Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Mod Options
Ultimate Spambot Killer Details »
Ultimate Spambot Killer
Mod Version: 1.0.5, by y2ksw (Coder) y2ksw is offline
Developer Last Online: Sep 2019 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

This modification is in the archives.
vB Version: 3.7.x Rating: (0 vote - 0 average) Installs: 9
Released: 17 Oct 2008 Last Update: 24 Oct 2008 Downloads: 61
Supported Uses Plugins Translations External Content Is in Beta Stage  

This product is a natural evolution of many single solutions. It is an attempt to integrate in vBulletin the features other applications have, without requiring a lot of code, and without obviously giving the code to the spammers.

With this software, your board connects to one of the most powerful email checking engines available. The engine itself is maintained remotely and can currently be accessed at the production server. After debugging and wide-scale test, it will be moved to vbulletin.it.

Please read first the included help before installing!


BETA RELEASE

1.0.4: FIX misplaced bracket
1.0.5 More reliable connections and a few new options, updated help. This version should be the last one before release.

Online Help

Please continue discussing here (stable release).

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Addons

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

  • To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Administrative and Maintenance Tools Ultimate Spambot Killer (Stable) y2ksw vBulletin 3.7 Add-ons 18 06 Jun 2010 08:40
[release] Spambot Protection filburt1 vBulletin 2.x Template Modifications 34 10 Mar 2003 11:42

Comments
  #2  
Old 18 Oct 2008, 00:00
popowich's Avatar
popowich popowich is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Real name: Raymond Popowich
What exactly is it connecting to? Something along the lines of SpamAssassin?

Why would someone make themselves dependent on an external resource?

What happens to a new post of your service is not available?

I'm not bashing you, just trying to ask some educated questions.

If you'd rather PM details to me that is fine. Thanks!

-Raymond
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 18 Oct 2008, 02:36
Hornstar's Avatar
Hornstar Hornstar is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Real name: Matt
Can you elaborate a bit more. You say it is the ultimate spambot killer, but in what way? in bots spamming or in bots registering?

what does it do with the spam, etc. how do I know it is not removing legit posts, etc. we need more detail.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 18 Oct 2008, 02:39
River_rush River_rush is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Real name: Chas
Originally Posted by popowich View Post
What exactly is it connecting to? Something along the lines of SpamAssassin?

Why would someone make themselves dependent on an external resource?

What happens to a new post of your service is not available?

I'm not bashing you, just trying to ask some educated questions.

If you'd rather PM details to me that is fine. Thanks!

-Raymond
according to the xml file I think its http://www.pagerobot.com/
__________________
EscortRSCosworth.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 18 Oct 2008, 07:59
y2ksw's Avatar
y2ksw y2ksw is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Real name: Giovanni
Originally Posted by popowich View Post
What exactly is it connecting to? Something along the lines of SpamAssassin?

Why would someone make themselves dependent on an external resource?

What happens to a new post of your service is not available?

I'm not bashing you, just trying to ask some educated questions.

If you'd rather PM details to me that is fine. Thanks!

-Raymond
It's connecting to Spamhaus, and if not available or overloaded, to alternate services. It has also a local database where known spammers are cached for some time.

If somebody was so badly spammed as some of my servers (hundreds of spammers and tens of thousands of posts), and any service would help me to get rid of them, I would choose it. I have made my research and found that nothing exists which compares to SpamAssasin, and so I coded the connection to those databases. Also I added some of the features I had already, such as the local spammer database and formal email checking. All together they do a really good job.

New posts are not affected, only new users.

Please feel free to ask, I will reply to all questions, all but the exact coding
__________________
Giovanni
Italian support: http://www.vbulletin.it/
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18 Oct 2008, 08:17
y2ksw's Avatar
y2ksw y2ksw is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Real name: Giovanni
Originally Posted by hornstar1337 View Post
Can you elaborate a bit more. You say it is the ultimate spambot killer, but in what way? in bots spamming or in bots registering?

what does it do with the spam, etc. how do I know it is not removing legit posts, etc. we need more detail.
It does not allow to register spam bots and notoriously known spammers from certain IP's.

If a user registers, it's email (and optionally IP) is compared to the local database (mine) first and if a match was found, rejected.

