Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Article Options
Old 14 Oct 2013, 22:51

You can't use echo or it will end up on the top of the page. You need to take your data and output it to a variable:

$myvar = '';
start of loop
$myvar .= "html here";
end of loop
make sure to register $myvar for use in your template

and in the template, put
{vb:raw myvar}

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
I will NOT help via PM (you will be directed to post in the forums for help.)
Old 14 Oct 2013, 23:42

Thanks, will give that a try.

(I suppose you saw my error in stating that the multiple "do" functions were put in the template, I meant they were put in the php file, each one with a different template used.)

--------------- Added 15 Oct 2013 at 02:11 ---------------

Ok, there is a reason I dont release mods here. Cous I seem to struggle with the obvious lol.

I have registered the variable,...
$templater->register('history', $history);

I thought I would just start simple and just have 1 row in my database. From there I will expand on it once I can get a simple read done.

This is my php query. (kinda found it while searching the forums and modified it to my purpose)

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

But using {vb:raw history} in my template produces a blank whereas there is actual data in the database fields.

Last edited by smirkley; 15 Oct 2013 at 02:16.
Old 15 Oct 2013, 22:17

I would use fetch_array in case you to later have multiple rows and you should specify the field you want. Assuming you want history.field, then:

and then in the template:

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
Old 15 Oct 2013, 23:49

Originally Posted by Zoul View Post
Hello FBRN_Andrew

if I'm not mistaken, and I understand the question in the template created, you just add this before the tag

thanks for the reply
Greetings I added the lines you included, the page looks much better, but still seems to be in a "not logged in" mode.

I'm not much of a PHP coder so I don't really know what code I should paste in to explain.

--------------- Added 15 Oct 2013 at 23:54 ---------------

Also since the 4.2.2 patch I removed the tabs hack and changed to navigation manager, using "member" as the group to see most tabs. so when I go to the new page the menu(tabs) also switch to logged out mode. however clicking the home link, or back puts you back to logged in status.
Old 16 Oct 2013, 03:50

Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
I would use fetch_array in case you to later have multiple rows and you should specify the field you want. Assuming you want history.field, then:

and then in the template:

Lynne, I do appreciate your valued input.
I tried to make it work but I produced db errors in the process.

Info: I have one row now, but I anticipate in the future many rows, each one containing 7 columns. And in this routine I wish to list on my page all the rows.

So this is what I did with your suggestion....

with the variable registered as stated.

But this doesnt work nicely with sql.

My apologies for being not so sql inclined, and I dont wish to burdon you with 'teaching' me how to make this work, but I am not so skilled at database manipulation.
(I am hoping to learn how to make this work so I wont be such a bother in the future)

--------------- Added 17 Oct 2013 at 02:36 ---------------

I have decided I am going to do a crash course on sql. I need to be able to do more than hope someone here can hold my hand making something that would otherwise add several pages in this thread. The above responces have indeed helped me, but what I am trying to create is going to be propietary to my website, and I am stumped on just the first section of it out of several. It is my responsibility to educate myself so my questions remain more attached to the subject.

Lynne, you have been a great help especially with this tutorial.
This is in fact an amazing addition to anyone that wishes to do custom pages using templates, php, etc, on a forum setup.

Thanks again.
Old 19 Oct 2013, 16:25

Did you try just adding them into the template after the headininclude template is called?

and then change the condition in the headinclude template to not show those for your page:

Hi Lynn,

A little stuck on this?

--------------- Added 19 Oct 2013 at 16:45 ---------------

And if just by a little fairy dust of posting that if came too me what I did wrong. lol
Old 20 Oct 2013, 14:30

Hello;

I am creating an image-hosting website for which I require custom pages. This page serves the purpose, but I notice that it does not automatically re-size like the other vBulletin pages (see attached).

For example, my main desktop monitor has 1920 screen resolution, whereas the ancient laptop I am on right now only has 1024 screen resolution.

When I view the vBulletin forum on the smaller screen, everything is automatically re-sized so that it fits my 1024 resolution screen. (it even gets re-sized to fit my smartphone screen.

However, my custom page does NOT automatically re-size, and so the excess images/text kind of "spills over" to the right (again see attachments for a comparison).

So my question is, how do I construct my custom pages so that they too automatically re-size to fit smaller screens?

