Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Article Options
Old 26 Feb 2014, 19:42

Could you show me?? As I say, I'm new on this, and don't have idea where is the CSS of Vbulletin...
Old 01 Mar 2014, 00:54

Originally Posted by Digital Jedi View Post
That would be outside the scope of the article, since that's a Facebook thing. You would need to look at their documentation or articles such as this one for what you need to do control how thumbnails show up.

Hello again,

I am creating a photography database application, so sharing pictures is an absolute must. When a person is on the "view pic" page, a facebook link is there as well so that the person can share the pic on facebook.

I am able to share the post to the person's wall, successfully, but instead of presenting a thumbnail of my desired photo, all that is being posted is a thumbnail of my forum logo. I cannot figure out how to override this and include the desired picture in the Facebook popup for posting. I tried to follow the instructions on your link, and it simply doesn't work. It's beyond a FB problem, it's intrinsic to vBulletin, and it's driving me nuts.

Before I make the dynamic solution to this problem, my goal is to first establish a static proof-of-concept. Here is the html I am using in the root directory. Notice I am intending on using the Facebook OpenGraph tool to a linked picture:

It is as if all the custom "meta" tags are being completely ignored by something inside vBulletin.

How can I include a custom pic in my Facebook Shares? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

A pic of what happens when I click the Facebook button is shown in the attached Pic (notice that other metatags are also being completely ignored.)

This is the picture that SHOULD be appearing on the Share:

However, the attached below (my forum logo) is what's actually getting displayed. What do I have to do to get the desired pic to override the default posting of the logo?

Help is greatly appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: gif Facebook_Fail.gif (49.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 01 Mar 2014, 18:07

Right now, if I go to your site, you have it turned off. That means an Unregistered user may not see a thing. And, if you are testing your script while it is turned off, remember that Facebook is an Unregistered User and so the only image they can grab is your logo.

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
I will NOT help via PM (you will be directed to post in the forums for help.)
Old 01 Mar 2014, 22:48

Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
Right now, if I go to your site, you have it turned off. That means an Unregistered user may not see a thing. And, if you are testing your script while it is turned off, remember that Facebook is an Unregistered User and so the only image they can grab is your logo.
Hi Lynne;

I am not sure I made myself clear.

What we're trying to do has nothing to do with a person being registered, logged-in, or anything like that. This has to do with a Facebook "share" button on our custom page NOT being able to share a desired image onto FB. A person should NOT have to be registered onto my site, at all, for the share button to work nor for the image to be displayed. The share button works, and the image should display because of the coding, but yet it is not.

I do understand what you're saying about the forum being turned off, but we did test the procedure with it turned on, and still got the logo, not the desired image. The meta content is structured so that the spider image should display, but yet only the logo displays.

I believe vBulletin has some static, overriding code to where only vBulletin's logo displays (or whatever logo is up there), and we are trying to circumvent or identify this code and change it.

It should have absolutely nothing to do with whether a person is logged in to our site or not. In fact, the whole idea is to advertise to NON customers of our site, to Facebook, so they can click on the FB image and be taken back to our site. These people will not be customers, so their being logged in should have no bearing on seeing the image or not.

We believe we have the coding correctly ... we have the reference to the correct thumbnail ... yet it's showing only the logo.

What overriding code to we need to get rid of to get what we want displayed, displayed?

Thanks and I hope this was clear

Jack

PS: Click this link, click the FB button, and see what I mean: http://www.macrophotopro.com/fb.html

Last edited by MacroPhotoPro; 02 Mar 2014 at 00:08.
Old 03 Mar 2014, 17:29

Hello ...
Old 03 Mar 2014, 19:28

I really don't know enough about Facebook and their code to help out on this.

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
I will NOT help via PM (you will be directed to post in the forums for help.)
Old 06 Mar 2014, 12:34

Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
I really don't know enough about Facebook and their code to help out on this.
Really? You're one of the top people at vBulletin and you "can't help" with Facebook?

Wow.

You can't explain why the Blog and the Forum, when their links are Shared or physically-added to a Facebook wall, that those links display a list of images to select from ... while this custom page does NOT?

Really? You can't explain that or give help to overcome this?

Impressive. Thanks.
Old 06 Mar 2014, 12:54

Your negative reply to Lynne is not a pleasant invitation for others to help you. You might want to rethink abusing the volunteers in this community. This is an enthusiast community for vBulletin, and is not official vBulletin support. If you would like help please be nice, we try to be.

Last edited by tbworld; 16 Aug 2014 at 07:54.
Old 06 Mar 2014, 13:01

Originally Posted by tbworld View Post
Your negative reply to Lynne is not an inviting message to receive assistance from others. Who needs this kind of abuse when we are already volunteering our time. If you would like help please be nice.
Correct, and just because some one is considered a "top person" does not mean they know all there is to know about vBulletin, or a third party integration such as Facebook, I my self have over 60 mods released, and I could not tell you one thing about it, I don't even have a Facebook page.
You can get access to my 180 mods for vB 3.6 - 4.x at The Admin Zone as well as the professional support you are used to. New vBulletin Spider Definitions, vBulletin Spiders List Hits 1000 Spiders! ​ OzzModz down. Site has had a data breach, checking how the intrusion happened. Change your PW if you use the same one on my site and others.
Old 06 Mar 2014, 13:08

When I have a chance I will take a look at your code, but I am currently working on a backlog of tasks for other vbulletin.org members.
Old 06 Mar 2014, 13:12

Originally Posted by ozzy47 View Post
Correct, and just because some one is considered a "top person" does not mean they know all there is to know about vBulletin, or a third party integration such as Facebook, I my self have over 60 mods released, and I could not tell you one thing about it, I don't even have a Facebook page.
Fair enough then.
Old 06 Mar 2014, 13:18

Originally Posted by MacroPhotoPro View Post
Fair enough then.
Believe me, I know how frustrating things are when they don't work as intended, or as you would like them to. I have spent many hours yelling at my screen when things don't go my way.

The people here will do their best to help anyone out, and yes it can get quite aggravating when things just won't cooperate, but patience is a virtue.

Hopefully someone here has ran into the issue before, and can help out.
You can get access to my 180 mods for vB 3.6 - 4.x at The Admin Zone as well as the professional support you are used to. New vBulletin Spider Definitions, vBulletin Spiders List Hits 1000 Spiders! ​ OzzModz down. Site has had a data breach, checking how the intrusion happened. Change your PW if you use the same one on my site and others.
Old 06 Mar 2014, 13:18

When I have a chance I will take a look at your code, but I am currently working on a backlog of tasks for other vbulletin.org members.
I would appreciate this greatly.

I have been working on the customization of this site for 2 years, and we're ready to launch. The entire sum & substance of our functionality and advertisement hinges on these custom image pages being able to be "Shared" onto Facebook walls ... so the author of this tutorial "not knowing how" to connect and override to FB is no small omission.

Thanks again.

--------------- Added 06 Mar 2014 at 13:30 ---------------

Here is an example of one of our Image pages:

I have coded the button to share the post to the person's wall, successfully, but instead of presenting a thumbnail of the desired photo, all that is being posted is a thumbnail of my forum logo, as such:

Failed vBulletin Custom Share showing Forum Logo

I don't want my forum logo displayed; I want a thumbnail of the desired image displayed. I cannot figure out how to override this glitch and include the desired picture in the Facebook popup for posting, rather than my logo.

I know it is possible to get the desired image, and I thought I had coded it as such. For example, in the vBulletin Blog, when I use the Facebook Share Button there, I see the image I am trying to share *plus* the option for other images on the page:

Successful Blog Post Share showing Desired Image

When using the Blog, if I post the same 2 images and try to share them there, when the "Share pop-up" displays, you will notice that not only is the individual image that I want available to share, but that I have a total list of the 2 photos I can sort through and select from to share as well ... but I get no such thing from this vBulletin custom page!

Again, here is my code:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

It is as if all the "meta" tags on this custom page are being completely ignored by something inside vBulletin. Yet somehow they are able to get through on the forum and blog postings. I tried to follow the FB Developer instructions, and it simply doesn't work. I believe this is beyond a FB problem, it's a problem intrinsic to some omission in this vBulletin custom page, and it's driving me nuts.

What do I have to do to get the desired pic to override the default posting of the vBulletin logo? I am willing to pay for this $ervice, so PM me your price!

Thank you,

Jack

--------------- Added 06 Mar 2014 at 13:34 ---------------

Originally Posted by ozzy47 View Post
Believe me, I know how frustrating things are when they don't work as intended, or as you would like them to. I have spent many hours yelling at my screen when things don't go my way.

The people here will do their best to help anyone out, and yes it can get quite aggravating when things just won't cooperate, but patience is a virtue.

Hopefully someone here has ran into the issue before, and can help out.
Thank you.

Last edited by MacroPhotoPro; 06 Mar 2014 at 13:33.
Old 06 Mar 2014, 13:40

I added you to my cue. Actually, I added you several days ago, but since I had a backlog already I did not answer. Obviously, I have to mock this up and it will be a three-four days minimum before I can get into it. Some members here have been waiting for my time for four weeks since my work sent me to Sochi for the Olympics. If you can be patient I can help.
Old 06 Mar 2014, 14:09

Thumbs up

I added you to my cue. Actually, I added you several days ago, but since I had a backlog already I did not answer. Obviously, I have to mock this up and it will be a three-four days minimum before I can get into it. Some members here have been waiting for my time for four weeks since my work sent me to Sochi for the Olympics. If you can be patient I can help.
Okay, thank you. Let me know.

Cheers,