Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Article Options
Old 06 May 2006, 22:03

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Lil Ripsta
Select "gzipped" as compression.
Are you sure about that? vB suggests to not use any compression at all when saving the database...
Old 07 May 2006, 02:58

Originally Posted by hornstar1337
this command mysqldump --opt -u user -p dbname > /path....

Does it compress the database?

As my old database size was 929 megs (done through cpanel) and this one is 721 megs. (done through SSH)
I notice that the database size is smaller when backing up with ssh...

but having backed up and restored numerous times now using ssh and the command you have posted, I have found it to be very smooth and works perfectly. I was using myphpadmin for back ups and bigdump.php for restoring.......but as the database grew I began getting errors and this method became unusable...

not to mention I can backup and restore a database in about 10 minutes using ssh, while the other method can take hours. It really sucks to spend 3 plus hours only to find you have a corrupted db

Last edited by Gunshot; 07 May 2006 at 21:24.
Old 07 May 2006, 13:36

Some hosts also offer automated MySQL backups at your defined times/when you select, you could always use http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=103259 if your worried about lost data.
Old 07 May 2006, 17:44

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TrueDeath
Some hosts also offer automated MySQL backups at your defined times/when you select
Site5 has a unique feature called 'Flashback' which automatically backs up every file that is one the server. You don't have to do anything. To restore a file simply click it from a master list and it's restored :bunny:
Old 07 May 2006, 19:50

Whoa that's pretty hot. Is that a feature-already in cPanel 'cause I am always hoping for an automatic backup system for cPanel.
Old 07 May 2006, 20:53

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Lil Ripsta
Whoa that's pretty hot. Is that a feature-already in cPanel 'cause I am always hoping for an automatic backup system for cPanel.
They don't use cPanel, they use their own scripts (called netadmin) and I must say it's the nicest (and easiest to use) control panel that we've ever seen :banana:
Old 02 Jun 2006, 04:55

I'm trying to move from one server to another. The server I am moving FROM doesn't have ssh access so I'll have to do it in phpmyadmin. The server I'm moving TO does not have phpmyadmin so I'll have to use the ssh method.

Can I use part 1 of the phpmyadmin tutorial and part 2 of the ssh tutorial? It's okay to combine the two like that, isn't it?
Old 03 Jun 2006, 05:02

Hi,
I'm restoring my database using phpMyAdmin and I followed step 2 in the first post when attempting to restored the db. When I do this I get the following error, does anyone know why or how to fix this?

SQL query:

_sitedb_.sql

MySQL said: Documentation
#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '_sitedb_.sql' at line 1
Old 04 Jun 2006, 06:55

Using SSH to backup your SQL file doens't specifically compress the database, the --opt command optimizes the database and clears the overhead on each table. While it may appear to be smaller, the database is actually the same size, without the overhead.

As for Site5, they actually do use CPanel, it is simply a skinned version of CPanel which is rebranded. They have indeed added their own features, such as FlashBack and such services, however it's easy to see they still use a rebranded version of CPanel .
Old 26 Jun 2006, 06:30

Originally Posted by Bubble #5
Site5 has a unique feature called 'Flashback' which automatically backs up every file that is one the server. You don't have to do anything. To restore a file simply click it from a master list and it's restored :bunny:
Site5 still recommends you use phpAdmin to backup your databases though.....

Which brings me to my question for anyone who can help -

When phpAdmin asks for a filename template for the database backup file there is this message below:

This value is interpreted using strftime, so you can use time formatting strings. Additionally the following transformations will happen: __SERVER__/server name, __DB__/database name. Other text will be kept as is.

Okay, I assume this means I can put something in the template which cause the filename to include the date/time, but I don't know what. Anyone help me with this??

Cheers.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 07:35

Bunny!

Originally Posted by G_Man
Site5 still recommends you use phpAdmin to backup your databases though.....
That's because Flashback doesn't back up databases yet
Old 20 Jul 2006, 21:23

how do you find the correct path??
Old 09 Sep 2006, 13:45

My previous host had ssh access, my new host doesnt, so I used the bigdump method, which seemed to have restored the mysql file on my new database, now I cant view my forums homepage (its blank) however I can log into admin cp without a problem
Old 09 Sep 2006, 21:38

I'm having some issues myself...

I'm all backed up via the export function on my old server. Fine.
I have a new dedicated server. So I created the database, and user for sql.

Problems.

I don't think I'm setting up the permissions for that new user correctly... I'm using plesk to add the new database and user. Fine.

I try to restore the database via ssh, and I get:

Can't create database 'DB_Name'; database exists

Ugh... So what is the issue there? If I delete the database, and do it that way, I get the errors saying no database exists. So I feel like i'm stuck.

I know there is probably a simple answer, but I just cant find it.

Thanks in advance folks.

Carter

Ah ha.. think I found the answer...

in ssh.. on a new server... use the "-f" command to ignore the error messages.
That fixed it.

sql -f -u USERNAME -p DB_NAME < /Path_to/sql_dump_file.sql

@dj

look here:
http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/blank_pages

Last edited by CBrown; 09 Sep 2006 at 21:45. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10 Sep 2006, 09:55

Originally Posted by CBrown
Thanks for that CBrown, it got the homepage displaying however I'm getting the following error now on the top of my forums homepage :hurt:

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated - argument passed by value; If you would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of fsockopen(). If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file. However, future versions may not support this any longer. in /websites/LinuxPackage02/xx/xx/xx/xxxxxx/public_html/forums/index.php(485) : eval()'d code on line 18