Thanks for any help,

Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg custom.JPG (84.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg forum.JPG (158.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 20 Oct 2013, 16:19

My guess: Do you use a mobile style? If that is the case, you need to have a fitting template for your cutom page in your mobile style.

http://www.roma-antiqua.de
Old 20 Oct 2013, 17:13

Originally Posted by cellarius View Post
My guess: Do you use a mobile style? If that is the case, you need to have a fitting template for your cutom page in your mobile style.
Thank you for answering, but it has nothing to do with the mobile style. It has to do with some kind of auto-resolving I think.

For example, there is no mobile style being used when I click the forum tab, yet the forum.php page automatically resolves to fit the resolution of my smaller screen ... yet this same thing does not happen when I click my ImageHosting tab and get my imagehosting.php page.

In no case have I employed my mobile style. I have used my own customized style, yet some kind of coding is in my forum.php page that is not in my custom php page, and that "something" is what I am inquiring about

Thanks again,

Jack
Old 20 Oct 2013, 17:47

Originally Posted by MacroPhotoPro View Post
Hello;

I am creating an image-hosting website for which I require custom pages. This page serves the purpose, but I notice that it does not automatically re-size like the other vBulletin pages (see attached).

For example, my main desktop monitor has 1920 screen resolution, whereas the ancient laptop I am on right now only has 1024 screen resolution.

When I view the vBulletin forum on the smaller screen, everything is automatically re-sized so that it fits my 1024 resolution screen. (it even gets re-sized to fit my smartphone screen.

However, my custom page does NOT automatically re-size, and so the excess images/text kind of "spills over" to the right (again see attachments for a comparison).

So my question is, how do I construct my custom pages so that they too automatically re-size to fit smaller screens?

Thanks for any help,

Jack
What is the width parameters set for the large image displayed in the photo pages? Do you have a max-width set, because that seems to be what's pushing the images off screen.
Old 20 Oct 2013, 17:56

Originally Posted by Digital Jedi View Post
What is the width parameters set for the large image displayed in the photo pages? Do you have a max-width set, because that seems to be what's pushing the images off screen.

I don't know. Possibly, yes. We have different-sized thumbnails: tiny, small, medium, large, jumbo (150 px, 400 px, 800 px, 1200 px, and 2500 px).

I just use the template, and so maybe there can be some kind of "flexible" coding employed that adjusts???

Thank you.
Old 20 Oct 2013, 18:28

Originally Posted by MacroPhotoPro View Post
I don't know. Possibly, yes. We have different-sized thumbnails: tiny, small, medium, large, jumbo (150 px, 400 px, 800 px, 1200 px, and 2500 px).

I just use the template, and so maybe there can be some kind of "flexible" coding employed that adjusts???

Thank you.
If you want images to automatically resize when you change the browser size, then you need to write some CSS to have it do this. The only way we can help with that is if you post a link to the custom page with the images on it.

W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
Old 23 Oct 2013, 23:45

You can't use echo or it will end up on the top of the page. You need to take your data and output it to a variable:

$myvar = '';
start of loop
$myvar .= "html here";
end of loop
make sure to register $myvar for use in your template

and in the template, put
{vb:raw myvar}
Where do I put this code?

To perform within the models.
Old 24 Oct 2013, 02:32

Originally Posted by Rudiere View Post
Where do I put this code?

To perform within the models.
The top is php code, so it goes into your php file. The bottom is template code so it goes into your template. But that was in answer to a question and isn't going to help you much unless you understood the original question and what was going on.

W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
Old 09 Nov 2013, 17:30

One of the things I noticed on this "custom page" is that photographs which are put on the page do NOT display on Facebook ... whereas they DO display on default vBulletin pages.

For example, if I have a photo on a Forum post, or a Blog Post, or an Article post ... and if I place the URL to that post/article on Facebook ... I get a choice of photo thumbnails to choose from, to associate on Facebook, which includes the photos that I want displayed.

But that does not work for this custom page here. When I post the URL of any page I create with this template on FB, my choice of thumbnails only shows the vBulletin Logo or my Avatar ... any photos I post are not available. What do I have to do to change this?

When I have a photo on this custom page, and if I post the URL to it, I want my photos to be among the thumbnail choices I have.

How can I accomplish this?

Thanks,