Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Commbull (Community Bulletin) 5.1a for vBulletin 4.01 Details »
Commbull (Community Bulletin) 5.1a for vBulletin 4.01
Mod Version: 4.5F for 4, by djbaxter (Coder/Designer) djbaxter is offline
Developer Last Online: Feb 2021 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 4.0.4 Rating: (1 vote - 5.00 average) Installs: 58
Released: 22 Jan 2010 Last Update: 14 Jul 2010 Downloads: 319
Not Supported DB Changes Uses Plugins Template Edits Auto-Template Additional Files  

This not the CommBull product itself. This is simply instructions for adapting it to work with vBulletin 4.x.

Download CommBull from: Commbull (Community Bulletin) 5.1a for vBulletin 3.8x

grandeur_69 has released his latest version of CommBull as a free add-on, indicating that he no longer has time to continue developing it. I am posting this here for the benefit of other vBulletin 4.x who don't want to lose the newsletter feature (grandeur_69 has approved this).

At http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showp...6&postcount=71 a member asks:

Hi, the version 5.1a work fine with vbulletin 4.0.1 ?
My response is posted at http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showp...5&postcount=72 and reproduced here...

I have the previous (commercial) version, 4.5f, which does run successfully via a cron job, running on 4.01. It required some modification of the installation instructions but it does work. I expect you should be able to get this version running as well, although as the coder noted the cron capability won't work.

1. Edit product-Commbull.xml and find the following line:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Change to:

2. Upload the files and import the product.

3. Now you need to do the template edits so that members can opt-in or opt-out of your newsletter. The current instructions are as follows:

4. Template modifications
--------------------------------------

Template: "Modify User Option" -> "modifyoptions"

After:

Add:

Now, obviously this won't work in 4.x. These need to be modified as follows:

1. Edit Template: "Modify User Option" -> "modifyoptions"

FIND:

ADD AFTER:

That first part (above) is the option to receive or not receive the newsletters.

Next would be the option for HTML or plain text emails, which should be:

Update:

This now works. I had a ( instead of a { on the previous code. Thanks to grandeur_69 for pointing this out!

Notes:
  1. The product is not mine so I can't offer any support for CommBull itself. However, I have been using the paid versions of this mod for some time and I'm happy to offer what support I can for making the changes necessary to get it running on 4.x.

2. I have been in communication with grandeur_69. He has indicated that he has no objections to this thread and that as he gets time he will be trying to develop this add-on further as a free product.

Update July 12, 2010: Product XML file provided by grandeur_69 for vBulletin 4.x.

NOTE:
  1. If you have already done the manual edits, do NOT use the XML file. And if you import the XML file, you should not need to do the manual edits.
  2. Some people are encountering problems using the XML file. If you are one of them, uninstall the product and use the manual edits. Those seem to work just fine.

Update July 14, 2010: Error in XML file corrected.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	top-custom-text.jpg
Views:	3324
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	110697   Click image for larger version

Name:	top-new-threads.jpg
Views:	2674
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	110698   Click image for larger version

Name:	articles.jpg
Views:	1831
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	110699  

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Administrative and Maintenance Tools Commbull (Community Bulletin) 5.1b grandeur_69 vBulletin 3.8 Add-ons 288 11 Jul 2014 05:19
Commbull (Community Bulletin) grandeur_69 vBulletin 3.5 Add-ons 116 19 Aug 2012 15:59
CommBull (Community Bulletin) grandeur_69 vBulletin 3.0 Full Releases 449 24 Feb 2009 05:16

Old 24 Aug 2015, 17:47

Apparently both are installed on the server. But I may have other issues with getting help

I have been one of the lucky ones who have never had to update their CommBull from the original "Commercial Version" and while still running it on two sites, I no longer have the originally purchased files. Although I may be able to pick them off the server. One of the reasons I kept the original was, it worked, and when I looked at the free update (when it seemed to be required for VB4 was the old version had the menu addition in the left column.

Things may have made another step backwards. The first test on the server sent out the email, but did not present it as html as mentioned. I eliminated the "Extra Material" just in case, and now while it is sending the emails, they don't seem to be going anywhere...

I downloaded install package from here to have a look at it, but I am not seeing any Zend or Ioncube files in the upload files.

Thank you for your patience and your help!
Old 13 Jan 2018, 12:52

when i update php from php ea-php56 to php 7 , i run Commbull to send Community Bulletin i get the following errors

Old 13 Jan 2018, 15:26

Originally Posted by khalled View Post
when i update php from php ea-php56 to php 7 , i run Commbull to send Community Bulletin i get the following errors

I am not a coder!, but I just had a look at commbull.php, and the lines stop well short of 382. I have modified the commbull.php in mine to change the presentation, and suspect you have too. Have a look at it (mine stops at 277).

I saw someone on another site suggested replacing eregi_replace with preg_replace.

I to get some errors and have solved some, but would love to see an update It seems hosts prefer to see our sites using commercial email services for newsletters. This may be alright for large enough sites, but I keep my newsletter to about 600, and that makes it tough to justify even $10.00 per month for the service.

Last edited by rcull; 13 Jan 2018 at 15:36.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 20:47

Originally Posted by rcull View Post
I am not a coder!, but I just had a look at commbull.php, and the lines stop well short of 382. I have modified the commbull.php in mine to change the presentation, and suspect you have too. Have a look at it (mine stops at 277).

I saw someone on another site suggested replacing eregi_replace with preg_replace.

I to get some errors and have solved some, but would love to see an update It seems hosts prefer to see our sites using commercial email services for newsletters. This may be alright for large enough sites, but I keep my newsletter to about 600, and that makes it tough to justify even $10.00 per month for the service.
many thanks , it work when i replacing eregi_replace with preg_replace
but i get some error as you said like

Old 16 Jan 2018, 10:57

Sorry, but this stopped working for me several versions of vBulletin 4 ago and I've not been able to fix it or upgrade it to a working version. The original coder has left the building.

The only free version of a newsletter which sort of works is [DBTech] DragonByte Newsletter v1 (vB4) but it is quirky. There is a Pro version of that add-on but it is also quirky.

You might also look at ModernvB Community Newsletter, another Pro add-on.
Old 16 Jan 2018, 20:26

Many thanks
Old 16 Jan 2018, 21:13

There once was a coder named Paul who had nothing to code at all.
He once worked for VB but no longer you see.
So why don't you give him a "call."
Old 16 Jan 2018, 22:10

I don't think Paul is lacking for things to do.

Plus this add-on was originally coded for vBulletin 3.x and lord knows what version of PHP. It was great while it lasted but as I upgraded other things eventually it simply stopped working on two separate forums, and I wasn't able to revive it. It would need a complete recode at this point, in my opinion.