Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
AME 2.5 - Media Embedding for posts, sigs, vm's, groups and blogs Details »
AME 2.5 - Media Embedding for posts, sigs, vm's, groups and blogs
Developer Last Online: Jan 2019 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 3.8.0 Rating: (192 votes - 4.75 average) Installs: 1968
Released: 20 Jan 2009 Last Update: 09 Dec 2009 Downloads: 12887
Not Supported DB Changes Uses Plugins Template Edits Additional Files  

From the makers of the letters O and Yea comes the hottest 'must have mod' of the season: AME 2.5 - The Return of The Hot Mama.

Thanks everyone for making AME 2.5 Mod of the Month

AME is the multi award winning modification that smartly scans new and edited posts for URLs from a customisable variety of web sites (i.e. YouTube or Amazon or about 200 others). If it finds a match, AME will 'transform' the URL into inline embedded media without your users ever having to even think about it.

It was important for me to create a system that did not need updating (and subsequent reinstalling) every time one of the sites it supported decided to change the way it displayed its media (which is all the fricken time). Therefore I built a system in which the 'definitions' for each site could be imported, exported, tweaked and shared on a whim. This way, you only have to import the definitions that you want. It also allows the vB community to get creative and share definitions that I wouldn't of thought of!

Which sites are supported?

Included in the default installation is YouTube and Amazon. At time of posting this, I believe that there are over 180 sites supported that have been created by the vBulletin community. These range from sites that stream videos to Amazon referral links to locally hosted music and video files.

Check out the 'add ons' section of this post below to see availible add-ons.

For a total list of features and an FAQ, see click here.
For a post on troubleshooting, click here.

Though not tested on any version of vBulletin lower than 3.7.4, in theory it should work on versions 3.5 and higher (just dont quote this bit!).

Big thanks goes out to all those in the community that have supported this mod. Especially Digital Jedi who gives great support on this mod and has created over 160 definitions for this system alone!

Installation/Upgrade
  • Upload the contents of the forums folder into your forums directory and import the product-ame.xml file into your product manager (if upgrading, choose 'yes' to overwrite previous installation).
  • After installation, make sure that the system is on (admincp->AME CP->Settings)
  • Then you may want to try to rebuild old URLs via the tools option.

Change Log
nJoy

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Addons

Supporters / CoAuthors

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	newpost.jpg
Views:	6638
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	93148   Click image for larger version

Name:	newpost_result.jpg
Views:	9503
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	93149  

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Add-On Releases DJ's AMEs :: Media Definitions for AME 2.5 :: More Video, Twitter, Pinterest... Digital Jedi vBulletin 3.8 Add-ons 2086 05 Sep 2018 16:05
Add-On Releases Digital Sith's AMEs - ADULT Media Definitions Digital Sith vBulletin 3.6 Add-ons 66 08 Sep 2015 23:44
Show Thread Enhancements AME 2.0 -Auto Media Embedding for posts, blogs, visitor and group messsages The Geek vBulletin 3.7 Add-ons 954 25 May 2014 10:58
Add-On Releases DJ's AME (Auto Media Embedding) XML Media Definitions (Third Time's the Charm) Digital Jedi Modification Graveyard 828 10 Mar 2010 06:45

Old 04 Nov 2010, 18:15

on forum add a lot of youtube videos is to use this mod, or make better use of bbсode?
Old 04 Nov 2010, 21:10

I couldn't imagine there would be much of a difference between this mod and a bb code- both are using search and replace algorithms.

@BirdOPrey5 | All Things BOP5 | Joe's Ultimate Off Topic
Note - I no longer making new VB mods, sorry.
Old 04 Nov 2010, 21:52

BirdOPrey5, thanks
Old 05 Nov 2010, 15:58

does this work with 4.08 ?
Old 05 Nov 2010, 16:51

No, there was a 4.0 version released by someone else but I think I read it stopped working several 4.0.x versions back.

Old 05 Nov 2010, 17:35

thanks. this is not good for me. :-(
Old 05 Nov 2010, 18:58

Can you help me too please?

I've got a problem with youtube.
I suddenly only see an icon with the link behind it, but film won't embed.

When I try to embed this link for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGtk1dHLSKM

It will look like:
[icon here] YouTube - Johnny Winter playing Red House in 1991

When I put my mouse over it, it says:
External Embedding not Available.

How can I fix this? I already tried reinstalling the product and also deleting all definitions and importing new ones.
And the Validation Regex box is empty!
When I disable extraction globally and edit/save a post, the video's become embedded double with some strange text between them. When enabling extracting globally, only icons with links remain. This goes for ALL youtube video's.

I'm using VBulletin 3.8.5. and Ame 2.5.

This question is also in the DJ's AME definitions thread, but I think it should be here in this thread, correct?
Old 09 Nov 2010, 16:43

My own question regarding self hosted video (i.e., wmv) on what folks may be doing here in conjunction with AME.

Currently, I have a /videos directory for which I upload such files. Then use the AME internal linking to present. Recommendations on implementing access to non-admins? Just create an FTP account for that folder only? Is there a hack (e.g., downloadsII) that could be mated in combination for a non-admin (general ugroup)?

Thanks for any ideas, recommendations, and direction!
Old 20 Nov 2010, 15:48

sry when it come for vb 4.0.8 ?
Old 24 Nov 2010, 15:17

Is there a way to "cutoff" the container title text after, let's say 50 characters?

If it is longer than 60 characters on my style, it goes to a 2nd line and due to my images used, they are not multiple line friendly. Please let me know if there's a way to "cutoff" text and add something like "..." to the end to show there is more to the title. Thanks!

EDIT: Examples attached. One with a "normal" title. One with a "2-line" title.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg example_title_text_normal.JPG (38.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg example_title_text.JPG (37.3 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by y2krazy; 24 Nov 2010 at 15:23.
Old 25 Nov 2010, 09:25

Hi everyone.

I'm having a javascript error in internet explorer 8 at this line.

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

The product works fine but I hate to see javascript errors in explorer status bar.

Are you guys having the same problem? I'm running 3.8.5 and the latest ame 2.5.6

Edit:

If I disable this plugin the error goes away.

Does anyone know what this plugin does?

Last edited by nektar; 25 Nov 2010 at 09:41.
Old 25 Nov 2010, 14:05

I'm pretty sure that plugin "Hides" (or disables) AME for usergroups who aren't allowed to use it- if for some reason you disabled it for some users. I know one site for example where they disable it for guests.

Old 30 Nov 2010, 01:17

I wonder if it would be possible to make a definition that would work for any web site and pull the "title" of the site and put it as the link, so instead of:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/index.php
you'd get
vBulletin.org Forum

Otherwise is there some way to make this work nicely with this existing mod?
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=189658

It works but the titles on youtube videos become full URL's instead of titles with both mods enabled.

Old 02 Dec 2010, 01:46

Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
I'm using this but it's pretty standard I think.

Regular Expression:

Replacement:

Replace my affiliate code (in red) with your own.
Okay I think I have found the problem. If you take a shortened Amazon link, like those you get from a Google search, it works just fine. The syntax is usually http://www.amazon.com/product-name-here/dp/JDISHIOEHO and AME turns it into http://www.amazon.com/product-name-h...filiatecode-20 . This validates using Amazon link checker just fine.

The problem arises if you use a longer Amazon link, like the ones you get when you search for an item at Amazon.com. These URLs already have a question mark in them, like ?ie=UTF8&blahblah . If you copy that, the AME appends ?tag=youraffilaitecode-20 to the end of the URL. This will not validate using the Amazon link checker, presumably because two question marks appear in the URL.

You can make it validate by appending &tag=youraffiliatecode-20 to the end of the URL instead. The problem is this syntax will not validate with the shorter URL format you might copy off Google.

All is fine if you are the only one putting Amazon links on your forum, but of course you want it to automatically append the right tag for whatever type of Amazon link a user might post.

Anyone handy with definitions have an idea on how to use ?tag= for shorter Amazon links and &tag= for the longer types that have a ? in the URL already? Maybe two separate ones?

One possible idea is that you append this to the end of any url ?tag=youraffiliatecode-20&tag=youraffiliatecode-20 . This seems like it works in limited testing, but I'm not all that familiar with AME definitions and Amazon URL formats to say for sure. Sometimes redundancy is good, sometimes it is not...

Last edited by carsafety; 02 Dec 2010 at 01:58.
Old 02 Dec 2010, 02:48

If what you say is true I would make the replacement link always have an ?= even if it's a dummy value it should just be ignored, ?dummy=5... then the &tag=affiliatecode should always work. I don't know if this would pass the amazon link checker but it should work in practice.