site while remaining logged in.

It allows you to do things such as restrict pages by usergroup, display different content depending on a user being logged in or not.
For example, you can have banner Adds displaying to non members only, and/or let members access to specific content.

Ive cut it down to the bare minimum that it needs to work, no fancy stuff such as avatars, PM's, or even formating.

I will try and offer support, but work and family commitments mean I don't have much free time.

This code is a mix of my own, and pieces I have used from other hacks that are floating around.

This script has been confirmed as working on
  • vB 3.7 RC1

Change log

Version 2.00 (21st March 2008)
  • Initial vB 3.7.x release

Click on Install
If you have this script installed then please click on the install link because;
  • You will get notified if any security issues are reported.
  • You will get notified when there are any upgrades to this script
  • It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling and motivates me to develop more

Donations
First of all, to be clear. This script is 100% free.

However if you feel an urge to donate I'm not going to say no.
Donations can be made at http://www.billspaintball.com/vb3/bd_donate.php

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	cep-loggedin.jpg
Views:	1505
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	77562   Click image for larger version

Name:	cwp-loggedout.jpg
Views:	1579
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	77563  

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Integration with vBulletin Simple vB User login and access control on non vB pages Billspaintball vBulletin 3.6 Add-ons 188 25 Jan 2013 17:40
Deluxe vB User login and access control on non vB pages Billspaintball vBulletin 3.5 Add-ons 393 13 Jul 2011 22:50
Integration with vBulletin Deluxe vB User login and access control on non vB pages Billspaintball vBulletin 3.7 Add-ons 76 06 Jun 2011 22:44
Integration with vBulletin Deluxe vB user login and access control for non vB pages - REVISED Mastar vBulletin 3.6 Add-ons 12 15 May 2009 17:17
Simple vB User login and access control on non vB pages Billspaintball vBulletin 3.5 Add-ons 254 31 Jan 2009 11:57

Old 12 Dec 2008, 18:48

Thank you!
Old 19 Dec 2008, 10:39

I've finally got the script working - almost.

I can log in alright - but it does not show that i am logged in on the frontpage - only the log in box.

I've checke my cookies path in the admincp and it is set to "/" - I've tried different browser and clearing my cookies etc. But nothing seems to work?

If it is to any help - im using wordpress.

Last edited by MadsK; 19 Dec 2008 at 13:59.
Old 20 Dec 2008, 23:41

In response of MadsK, this bug seems to happen to a lot of us. I would really like to get some help from the developer of the code or from anyone else to find a way to solve this problem. This login box is a really important part of my website and right now it's a pain in the a** not to be able tu use it
Old 23 Dec 2008, 00:26

I found the trick to make it happen.

Below is the code i use for my site. It has been altered a little with some extra links after you've logged in but they can be changed. I've tested it with a couple of different friends on different computers, operating systems and browsers and it works on all of them.

With that said this is only working with Wordpress as it collects the cookie from the wordpress database and outputs it. When logging out it also clears both wordpress and vbulletin cookie!

I would really like some feedback on it

You can see it in action on my website http://www.swtorcommunity.com

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Old 26 Dec 2008, 02:38

Than you for this useful hack!

How can i include header and navbar template to this script?
Old 26 Dec 2008, 20:02

MadsK, any way to make your code work for those who aren't on Wordpress?
Old 03 Jan 2009, 22:14

You could try to replace the $user_id with the vbulletin equilant. But i'm not sure which that is.
Old 08 Jan 2009, 06:00

Okay - first off Props to the poster - this is a great little addon

Now if anyone is having issues with login.php here is the be all fix

put the .php file inside your /forums directory

this will solve most issues as you are using vbulletin functionality from outside it's operating path - and is where you are most likely running into issues

For example prior I had a php page at mydomain/LINKS - the index.php was the link checker. When adding this hack in that /LINKS dir I was having issue (and I am not a code noob) - however the moment I put the php in my /forums directory and replaced my index.php on /LINKS with a frame loading the php from it's new location - everything works fine

Any just a bitta info - oh and always - perfect syntax people

Peace

.*
Old 09 Jan 2009, 04:11

Nope it doesn't work.

I put the .php that contains the login form in my forum folder, still shows as if i'm logged out.
Old 20 Feb 2009, 05:15

Ok, I've been trying to get this working for a fair while now, I'm getting the same problem as a lot of people here, the script continues to show the login form after logging in.

I'm running Ubuntu and FF3, it shows logged out, however running under IE6 (using wine) it worked correctly the first time only (would work again even clearing cookies, history, re-opening browser etc).
I noticed when it did work it sent back a session string as a _GET variable, but I couldn't get it to do that more than once without resetting my cookies etc.

Still gonna work on it some more, but thought I'd share what I've found so far.

cOwMoO
Old 30 Mar 2009, 14:40

We've just start re-coding our main website and one of the things on our wishlist was to integrate the vb login sequence and have vb help determine what 'non-registered' users can or can't do. Easy to use, easy to install and works like a charm. It has also encouraged me to look further into this and see what else is possible. Excellent work and thank you for this simple but very effective mod.
Old 13 Nov 2009, 11:19

Just a brief heads up for anyone who is interested, initial testing shows that this works with vB4 beta 3
Old 14 Nov 2009, 14:45

thanks for that headsup Bill. I was about to come ask that. I've come to rely on this script a bit over the years (actually, an older version I think) and wanted to make sure it'd still work with the upgrade.
Old 14 Dec 2009, 22:34

Originally Posted by MadsK View Post
I found the trick to make it happen.

Below is the code i use for my site. It has been altered a little with some extra links after you've logged in but they can be changed. I've tested it with a couple of different friends on different computers, operating systems and browsers and it works on all of them.

With that said this is only working with Wordpress as it collects the cookie from the wordpress database and outputs it. When logging out it also clears both wordpress and vbulletin cookie!

I would really like some feedback on it

You can see it in action on my website http://www.swtorcommunity.com

You are a champion!!!!

I have been looking everywhere for a Wordpress login.

You made my day!

How can I display some user info ie: user photo/thread count/new messages like this mod:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=173698

Thanks again and hope you can help out

Andy
Old 05 Jan 2010, 13:23

So a quick question regarding user authentication as I got this working really well now - at the moment it is checking for user ID "6" which is admin - non admins are moved to the site frontpage and information isnt loaded - however what I would like to do is have multiple usergroups able to access the page - ie 6,12,13 - would I then just change the code to

or would I have to make nested id statements?