Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 20 Feb 2011, 18:42
OldSchoolDSL OldSchoolDSL is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Real name: Adam H.
Red face Cloud Flare - Block spam, proxies, cyber attacks, and most unwanted cyber bots

I am not 100% sure where I should post something, when I want to share something with this community. Or if even sharing such information is allowed. If this is in the wrong forum or sharing resource information isn't idea here... Please let me know for future reference's.

I recently have discovered a free services (they have a paid version too), which has stop almost all forum spam, blocked almost all proxies, blocked unwanted cyber bots, and even help block someone from cyber attacking my community.

So I thought I'd share the link.

http://www.cloudflare.com

They basically route all your traffic through their DNS Servers. And it doesn't block valid users out right... If a valid user does something that could be thought of as "high risk", they are brought to a challenge page (most to confirm they are human). They require you to make 1 small template edit.

http://www.cloudflare.com/wiki/VBulletin_3.8.4

They say this edit applies to vBulletin 3.8.4, but I found it useful on my copy on 4.1.1 also.

Not sure if I'm doing a good job on explaining what they do. But they have a few videos for others to see and learn what they offer.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20 Feb 2011, 21:13
Paul M's Avatar
Paul M Paul M is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Real name: Paul M
Basically they act like a giant proxy server, your dns [for your site] points to thier servers, so a connecting client connects to them, and they then connect to your site. Thats why you need to make the edits to class core, without them all traffic to your site would appear to originate from their servers, so they pass on the original ip as an http variable.
__________________
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member


Cable Forum
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20 Feb 2011, 21:36
OldSchoolDSL OldSchoolDSL is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Real name: Adam H.
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Basically they act like a giant proxy server, your dns [for your site] points to thier servers, so a connecting client connects to them, and they then connect to your site. Thats why you need to make the edits to class core, without them all traffic to your site would appear to originate from their servers, so they pass on the original ip as an http variable.
Thank you for explaining this a little better then maybe I did.

Their modification did seem to make my site a little fast though.

I also find your modification (Proxy to Real IP Conversion) helps in so many ways.

^
Cloud Flare IP > Proxy IP > Real IP
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 25 Jul 2011, 03:34
8thos's Avatar
8thos 8thos is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Real name: DRE
URLJET has this on cpanel by default. I didn't know about it until now. They started last month. I will activate it today.
__________________
www.8thos.com
www.qapla.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 25 Jul 2011, 13:34
BirdOPrey5's Avatar
BirdOPrey5 BirdOPrey5 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Real name: Joe D.
If I blocked proxies I'd lose half my traffic...
__________________
-Joe
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member

(@BirdOPrey5) Former vb.org Moderator. Fighting for a free & independent vb.org.
BirdOPrey5.com - Exclusive VB Mods! (Formerly Qapla.com) | Joe's Ultimate Off Topic
Note - I do not read my PMs often, do not expect quick replies.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 25 Jul 2011, 13:39
Sage Knight's Avatar
Sage Knight Sage Knight is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Not a good option if most of your members are from Asia.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 25 Jul 2011, 19:41
8thos's Avatar
8thos 8thos is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Real name: DRE
It's not blocking my members at all and most of my site's Asians are South-East Asians from North America or the UK so I'm good to go.
__________________
www.8thos.com
www.qapla.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 26 Jul 2011, 12:25
Sage Knight's Avatar
Sage Knight Sage Knight is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Originally Posted by Octavius. View Post
It's not blocking my members at all and most of my site's Asians are South-East Asians from North America or the UK so I'm good to go.
It doesn't block but that message can get annoying. I know I get annoyed.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26 Jul 2011, 12:38
8thos's Avatar
8thos 8thos is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Real name: DRE
I can't even get this working right...
__________________
www.8thos.com
www.qapla.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 26 Jul 2011, 16:29
KevinL KevinL is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
There really should be no real setup once you click that button in cpanel.

What are some issues you are having?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 26 Jul 2011, 16:34
TheLastSuperman's Avatar
TheLastSuperman TheLastSuperman is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Real name: Michael Miller Jr
Cool

Originally Posted by Octavius. View Post
I can't even get this working right...
KevinL is right, see below. furthermore if your hosted w/ URLJet your not required to edit the files. mod_cloudflare handles that for you since they use litespeed and have it passing the originating ip . Not to mention some things like IP's from your who's online and other will simply disappear if you make those edits .

So as Kevin said, enable it via cPanel and let it fly!

Originally Posted by KevinL View Post
There really should be no real setup once you click that button in cpanel.

What are some issues you are having?
__________________
Daddy Does Dios and Figs!
https://www.linkedin.com/in/thelastsuperman

Search - Use the search feature to find similar issues/answers.
Information - Include screenshots, copy/pasted error codes, url etc.
Fixed - Please return to your thread/post and let us know how it was fixed!
Thanks - For participating! Click the "Like" on a post if someone helped you!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 26 Jul 2011, 18:52
8thos's Avatar
8thos 8thos is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Real name: DRE
Originally Posted by KevinL View Post
There really should be no real setup once you click that button in cpanel.

What are some issues you are having?
Originally Posted by TheLastSuperman View Post
KevinL is right, see below. furthermore if your hosted w/ URLJet your not required to edit the files. mod_cloudflare handles that for you since they use litespeed and have it passing the originating ip . Not to mention some things like IP's from your who's online and other will simply disappear if you make those edits .

So as Kevin said, enable it via cPanel and let it fly!
My host says it reroutes traffic through www.the8thlegion.com but my most of my urls are http://the8thlegion.com

Tried to fix it last night and it screwed up my site so I'm asking my host to look into it.
__________________
www.8thos.com
www.qapla.com
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 26 Jul 2011, 23:34
MrHorror MrHorror is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
I've said it once and I'll say it again, the vbulletin question and answer option kills 99.5% of spammers. This is because most spammers are bots. Not real people. So every now and then, you might get the occasional spammer. But atleast they'll be human.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 27 Jul 2011, 00:20
KevinL KevinL is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Originally Posted by Octavius. View Post
My host says it reroutes traffic through www.the8thlegion.com but my most of my urls are http://the8thlegion.com

Tried to fix it last night and it screwed up my site so I'm asking my host to look into it.
Yep. You would have to add a 301 redirect from non-www --> www

You can put this in your htaccess:


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

That should route it correctly for you.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 27 Jul 2011, 06:19
8thos's Avatar
8thos 8thos is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Real name: DRE
Originally Posted by MrHorror View Post
I've said it once and I'll say it again, the vbulletin question and answer option kills 99.5% of spammers. This is because most spammers are bots. Not real people. So every now and then, you might get the occasional spammer. But atleast they'll be human.
I've been saying that too. I have Q&A set up on my site. No spam problems really. I get human spammers but they are rare.

Cloud Flare isn't awesome to me because of spam-prevention though. It's awesome because it's a Content Delivery Network. My host says it has more reach than maxCDN which is what vbSEO uses. I need CloudFlare because for one, I don't live near my server and two, my site won't even load on my moderator's cell phone because she lives overseas. Having a CDN means having a faster site and a better search ranking. My site's ranking went down when my site slowed down. I need this and some other optimization besides mods like dboptimize lite to increase the speed of my site.


--------------- Added 27 Jul 2011 at 06:29 ---------------

Originally Posted by KevinL View Post
Yep. You would have to add a 301 redirect from non-www --> www

You can put this in your htaccess:


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

That should route it correctly for you.
They fixed it awhile ago thank you! I see your host has softalicious. I just now discovered that on my server the other day. I'm mad no one told me. Do you ever get requests from your customers about integration with the free scripts within softalicious? Integration as in, dual-login. Single-sign on kinda deal.
__________________
www.8thos.com
www.qapla.com
Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 00:15.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: