Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
PHPSpellchecker for VB2.x! (Beta) Details »
PHPSpellchecker for VB2.x! (Beta)
Developer Last Online: Aug 2006 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

This modification is in the archives.
vB Version: 2.2.x Rating: (0 vote - 0 average) Installs: 13
Released: 15 Jul 2002 Last Update: Never Downloads: 2
Not Supported Is in Beta Stage  

OK, finally here is the code for the PHPSpellchecker!
If you find any bugs, please post your findings here

Check out the Zip file for more info.

Enjoy!
Raz

Note: You will require PSpell (inc ASpell) installed.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
[Beta Release] VB2 TranslateIT V1 Dave# vBulletin 2.x Full Releases 3 27 Aug 2001 07:48

Old 20 Jul 2002, 20:40

Originally posted by Steve St.Lauren
When I run phpinfo.php here is what I show on the Configure Command line:

'./configure' '--with-apxs=/usr/local/sbin/apxs' '--with-config-file-path=/usr/local/etc' '--enable-versioning' '--with-regex=system' '--with-pspell=/usr/local/share/pspell' '--without-gd' '--with-zlib' '--with-mysql=/usr/local' '--enable-ftp' '--with-pspell=/usr/local' '--prefix=/usr/local' 'i386-portbld-freebsd4.6'

pspell is actually installed at /usr/local/share/pspell which is the default for FreeBSD's port install - I've tried setting the destination to that as well but it also didn't work.
Why do you have two --with-pspell directives?
Old 20 Jul 2002, 20:42

Originally posted by Velocd
*dies* Ok, dang, they're not going to be happy
Wish I knew this earlier...
Hmm....did they not even bother to read the documentation???
Old 20 Jul 2002, 20:44

Originally posted by Velocd
Hey Raz, or anybody else, what is the easiest way to get this to also check the title field of the post. I'm sure most of us have experienced when you mispell a word in a thread title, mostly new threads, and then you feel like an idiot because everyone see's the title is wrong and there is nothing you can do to change it. (unless you're the admin/mod).

So, any thoughts of how this could be done?
Adding support for that will be pretty difficult.

The easiest way to do that would be to create two spellchecking buttons - one that checks the title, and the other that checks the message body.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 22:18

That was a mistake Raz. I was adding it with the configure command and when I ran make install after a make clean it popped up a menu where I could turn pspell on there too. So it was enabled in both places. So far it seems to be working great for the majority of users on my site. However, there are some people that are just getting blank windows still. I'm having them check to make sure Java is enabled and that their anti-virus software isn't blocking Java. If that doesn't fix it for them I'm going to try to figure out what they have in common and let you know. Great mod for vBulletin BTW!! Thanks for the work.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 03:46

I had a user run into a problem today and I have verified it myself. On long messages it works fine until you get to the finished checking part. Then it either goes into a continuous loop or it goes to a blank screen with a dnserror. The test message I used was ~4,000 characters long with spaces to replicate this problem.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 22:29

Anyone know how to add words to the aspell dictionary? I've looked through the aspell documentation and can't make sense of it. It looks like I need to do a "aspell dump <wordlist>" and output that to a file to get the existing word list and then add to it. But when I try to do an aspell dump it give me an error that says that aspell dump is an unknown action. Thanks in advance.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 19:35

I've just installed and and will give it a try. I just have to get PHP recompiled with pspell support now. I'll let you know how it works.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 05:16

Raz, have you had a chance to look over this code yet?

It's a little buggy, sometimes you get blank pages, other times when you try to "finish checking" it does not do anything.
Old 21 Oct 2002, 18:11

Raz,

Thank you for the hack. I am getting this error message.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: pspell_new() in /home/moriel/www/html/forum/spellcheck/check.php on line 10

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Carol
Old 21 Oct 2002, 18:30

I get the same error and can no longer use this hack.

I wonder if there was a PHP patch that has made something incompatible.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 22:38

I have the same error but I have sent all the info from this thread to my host and they are sorting it for me.

maybe someone should write some info to give to the hosts so they know what is required from them
Old 02 Nov 2002, 06:42

errors with the pspell_new() function are indicative that pspell is not installed correctly on the server and/or php has not been compiled with pspell. Chances are, they upgraded php and forgot to include --with-pspell when compiling.
Old 02 Nov 2002, 06:45

On another note, has anyone tested this hack with Netscape? Using the latest 7.x build, it appears that the popup-spell check window remains blank. I don't know enough javascript to troubleshoot it, so I hope someone else here does.

Testing on Opera shows the same result--just a cute little blank.html screen

Ideas?
Old 02 Nov 2002, 16:00

I deinstalled this hack and gave up on it since Raz does not seem interested in fixing it.
Old 02 Nov 2002, 16:35

No one other than your host can compile php properly. If you're getting errors with pspell_new(), have them fix it.