Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16 Jan 2009, 14:56

Making a text editor appear with text inside

Is there any way to "spawn" a text editor (i.e. the thing I'm using to type this message) with text already inside? So, for example, if I were asking people to upload images, I'd like to make it so the text editor spawns with some predefined profile text inside - stuff like "Name, Age etc.".

Is that possible?

Thanks much,
Dan
Old 16 Jan 2009, 15:30

Do a search for the Thread Stencil mod. I think that will do what you want.

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
I will NOT help via PM (you will be directed to post in the forums for help.)
Old 18 Jan 2009, 04:02

Hey Lynne,

That's actually a really useful mod, and although I'll use it for other stuff, it doesn't do what I need in this instance. See, the thing is, I'm using the Ultimate Media Gallery, and it's in there that I'd like to spawn a text editor with text.

So: is there a manual way to do it? Like, perhaps I need to edit a PHP file or a template or something?

Any help appreciated,
Dan
Old 18 Jan 2009, 04:32

I'm not familiar with that mod, but it sounds like you are just talking about a form (like this box is). If so, google "form html" and you should be see how to pre-populate form elements. (I think that is what you are trying to do?)

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
Old 18 Jan 2009, 04:42

The two most popular (text) elements, pre-populated:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

View My Modifications
29 Releases and Counting... Latest Modification: dmActivityStream - vBookie Integration (4.x)

Please do not PM me to ask for support - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Old 18 Jan 2009, 04:54

Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
I'm not familiar with that mod, but it sounds like you are just talking about a form (like this box is). If so, google "form html" and you should be see how to pre-populate form elements. (I think that is what you are trying to do?)
Ach! I'm terrible at explaining myself when it comes to this stuff. Perhaps I should just show you what I mean?

Basically, I want the 'Description' box here to be pre-populated with text - namely, some basic stuff like "Name, Age etc.". So, I don't want to create a form per se, but populate an existing one (I guess?).

What I'm wondering is how I'd do that. And an idea of where I'd do it - i.e. in PHP, or in templates etc.

I apologise if I'm coming across a bit dense. I'm sort of just picking this stuff up as I go, and appreciate all your help.

Dan
Old 18 Jan 2009, 16:31

Exactly what I was thinking. That Description box is a form element - a <textarea> as Hanson wrote above. So, you want to pre-populate the <textarea>. Hanson wrote the html to do that.

W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
Old 18 Jan 2009, 16:34

If it is a vb add-on which is using the construct_edit_toolbar function(and i think it is one), you'll have to search for the call of construct_edit_toolbar in the file and add the text you want to have into, as first parameter!

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.