Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What chat application do you find best? Please explain why.
123flashchat 38 30.40%
addonchat 34 27.20%
avchat 9 7.20%
flashcoms 8 6.40%
flasherize 2 1.60%
gagalive 1 0.80%
gchats 7 5.60%
phpopenchat 4 3.20%
prochatrooms 5 4.00%
v3chat 17 13.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10 Oct 2009, 20:29

I didnrt see Cybschatbox in the list, did I miss why?
Old 11 Oct 2009, 21:43

Because that's not full chat software, but a chat box. See the link to that poll in my signature.
Old 20 Nov 2009, 01:08

I would love to vote for BlaB! 4.7. I'm a big fan of this nice clean piece of software. Too bad it isn't in the poll list.
Old 20 Nov 2009, 01:19

A comparison of Dedicated Chat Solutions
Old 04 Dec 2009, 15:27

Do NOT use 123flashchat. I spent almost 2 grand with them trying to upgrade, sidegrade, or just plain get support for what they offered...

The coding is buggy, you can't get a response, and they delete any post off their forum if it's not 100% supportive - good luck finding out what other customers had problems with.

Buyer BEWARE when it comes to 123flashchat!!!!!
Old 26 Jan 2010, 16:04

I agree with Wolfyman, I spent $1,200 with them and the support was not good at all, the software was extremely buggy and over half the people that came in chat couldnt access it anymore and they even had all the latest flash updates and etc. I am going for AddonChat!
Old 08 Sep 2010, 17:13

AVchat 3 is excellent, spendy but the nicest video integration ive seen yet.
Old 28 Nov 2010, 10:23

q 3rd to 'do not use 123flashchat'. I found a significant security hole in their VB/other forum integration, then my chat was hacked (they may not be at fault there) so I looked up exploits and found this:

http://www.exploit-db.com/exploits/14658/

Given the weak coding of the plugins, the hack and the severity of those exploits I have stopped using 123FC and will be trying parachat instead.
Old 28 Nov 2010, 17:43

Since vbcodex is gone, I have posted my comparison of chat applications to vb-commercial:
http://www.vb-commercial.com/index.p...laycat&catid=9

I'd appreciate feedback!
Old 28 Nov 2010, 19:06

cometchat ~
Old 29 Nov 2010, 23:01

Yep by far the best is CometChat v2x
:
EYO-AIM, FlashChat Combo-Module for vBadvanced 3.6x or 3.7x
Old 30 Nov 2010, 17:35

Originally Posted by yotsume View Post
Yep by far the best is CometChat v2x
What do you think about the coding quality of cometchat? Has it improved since many people reported issues with it last year?

Last edited by Alfa1; 22 Oct 2012 at 22:26.
Old 30 Nov 2010, 18:02

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Alfa1 View Post
What do you think about the coding quality? Has it improved since many people reported issues with it last year?
I have been using Cometchat on my sites for about a year now. It allows me to tech support my members in real time.

CONS:
  • The main coding issue I have seen in pre 2x versions of the chat will break and show a white box if a user has as in their member name special characters accent marks such as a tilda above a letter. The chat will break!
  • The second issue is the chat log is stored inside the vb database and not in its own database. So those with a limited database size need to use a cron to delete the chat logs to prevent their database from being maxed out if your site has many users.
  • The chatroom plugin was a bug altogether in previous versions which is fixed in 2x. (I use Flashchat for a chatroom and Cometchat for individual members only chat).
PROS:
  • By far the best chat that matches exactly the system on Facebook. No matter where you are on your site the chat is always right there with you!
  • Can set the chat to show all online users.
  • Great admin panel with ajax spy and logs of all activity.
  • new version 2x is a vast improvement over previous versions.
  • The site translation plugin is awesome! Does make mistakes but not bad.
This style of chat system that follows users no matter what page you are on your site is the best system for my needs. It runs in the footer of your site so no matter where your footer shows so will the chat.

The chat has never given my site any problems running vb 3.7x or 3.8x. The only main problem I have come across is again the use of special characters accent marks above letters in members names. Examples: ũ or δ
Accent Marks and Diacriticals
http://www.starr.net/is/type/altnum.htm
(These are used in many foreign languages. So as mods grow to be used in other countries coders need to make sure their mods work with these accent marks.)
I am not sure if the current version has corrected this issue...
:
EYO-AIM, FlashChat Combo-Module for vBadvanced 3.6x or 3.7x
Old 30 Nov 2010, 22:33

Thanks for your explanation. Its very useful. I have checked out their site again and see that the price and the feature set have both gone up substantially. The price is up to $499 now. The features look good.

The Facebook like footer bar is offered by several other chat software as well, with the same or more functionality. Im wondering about the chat room application. Do you know what the login to the demo is?
Old 03 Dec 2010, 10:05

Parachat so far:

OK, but uses a java applet. Why is this a problem? Because they are a +++++ in page design and you can't lay anything over the top - eg pull down menus.

Second you have VB4 you need to convert the integration from VB3 to 4. OK, but time consuming.

Then two real negative points - it has the same security hole as 123FlashChat had - the authorization file for their system to check user logins is a lightweight and totally unprotected username/password pair testing tool. Want the passwords of any user of a VB site using Parachat? Yours easily and quickly with brute force / dictionary attacks on the chat_auth file. Worse than 123Flashchat because I am not hosting the chat server, I can;t protect this file to a single (my own) IP address.

Second I have had a support ticket in for this now for 5 days and still no response.

Despite another expense I am tempted to try cometchat and then write a blog on my VB chat system experiences.

If I get a satisfactory response from Parachat and a fix for the gaping security hole I will post it here. In the mean time, I would not recommend the VB integration of parachat, and if you are using it, then stop until they sort the problem.