Flow:
  • An incoming email address is formally checked and rejected if invalid.
  • If no IP match was found, it connects to the world-wide spammer databases in a certain order, and if there is a match, the IP is stored locally and the user email rejected.
  • If the email address apears not to exist (MX lookup & initiation of email transmit, quit before sending), the user email is stored to the local database and will be rejected.
  • If none of the above applies, the user may register. At this point it is sure the email account is not coming from a known spammer and the address is really valid.
You may test this service by issuing:

http://uspam.pagerobot.com/index.php...p=64.201.124.1

for a known spammer, and anything else for valid or invalid email addresses. If no IP is specified, the IP test against the world-wide databases is not performed.

If the emal is invalid, a blank page or 0 is returned. If the service is manually down, a negative value is shown. If the email is valid, a 1 is shown.
__________________
Giovanni
Italian support: http://www.vbulletin.it/
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18 Oct 2008, 09:07
y2ksw's Avatar
y2ksw y2ksw is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Real name: Giovanni
Red face

The final mail check is currently down - I have to fix a timeout issue on many requests. Thus, emails return 1 if the spamhaus test passed.
__________________
Giovanni
Italian support: http://www.vbulletin.it/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18 Oct 2008, 10:51
Delphiprogrammi Delphiprogrammi is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Real name: Erik
www.pagerobot.com i take it he has a brandfree licence if not .......
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 18 Oct 2008, 12:28
y2ksw's Avatar
y2ksw y2ksw is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Real name: Giovanni
Originally Posted by Delphiprogrammi View Post
www.pagerobot.com i take it he has a brandfree licence if not .......
In fact I have a branding free license
__________________
Giovanni
Italian support: http://www.vbulletin.it/
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 18 Oct 2008, 12:30
y2ksw's Avatar
y2ksw y2ksw is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Real name: Giovanni
Smile

Originally Posted by y2ksw View Post
The final mail check is currently down - I have to fix a timeout issue on many requests. Thus, emails return 1 if the spamhaus test passed.
The service is up again. Also Gray-Listed mailboxes are accepted now. If they don't exist, the registration will bounce anyway.
__________________
Giovanni
Italian support: http://www.vbulletin.it/
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 18 Oct 2008, 20:01
cedivad cedivad is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Real name: Davide
Really good job. Thank you man!
__________________
Davide
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 19 Oct 2008, 04:45
g00gl3r g00gl3r is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Reserved.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 19 Oct 2008, 19:33
pedigree pedigree is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
this is what www.stopforumspam.com has been doing for several months, accumulating a database of 80,000 known forum spammers and provides code (and a vbulletin mod) for access/submitting to it, allowing spambots to be denied registration.
__________________
My mods vbRosterMaster | Ajax New PM Notifier | vbStopForumSpam

Last edited by pedigree; 19 Oct 2008 at 19:47.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 19 Oct 2008, 20:52
y2ksw's Avatar
y2ksw y2ksw is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Real name: Giovanni
Originally Posted by pedigree View Post
this is what www.stopforumspam.com has been doing for several months, accumulating a database of 80,000 known forum spammers and provides code (and a vbulletin mod) for access/submitting to it, allowing spambots to be denied registration.
Nice I haven't heared about it though, else I probably wouldn't have started this adventure.

Edit:

I've looked into your project and it seems to be pretty much the same we have, besides the website. We probably never will have more than a single webpage and concentrate on backend coding only. I'll soon look into it a little better. Sorry if this sounds like stockfish, but I'm falling into pieces Goodnight!
__________________
Giovanni
Italian support: http://www.vbulletin.it/

Last edited by y2ksw; 19 Oct 2008 at 21:15.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 19 Oct 2008, 21:00
Alfa1's Avatar
Alfa1 Alfa1 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Originally Posted by pedigree View Post
this is what www.stopforumspam.com has been doing for several months, accumulating a database of 80,000 known forum spammers and provides code (and a vbulletin mod) for access/submitting to it, allowing spambots to be denied registration.
Yes, but this also seems to check the validity of email addresses, which is a big plus. Maybe this can be combined with vbstopforumspam?
Originally Posted by y2ksw View Post
  • An incoming email address is formally checked and rejected if invalid.
  • If no IP match was found, it connects to the world-wide spammer databases in a certain order, and if there is a match, the IP is stored locally and the user email rejected.
  • If the email address apears not to exist (MX lookup & initiation of email transmit, quit before sending), the user email is stored to the local database and will be rejected.
  • If none of the above applies, the user may register. At this point it is sure the email account is not coming from a known spammer and the address is really valid.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Mod Options

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 19:37.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: