Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 26 Feb 2014, 13:20

Illegal Logins

Just received a email saying I tried to access my account but failed 5 times with the wrong password, it was not me.

Can admin have a look at the logs and see what the last IP address was please and block.

Someone is trying to gain access to accounts but I changed my password just in case.

Regards
Old 26 Feb 2014, 13:28

This happens every so often on here, it is nothing to worry about, unless your password is easily guessed, or a insecure one like your username or "password" .
You can get access to my 180 mods for vB 3.6 - 4.x at The Admin Zone as well as the professional support you are used to. New vBulletin Spider Definitions, vBulletin Spiders List Hits 1000 Spiders! ​ OzzModz down. Site has had a data breach, checking how the intrusion happened. Change your PW if you use the same one on my site and others.
Old 26 Feb 2014, 17:41

Mine is hard I forget sometimes
Old 02 Mar 2014, 20:16

Originally Posted by The Realist View Post
Mine is hard I forget sometimes
Even so, most browsers have a function to "remember this password?", check that box after logging in and you don't need to remember it unless you install another OS or clear the settings with CCleaner.
Old 02 Mar 2014, 21:48

The days of using a simple password are over. If it is a shared computer, use something like "keypass" otherwise @final kaoss suggestion will work well for you.
Old 08 Apr 2014, 05:17

I have gotten 19 emails in the past few days, all from chinese ip addresses.

I think the best way would be to block out china if it happens this much.
Old 08 Apr 2014, 12:36

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=280796
Exclusive arcade addons, edits and skins were made by stangger5 owner of Next Level Arcade
Old 08 Apr 2014, 12:59

Originally Posted by GavoTrav View Post

I've been around for many years now and have come to the conclusion, you can not let the actions of a few be the guide you use to judge a group as a whole.
Not all Chinese are evil and up to no good. It is just a small part of the masses that do this. Block the entire country, and you may miss something wonderful.
Old 08 Apr 2014, 14:31

Not ever going to happen as that would stop legitimate Chinese license holders from having access- it is also fairly trivial to use IP addresses from any non-blocked country instead.

(@BirdOPrey5) Former vb.org Moderator. Fighting for a free & independent vb.org.
BirdOPrey5.com - Exclusive VB Mods! (Formerly Qapla.com) | Joe's Ultimate Off Topic
Note - I do not read my PMs often, do not expect quick replies.
Old 09 Apr 2014, 08:54

I got the email this morning, there should be a way to report illegitimate logins and have those individual ip addresses banned.
I have since changed my password anyway.
Your account on vBulletin.org Forum has been locked because someone has tried to log into the account with the wrong password more than 5 times. You will be able to attempt to log in again in another 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 111.92.160.244
Old 09 Apr 2014, 14:08

My user name here and my own forum's focus is military related. I thought that explained the numerous attempts to hack into my forum last year, and so I blocked china and a number of other potential future enemies there. A Chinese IP address tried to log in as me here, and so I suspected military "Hegemon" motives.

But perhaps not, maybe they are just crooks trying to steal industrial secrets or anything of value. Sorry you were nearly victimized but happy that it's not just me.
Old 09 Apr 2014, 14:45

Someone used a Thai address to try to get into my account this morning. These are often proxy servers and you can never really know where the real culprit is.

Long passwords are much harder to guess than short complicated ones.

e.g. It would take more effort to crack "123456789abc" than "!J9dh78X#".

But I don't recommend you use "123456789abc", either.
Old 09 Apr 2014, 14:54

I just had the same. To the site, ignore my email. It appears that this was a coordinated attack from the Phillipines (the IP shows as 222.127.126.218)
Old 09 Apr 2014, 15:05

Yup, I haven't posted here since 19 Mar 2008, same thing, lol. No luck on their part though, I just updated my password anyhow.
Old 10 Apr 2014, 02:59

We already have a thread about the issue here - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=280796

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
I will NOT help via PM (you will be directed to post in the forums for help.)
Closed Thread