Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 20 May 2014, 13:32
katie hunter's Avatar
katie hunter katie hunter is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Wink I will be Back - Vbseo

Well, this is a good news :d http://youtu.be/-YEG9DgRHhA



http://i.imgur.com/FuraO9j.png

http://www.vbseo.com/
  #2  
Old 20 May 2014, 14:01
Paul M's Avatar
Paul M Paul M is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Real name: Paul M
In my experience, vbseo are now hated as much as IB, I dont think many will be celebrating.
__________________
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member


Cable Forum
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
  #3  
Old 20 May 2014, 14:21
BirdOPrey5's Avatar
BirdOPrey5 BirdOPrey5 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Real name: Joe D.
I wouldn't believe anything put out by VBSEO unless you know exactly who is saying it and they have the means to make it true. You can't be sure who is speaking on behalf of the company- who has control of the domain, or anything.
__________________
-Joe
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member

(@BirdOPrey5) Former vb.org Moderator. Fighting for a free & independent vb.org.
BirdOPrey5.com - Exclusive VB Mods! (Formerly Qapla.com) | Joe's Ultimate Off Topic
Note - I do not read my PMs often, do not expect quick replies.
  #4  
Old 20 May 2014, 14:21
katie hunter's Avatar
katie hunter katie hunter is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
In my experience, vbseo are now hated as much as IB, I dont think many will be celebrating.
Well, i am still using vbseo and I can't find a better seo solution for VB other than Vbseo, so for me it is a good news.

I know several others who want to see it back and honestly i knew it will be back because my license key in the admin cp is always active and connected to vbseo domain and server, when the server goes down, the key verification use to show some type of an error, so i knew they were working on something but i never know what would it be.

I know VB 5.x has some seo features but they don't have expert seo developer. There are many Google guidelines and tips, and algorithmic changes that always come up with Google and VB 5.x isn't up to date with it. Content + optimized seo makes a site popular.

Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
I wouldn't believe anything put out by VBSEO unless you know exactly who is saying it and they have the means to make it true. You can't be sure who is speaking on behalf of the company- who has control of the domain, or anything.
It is just news for now, so will find out later i guess.

I think IB/VB should be happy with these news but it appears you're not having too much faith in it ? I mean getting an SEO assistance for your product isn't going to affect VB license sales, i think it will help it because new customers are always looking for great forum software + great seo tools.
  #5  
Old 20 May 2014, 14:48
BirdOPrey5's Avatar
BirdOPrey5 BirdOPrey5 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Real name: Joe D.
I never recommend VBSEO and don't miss it. I don't think it is nearly as useful as many users think it is.
__________________
-Joe
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member

(@BirdOPrey5) Former vb.org Moderator. Fighting for a free & independent vb.org.
BirdOPrey5.com - Exclusive VB Mods! (Formerly Qapla.com) | Joe's Ultimate Off Topic
Note - I do not read my PMs often, do not expect quick replies.
  #6  
Old 20 May 2014, 15:05
katie hunter's Avatar
katie hunter katie hunter is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
I never recommend VBSEO and don't miss it. I don't think it is nearly as useful as many users think it is.
It helped my site and I recommended it to others - I know that is a fact. But now days Google is changing a lot, VBseo would need to work harder than before but that doesn't mean it didn't fix many seo issues within VB 4.x. The amount of SEO settings Vbseo has, VB 4.x doesn't have.

Vb 4.x doesn't have all these settings and features which Vbseo has and VB 5.x are trying to learn many of Vbseo features still.

http://i.imgur.com/XFM0w6N.png



Here is a Jira that VB 5.x would still yet to implement like Vbseo and add more onto it

Sitemap Settings

http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-12446

Status: BRB Future Release

Last edited by katie hunter; 20 May 2014 at 15:11.
  #7  
Old 20 May 2014, 15:37
final kaoss final kaoss is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Originally Posted by katie hunter View Post
Well, i am still using vbseo and I can't find a better seo solution for VB other than Vbseo, so for me it is a good news.
Say hello to Dragonbyte Seo, it's free to use and it's feature packed. I would list all of the features here but there would be a huge wall of text if I did.


Originally Posted by bzcomputers View Post
There are no guarantees, but there is hardly any comparison between what was vbSEO and what is DragonByte Tech the makers of DBSEO.

vbSEO
A) 1 mod (2 if you count there vbSEO Sitemap mod which was an add-on)
B) Continually questionable support. They had'nt supported their product(s) on here or in their own forums for nearly 2 1/2 years (and unfortunately people were still buying the product). In the nine years they were members here they only made about 60 posts.

DragonByte Tech
A) Over 80 supported mods for vBulletin which includes mods for vB3, vB4, and vb5. They are very familiar with the code and are continually putting out updates to products weekly.
B) They have their own active support forum which the respond to questions/requests to daily. They are also active here on vbulletin.org nearly daily.
C) They've produced numerous Mods of the Month and are still continually producing new products to support all versions of vBulletin.
D) Are considered by many on here to have exceptional support for their products.
Originally Posted by DragonByte Tech View Post
You can read this manual entry for the explanation of that error: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/gone-away.html

This mod has received 15 updates since it was flagged stable

It shouldn't, though we haven't explicitly tested this mod on Litespeed.

It's impossible for us to make any form of guarantees regarding the lifetime of the modification, unfortunately. To take it straight to 11; I could get killed in any manner of horrible ways tomorrow, leaving the rest of the team scrambling to support it

On a more serious note: We have no plans of discontinuing support for DBSEO. It's our top priority, and due to the nature of the mod it will remain our top priority for the foreseeable future.

I don't think you should consider the money you spent on vBSEO a waste. You got the functionality you paid for, and the security vulnerabilities vBSEO currently suffers from was not something yourself nor the vBSEO team could have foreseen.

If DragonByte Tech ever closes its doors, or anything happens that would even remotely affect our ability to do business (extended holidays, injuries/illnesses/deaths rendering one of our team members incapable of working for extended periods of time), we would send out a newsletter from our site informing our customers of this.

We would never simply disappear without a word, leaving our customers high and dry. You would always be informed to the best of our abilities, leaving you time to seek alternative solutions if you feel that this is the best course of action for your site.


Fillip
  #8  
Old 20 May 2014, 15:45
katie hunter's Avatar
katie hunter katie hunter is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Originally Posted by final kaoss View Post
Say hello to Dragonbyte Seo, it's free to use and it's feature packed. I would list all of the features here but there would be a huge wall of text if I did.
I really stay away from all of Dragonbyte plugins, he creates his plugins in a way that heavily alters VB tables. Something I also don't like very much with any plugin that is coded that way. It locks my database, every time i try to export or import his product xml plugin, it would take 6+ hours for me and the site would be down. Why ? because it applies changes to all my tables and when you have a site with 1.5 million registered member, all these tables needs to be altered. It was a nightmare for me trying to uninstall few of dragonbyte plugins. And you can't interfere when the tables gets locked many times, I would just leave the site and come back later and see if the task is done or not.

I am aware of his SEO plugin but i wouldn't install it for that fact mentioned above + I personally don't think it surpasses Vbseo. I mean Fillip isn't an SEO expert, he creates plugins but that doesn't mean he knows how SEO works.

Edit: May be i will look at Fillip's plugin for my new site, at least it won't have all these tables to alter. I see Fillip did few new updates that are SEO good like microdata. I will test it later for my new launched project and see how it will work. In the mean time will see what Vbseo will be up to.

Last edited by katie hunter; 20 May 2014 at 16:57.
  #9  
Old 20 May 2014, 20:23
Zachery's Avatar
Zachery Zachery is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Real name: Zachery Woods
If the table alters are causing that much of a problem, you should probably bring that up.
__________________
Looking for ImpEx?
  #10  
Old 20 May 2014, 20:40
DragonByte Tech's Avatar
DragonByte Tech DragonByte Tech is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Originally Posted by katie hunter View Post
I really stay away from all of Dragonbyte plugins, he creates his plugins in a way that heavily alters VB tables. Something I also don't like very much with any plugin that is coded that way. It locks my database, every time i try to export or import his product xml plugin, it would take 6+ hours for me and the site would be down. Why ? because it applies changes to all my tables and when you have a site with 1.5 million registered member, all these tables needs to be altered. It was a nightmare for me trying to uninstall few of dragonbyte plugins. And you can't interfere when the tables gets locked many times, I would just leave the site and come back later and see if the task is done or not.
Would you say that it is better to spend 6+ hours on a "finalise" action to import all your members into a different "user" table?
Would you say that it is better to leave your forum running gradually slower and slower due to multiple queries needed to fetch all the information, compared to a one-time slowdown when installing the product?

We don't create table alterations because we enjoy hearing complaints from large forums. We created them because it is the best option when considering the performance of your forum.

Originally Posted by katie hunter View Post
I am aware of his SEO plugin but i wouldn't install it for that fact mentioned above + I personally don't think it surpasses Vbseo. I mean Fillip isn't an SEO expert, he creates plugins but that doesn't mean he knows how SEO works.
I know enough to know that there are multiple features in vBSEO that are either irrelevant in today's SEO market (whitespace stripping, pingback/linkback) or directly harmful and will get your site penalised (archive links in footer).

DragonByte SEO was designed in cooperation with www.SEOvB.com and we will continue to work with them in the future on implementing new, modern SEO practices in future versions. We are currently working to improve the stability of the existing feature set to make sure it works on as many configurations as possible.

I also know that it's bad customer relation to leave multiple exploits unpatched. DBTech itself nearly got exploited because I had forgotten to remove the root vbseo.php file from our server, from back when we ran vBSEO.
Without giving away too many details in the interest of protecting forums still running vBSEO, our error logs showed that malicious users were able to bypass any and all protection running on our AdminCP directory (permissions & .htaccess) and attempted to run code in an admin environment. They were only stopped by the fact that critical files in the /vbseo/ directory had been deleted.

Lastly, I also know that DragonByte SEO does not feature any of the licence checking mechanisms found in vBSEO. This means that even if our servers go down, or we close our doors for whatever reason, any and all copies of DragonByte SEO will continue to work until the end of time.
I honestly don't know the extent of the vBSEO DRM, but I do know that we do not use any form of DRM at all, meaning the stability and continued operation of our service is not a requirement for our products to function.

I sincerely hope your site manages to stay off the radar of the malicious individuals that know how to exploit these bugs in vBSEO, and that should vBSEO come back into operation, they will honour existing licence agreements to fix the existing bugs.


Fillip
__________________
www.Dragonbyte-tech.com
Please support our mods by nominating them to MOTM!
Please do NOT PM us for support. Private Messages are only for exchanging sensitive details (like FTP / AdminCP logins).
  #11  
Old 20 May 2014, 21:04
ForceHSS's Avatar
ForceHSS ForceHSS is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
I will stay with dbseo for me there support and plugins are better by far. Just look how vbseo treated its members after closing this alone tells you what type of people runs it
  #12  
Old 20 May 2014, 21:22
katie hunter's Avatar
katie hunter katie hunter is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Originally Posted by Zachery View Post
If the table alters are causing that much of a problem, you should probably bring that up.
I did report it several times in some of his other plugins, as you see Fillip below didn't deny it. I don't really like when plugins and addon alter VB database.

@Fillip like i said i will give your plugin a try for a new project since it won't have that many registered members at its start. At least i can try it without causing my tables to get locked.

But something to consider with all your plugins, big sites would use it if you don't relay on heavily altering the database of VB. Having your site down for 6+ hours isn't really a fun a experience when installing or uninstalling a plugin. Not to mention worrying if your tables gets damages during the process for whatever odd reason.

Originally Posted by ForceHSS View Post
I will stay with dbseo for me there support and plugins are better by far. Just look how vbseo treated its members after closing this alone tells you what type of people runs it
They didn't treat their members bad, their staff just broke down in disagreement and partially it involved a family dispute. This can happen with any company if it doesn't have strong backbone.
  #13  
Old 20 May 2014, 21:34
Zachery's Avatar
Zachery Zachery is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Real name: Zachery Woods
Your site shouldn't be down that long, to begin with. I suspect your MySQL servers aren't up to snuff.
__________________
Looking for ImpEx?
  #14  
Old 20 May 2014, 21:54
katie hunter's Avatar
katie hunter katie hunter is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Originally Posted by Zachery View Post
Your site shouldn't be down that long, to begin with. I suspect your MySQL servers aren't up to snuff.
We have the best server admin known on http://www.webhostingtalk.com So that much I know. If he could do anything, he would have done it. You'd be lucky actually if you can hire him now days because he is so busy, he doesn't take new clients easily. If you visit WHT, you will probably notice his name being mentioned all the time.

You can't do anything when your tables are being altered and gets locked multiple time due to the heavy process and we run on strong dedicated server. The issue is altering thousands of tables at once.

Last edited by katie hunter; 20 May 2014 at 22:05.
  #15  
Old 20 May 2014, 22:35
Zachery's Avatar
Zachery Zachery is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Real name: Zachery Woods
Your vBulletin database has thousands of tables? Did you mean thousands of rows.

I stand by what I said, if your db isn't doing alters quickly, something is wrong. Either bad MySQL performance, or bad hardware performance.
__________________
Looking for ImpEx?
Closed Thread



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:55.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: