Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Moderate New Registrations Based On IP Geographical Origin Details »
Moderate New Registrations Based On IP Geographical Origin
Developer Last Online: Nov 2018 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 3.8.1 Rating: (14 votes - 4.93 average) Installs: 166
Released: 11 Feb 2009 Last Update: Never Downloads: 611
Not Supported Uses Plugins Additional Files  

Original 3.7 mod here.

This mod will put any new registration into moderation so you can either approve or deny based on the physical location of the IP address. If the IP is located in a country that you white list, the registration will go through as normal.

This may be different for everyone else, but on my forums, I have yet to have a Russian IP sign up for anything other than posting SPAM. This plugin has moderated them all!

I hope to have time to eventually expand this to do other things.

You MUST download the zone files from this site:

http://www.ipdeny.com/ipblocks/ (download the "all files" file)

The free license does not allow me to include them with the product, plus it is better to download the latest files anyway.

No real screenshots to show here, sorry.

Changelog:

12/20/2008
  • Coded the routine in, instead of using external whois program.
  • Now compatible with Windows
  • (39 download of 1.0) (3.7.x)
2/11/2009
  • 77 downloads at this point (3.7.x)
  • Rewrote application to use zone files rather than relying on Arin
To upgrade, READ THE README, and re-install product (select overwrite).

Don't forget to:

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Administrative and Maintenance Tools Moderate New Registrations Based On IP Geographical Origin Jafo232 vBulletin 3.7 Add-ons 49 27 Aug 2012 16:36
Moderate Registrations From Certain IP Addresses Tigga vBulletin 3.0 Full Releases 16 08 Jun 2005 17:54

Old 12 Oct 2010, 15:40

Originally Posted by imported_silkroad View Post
I will not be around in this mod-thread very long.
On behalf of the rest of the thread, thank you.
Old 12 Oct 2010, 15:54

I don't think any agrees with you, djbaxter.

You are simply a mod cheer leader who does not understand what he is talking about and is not interested to learn more. You have provided no relevant technical information and you reject knowledge, as if knowledge is some kind of distasteful virus, LOL.

Plus, you are also not honest, since you said you were not going to post a reply and not argue, but you prove that (1) you don't understand geo-location, (2) you don't understand anti-spam technology, and (3) you like to argue about things you really have little clue about.

You should try to learn about geo-location and other technologies and contribute v. just being a forum-mod cheer leader (and a dishonest one at that!)

Ask some useful question, if you care about this mod... and try to improve it, if you have the technical ability.
Old 12 Oct 2010, 15:58

This is a nice mod, but wouldn't it be both more accurate and more "updated" to simply use use mod_geoip for Apache2 and install the free MaxMind GeoIP database which is (claimed to be) 99.5% accurate at the country level?

Then the code could be much more simple, to simply match the white list (or black list) vB options country code with the country code from a very simple Apache2 mod_geoip function:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.
Sure this would be great.. You would not happen to know how to do this on a shared server would you?
Old 12 Oct 2010, 16:05

I don't think any agrees with you, djbaxter.

You are simply a mod cheer leader who does not understand what he is talking about and is not interested to learn more. You have provided no relevant technical information and you reject knowledge, as if knowledge is some kind of distasteful virus, LOL.

Plus, you are also not honest, since you said you were not going to post a reply and not argue, but you prove that (1) you don't understand geo-location, (2) you don't understand anti-spam technology, and (3) you like to argue about things you really have little clue about.

You should try to learn about geo-location and other technologies and contribute v. just being a forum-mod cheer leader (and a dishonest one at that!)

Ask some useful question, if you care about this mod... and try to improve it, if you have the technical ability.
I believe you have me confused with someone else.
Old 12 Oct 2010, 16:08

Originally Posted by Jafo232 View Post
Sure this would be great.. You would not happen to know how to do this on a shared server would you?
I think most servers in shared environments have mod_geoip, mod_curl, etc. installed already. They can also run geoip as Javascript, etc.

These mods and capabilities are pretty standard these days.

For those small number of forums who don't, they can configure geoip in many other ways too. Please see the MaxMind API documentation. They describe many APIs (Perl, PHP, C, Java, etc).

Did you read the MaxMind GeoIP API docs?
Old 12 Oct 2010, 16:10

Here is a list of APIs supported from the MaxMind web site:

GeoIP APIs
Old 12 Oct 2010, 16:15

As someone who has a lot of experience with other peoples shared server you are wrong. It is not installed on the vast majority.

As for using the API, sure, that is an option, but then you open up several other issues:
  1. What if their service is down?
  2. What if the shared environment will not allow curl, furl_open etc.? There are quite a few who do not.
Old 12 Oct 2010, 16:19

I think you don't understand GeoIP, Jafo !!

Most people run the database on their server and don't make a remote call back to the remote (the MaxMind) web site !

You really have not read the full documentation and you have no experience installing GeoIP.

Do you really think that the only way to use GeoIP is to make a remote call back to their (the MaxMind) server??

Really?
Old 12 Oct 2010, 16:24

I think you don't understand GeoIP, Jafo !!

Most people run the database on their server and don't make a remote call back to the their (the MaxMind) web site !

You really have not read the full documentation and you have no experience installing GeoIP.

Do you really think that the only way to use GeoIP is to make a remote call back to their (the MaxMind) server??

Really?
Hey silkroad, I work for multi-million dollar websites, go back to picking your nose..
Old 12 Oct 2010, 16:32

Originally Posted by Jafo232 View Post
Hey silkroad, I work for multi-million dollar websites, go back to picking your nose..
Hey Jafo,

You might work for multi-million dollar websites; but you don't understand anything about GeoIP.

You have never installed it. You have not read the documentation. You know nothing about it.

PS: Multi-million dollar web sites don't run on shared hosting. Sounds like you work on little tiny web sites, LOL, Since only small web sites run on shared hosting without root access.

You can argue now, and you can hurl all the insults you want; but the bottom line is that you have no idea what you are talking about.

While I am off "picking my nose", why don't you go download the GeoIP API you like and install it and learn something about what you need to learn.

If you are such a great "web guru on multi million dollar sites" you can update your mod to use GeoIP before I get a chance to do "the pickin'"

Your mod is really poorly written. Why not listen and improve it?

Edit: Why do you think OpenX Ad server, which serves more ads that any (free) ad server on the market, uses GeoIP?

Last edited by imported_silkroad; 12 Oct 2010 at 16:38. Reason: Edit:
Old 12 Oct 2010, 16:39

Listen you little imp,

GeoIP is about as important to me as the booger you just ate. I work with API's that make GeoIP look as small as your penis. Go back to work at your fastfood joint and leave programming and server administration to the professionals.

The shared hosting I speak of is from the thousands of installs a level 7 vb coder has to support. Where are you on this list? Oh, you're not even on it.

I DONATE my time to make mods. All you do is talk smack and develop NOTHING. You're opinion does not matter.
Old 21 May 2011, 10:57

Great mod, many thanks.

Here's a country code list for Western developed countries only and their associated overseas territories, in case anyone else has a forum that is predoiminantly frequented by people from those types of countries:

AU,AS,GU,JP,DE,DK,FR,FI,NZ,PH,SG,TH,AG,BS,BB,BM,CA,MQ,PR,KN,LC,US,UM,VG,VI,ZA,BR ,FK,AN,BE,HR,CY,CZ,GR,IS,IE,IL,IT,JO,KW,LB,LI,MC,MS,ML,NO,PL,PT,ES,SE,CH,GB

Last edited by furnival; 21 May 2011 at 14:28. Reason: forgot a couple
Old 25 Nov 2011, 04:56

Worked for a few weeks, but now having problems.

I've got Austria in my whitelist (AT), yet registrations from that country are moderated.

China, Vietnam, Pakistan and Sri Lanka are getting through, despite not being on the whitelist.

All zone files are current, installed in the proper location, and world-readable. Valid country codes are all properly separated with commas.

Nice concept, but it's not working. For many of us, a blacklist of countries would work better than a whitelist, especially considering that there's certain countries with a reputation as being forum spam friendly (China, Russia, India, Pakistan, Vietnam, Philippines, Belarus, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nigeria)
Old 03 Dec 2011, 11:12

I have used this mod for several years and love it
Stops most spam from even being seen
Is there any way of making it compatible with cloudflare
Old 04 Dec 2011, 07:31

I installed the mod, it had only us and ca could join, an hour after install I get anew spammer 91.207.5.198

That is from Ukraine

How can I fix the problem

Thanks

Otis

For any advice