Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 13 Apr 2010, 09:38
ForrestBlack ForrestBlack is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Real name: Forrest Black
Mass delete bot registrations method or options?

I have 15,000+ fake registrations from spam bots that match a certain search criteria. I have put various plugins in place to stop new registrations fairly well, for now, but I really would like to clear out the mess. There really are not very many search criteria options in move/prune members, but if I just search on the right fields I can see all 15,000 I'd like to get rid of. Does anyone have any suggestions for how this can be done? Obviously, hitting 'search for users' and clicking delete and then hitting 'search for users' again when the page reloads 15,000+ times isn't ideal.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 13 Apr 2010, 10:02
borbole's Avatar
borbole borbole is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Originally Posted by ForrestBlack View Post
I have 15,000+ fake registrations from spam bots that match a certain search criteria. I have put various plugins in place to stop new registrations fairly well, for now, but I really would like to clear out the mess. There really are not very many search criteria options in move/prune members, but if I just search on the right fields I can see all 15,000 I'd like to get rid of. Does anyone have any suggestions for how this can be done? Obviously, hitting 'search for users' and clicking delete and then hitting 'search for users' again when the page reloads 15,000+ times isn't ideal.
Do they have the same email provider address like [email protected] for ex? If they do you can mass delete them with a query at the phpmyadmin.


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

__________________
My mods.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12 Sep 2010, 04:46
Toplink Toplink is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
I have the same problem, but they are from many different emails.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12 Sep 2010, 15:10
kersti kersti is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
The obvious thing would be for the search users list to allow an admin to have a select box and then to be able to choose to bulk delete
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12 Sep 2010, 22:09
Toplink Toplink is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Originally Posted by kersti View Post
The obvious thing would be for the search users list to allow an admin to have a select box and then to be able to choose to bulk delete
I got rid of a lot today. Just used the prune feature. Looked for users that had not been active for 2 years and had 0 posts.

But I still have a lot of users awaiting email cofirmation. I suspect most of those are bots.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 30 Jan 2011, 23:35
Yosemite Yosemite is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Originally Posted by borbole View Post
Do they have the same email provider address like [email protected] for ex? If they do you can mass delete them with a query at the phpmyadmin.


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.
I have the same exact issue, are you sure deleting just from the member table wont mess up the DB? It is my understanding table user data is disseminated among different tables.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 31 Jan 2011, 00:01
ghostofkc ghostofkc is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
deleting from the member table will be fine, as long as you know what you are doing. Back up your db BEFORE you do this! it has been awhile since I have done this kind of editing, there is more to it than deleting from one table..... - it would be nice if this feature was built into vb though....

Last edited by ghostofkc; 31 Jan 2011 at 00:06.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 31 Jan 2011, 01:33
your24hourstore your24hourstore is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
well a better option would be delete user's and all posts
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 31 Jan 2011, 11:09
ghostofkc ghostofkc is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Originally Posted by your24hourstore View Post
well a better option would be delete user's and all posts
How is deleting our whole forum a better option? worst case, I would roll back to a older db backup. I would rather have a method of doing this in the forum though which was my original question, if it has to come to sql editing I guess that is what I will do. VB guys - why not add more options to the user prune? a "Join date before" option would solve all these problems.

Edit - I got most of them by deleting less than 5 post accounts from the last month BUT there is still a ton that have 20-30 posts so I gotta hunt for those...

Last edited by ghostofkc; 31 Jan 2011 at 11:19.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 31 Jan 2011, 16:22
your24hourstore your24hourstore is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Originally Posted by ghostofkc View Post
How is deleting our whole forum a better option? worst case, I would roll back to a older db backup. I would rather have a method of doing this in the forum though which was my original question, if it has to come to sql editing I guess that is what I will do. VB guys - why not add more options to the user prune? a "Join date before" option would solve all these problems.

Edit - I got most of them by deleting less than 5 post accounts from the last month BUT there is still a ton that have 20-30 posts so I gotta hunt for those...
well if spammers posted the content would you think that content is not spam i don't get what your trying to do just stop unwanted sign ups? or get rid of the link spam and signature spam that they create when they get signed up?
Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:56.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: