Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11 Feb 2014, 13:40
RSNF's Avatar
RSNF RSNF is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Custom Style question

About a year ago I had a custom theme designed for my site. The designer who custom designed it like completely vanished off the internet since lol. My question is I have updated my site with vb 4 version updates and have since encountered issues with mods not working properly anymore such as having alignment issues, links for the mods not appearing in the navbar such as vbookie mod and weekly/monthly top posters link not appearing in the quick links drop down. What if anything can I do to get this resolved? Is it going to cost me another fortune to have my theme updated.......assuming it is my theme possibly being outdated that is causing these issues?


Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11 Feb 2014, 16:02
squidsk's Avatar
squidsk squidsk is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
I'm trying to understand, you had a site on vb3.x with a custom theme and some products installed. You've upgraded to vb4.x and now many products you've installed are not working and the the theme is broken?

If that is the case this isn't a big surprise as there are substantial changes between vb3.x and vb4.x. For the products you'll need to install vb4 versions of the products if they exist or find alternatives and the theme will need to be redone since styles have totally changed from vb3 to vb4.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11 Feb 2014, 16:05
RSNF's Avatar
RSNF RSNF is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Originally Posted by squidsk View Post
I'm trying to understand, you had a site on vb3.x with a custom theme and some products installed. You've upgraded to vb4.x and now many products you've installed are not working and the the theme is broken?

If that is the case this isn't a big surprise as there are substantial changes between vb3.x and vb4.x. For the products you'll need to install vb4 versions of the products if they exist or find alternatives and the theme will need to be redone since styles have totally changed from vb3 to vb4.

Actually no sorry I had a custom style designed for my vbulletin 4 site about a year ago the older version of vb 4. I just opened another site with vb 4 the latest version. The mods that are working on my original site are not all working properly on my new site.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11 Feb 2014, 17:28
Seven Skins's Avatar
Seven Skins Seven Skins is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
There has been few changes to the templates, you need to compare the templates and edit them. Once you edit them links should start showing where they were or else you may need to add them manually.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11 Feb 2014, 17:33
RSNF's Avatar
RSNF RSNF is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Originally Posted by Seven Skins View Post
There has been few changes to the templates, you need to compare the templates and edit them. Once you edit them links should start showing where they were or else you may need to add them manually.


Thanks I will look into comparing the 2 appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11 Feb 2014, 18:27
squidsk's Avatar
squidsk squidsk is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
The mods not appearing in the navbar is fairly common for mods not designed for vb4.2+ since 4.2 introduced a new navigation manager. To add the tabs back you'll need to create appropriate entries in the navigation manager.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11 Feb 2014, 18:42
RSNF's Avatar
RSNF RSNF is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Originally Posted by squidsk View Post
The mods not appearing in the navbar is fairly common for mods not designed for vb4.2+ since 4.2 introduced a new navigation manager. To add the tabs back you'll need to create appropriate entries in the navigation manager.


Yeah I have tried adding them through the navigation manager with no luck. appreciate the help though
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11 Feb 2014, 23:23
Seven Skins's Avatar
Seven Skins Seven Skins is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
First thing you need to do is update your navbar template then try adding links etc.. via navigation manager.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12 Feb 2014, 12:18
RSNF's Avatar
RSNF RSNF is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Originally Posted by Seven Skins View Post
First thing you need to do is update your navbar template then try adding links etc.. via navigation manager.


So would I take the code in the default navbar template and copy and paste that into the custom navbar template?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12 Feb 2014, 15:30
squidsk's Avatar
squidsk squidsk is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Originally Posted by Seven Skins View Post
First thing you need to do is update your navbar template then try adding links etc.. via navigation manager.
What template modifications are you talking about? I've added plenty of tabs and submenu items to the nav bar and never had to edit any templates. As long as you know the script (i.e. the php file) you want to point to just adding a new entry that points to it will add the new nav element to wherever you've chosen to add it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12 Feb 2014, 16:02
RSNF's Avatar
RSNF RSNF is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Lost me lol Problem I am having is the default vb 4 skin if you will the mods show up in the navbar as well as quick links They are not taking to my custom theme though which the theme was designed about a year ago I believe for vbulletin 4.1. So what I am wondering is if I copy the navbar code from the default template and remove and replace the with that code in the custom theme would that possibly be the solution?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12 Feb 2014, 16:36
Seven Skins's Avatar
Seven Skins Seven Skins is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Originally Posted by squidsk View Post
What template modifications are you talking about?
He has old navbar template before the navigation manager.


Originally Posted by RSNF View Post
Lost me lol Problem I am having is the default vb 4 skin if you will the mods show up in the navbar as well as quick links They are not taking to my custom theme though which the theme was designed about a year ago I believe for vbulletin 4.1. So what I am wondering is if I copy the navbar code from the default template and remove and replace the with that code in the custom theme would that possibly be the solution?
Copy the default template may or may not work if the template was customized extensively, you can try copying but save your old template first if that dont work ... send your old template/style via PM or email and I will have a look.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12 Feb 2014, 17:08
RSNF's Avatar
RSNF RSNF is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
PM sent

--------------- Added 12 Feb 2014 at 19:14 ---------------

All set copying the vb4 default themes nav code and replacing the custom themes nav code with the default worked like charm. Thanks to all who offered their help
Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 13:14.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: