Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Why you're still on vB3?
vB3 is stable and easy 30 75.00%
I use mods not available for vB4 11 27.50%
I don't like vB4 interface 18 45.00%
vB4 is very unstable 12 30.00%
Scaring of loosing data 1 2.50%
I do not have money to upgrade 6 15.00%
Do not have the time to upgrade atm 3 7.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 13 Jan 2012, 18:33
Christos Teriakis Christos Teriakis is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Real name: Christos
Thumbs up Why 3.x forums have 5 times more visitors

Ok, in the early days of vB4, was normal the forums related to vB3 version to have more visitors than the forums vB4. But now is 26 months that vB4 exists, the support for vB3 has been almost stoped. But as you can see in the screenshot that I got a few minutes ago, the traffic to vB3 forums is many times more than vb4 forums.

Please vore and discuss what makes you stay back to vB3. Prisoner of a mod which does not exists, vB4 unstability, lover of the old good days of vB3, or what?

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vb3.jpg (84.4 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by Christos Teriakis; 13 Jan 2012 at 18:38.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 13 Jan 2012, 18:35
Boofo's Avatar
Boofo Boofo is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Real name: Rob
What screenshot?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 13 Jan 2012, 18:40
Christos Teriakis Christos Teriakis is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Real name: Christos
Originally Posted by Boofo View Post
What screenshot?
My big problem Always to forget the attachments. Once I have to send an email 4 times, and only in the 4th I added it
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 13 Jan 2012, 18:54
Boofo's Avatar
Boofo Boofo is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Real name: Rob
Well, I think part of the reason is because not everyone wanted to fork out the cash to upgrade to vb 4, especially a beta version. vb 3 was well established then and vb 4 was too new to have many mods for it. Plus we has to learn a new way of coding mods for vb 4 from vb 3 and not everyone was willing to jump on it at the time. Those of us that did have been on one hell of a ride for a while but things seem to be smoothing out now with vb 4. It's actually getting better.

Sorry about that. You wanted vb 3 users' opinions and I am on vb 4. My bad.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 13 Jan 2012, 19:24
Christos Teriakis Christos Teriakis is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Real name: Christos
Originally Posted by Boofo View Post
Sorry about that. You wanted vb 3 users' opinions and I am on vb 4. My bad.
Thank you for your time. I'm also in vB4 since the first release. I'm just wondering seeing so many visitors there, all times of the day.

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 13 Jan 2012, 19:36
Boofo's Avatar
Boofo Boofo is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Real name: Rob
Well, for the reasons stated above as well as the org is still on vb 3 so I'm sure that has something to do with it also. vB 4 got a bad rap out of the gate and it has taken them this long to finally start coming around to where they should have been long ago. Maybe as it progresses, there will be less vB 3 users out there and more vB 4 users. I think it will be interesting to start watching which way the trend goes from here on out, if vB 4 stays on the path it is currently on with the better updates.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 13 Jan 2012, 19:51
Adrian Schneider's Avatar
Adrian Schneider Adrian Schneider is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
I still use and recommend 3.8.x.

- Stable
- Less code, higher quality code-base, and simpler to build mods for
- Easier to skin (new stylevar system is a joke, IMO)
- Better interface (subjective, of course)
- I've already developed several years of mods for it that I use

It's obviously dated, but it doesn't take much work to make it look modern. We have a collection of plugins that we use to turn off several unused features, and make some areas simpler.

I won't upgrade for a long time. Perhaps 5.x, but I have no confidence in the team behind it.
__________________
Sr Software Developer / Tech Lead
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 13 Jan 2012, 21:03
TheLastSuperman's Avatar
TheLastSuperman TheLastSuperman is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Real name: Michael Miller Jr
I've seen the numbers reversed quite a few times, many in the vB4 forums but not so much the vB3... I'm on these forums as a friend once said "methodically" though and at any time of the day on any given day so don't be surprised.

You included a screenshot of the discussion forums, that could be related to searches being performed although so could the modification forum views but for example here is a screenshot of those currently viewing mods:



Although it's a different area entirely it does show logic different than that you have come to use so it's truly dependent on a few factors including time of day and the area of the site.

I will say this though, it seems the larger sites are still on 3.x more so than 4.x but that's imo.
Attached Images
File Type: png itdepends.png (59.1 KB, 269 views)
__________________
Daddy Does Dios and Figs!
https://www.linkedin.com/in/thelastsuperman

Search - Use the search feature to find similar issues/answers.
Information - Include screenshots, copy/pasted error codes, url etc.
Fixed - Please return to your thread/post and let us know how it was fixed!
Thanks - For participating! Click the "Like" on a post if someone helped you!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 14 Jan 2012, 06:34
Christos Teriakis Christos Teriakis is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Real name: Christos
Originally Posted by TheLastSuperman View Post
You included a screenshot of the discussion forums, that could be related to searches being performed although so could the modification forum views but for example here is a screenshot of those currently viewing mods:
I don't think that the traffic in Mods are realble, because all those who are still using vB3 are old members, and they have already downloaded and installed any modification that they needed for their site. Even if I haven't checked it, I don't believe that there are new mods for vB3, and also I don't believe that the new users are going to vB3. I'm talking for the old users, who, as I said before, they have no reason to visit the modification area.

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 14 Jan 2012, 07:06
TheLastSuperman's Avatar
TheLastSuperman TheLastSuperman is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Real name: Michael Miller Jr
Cool

Originally Posted by ChrisTERiS View Post
I don't think that the traffic in Mods are realble, because all those who are still using vB3 are old members, and they have already downloaded and installed any modification that they needed for their site. Even if I haven't checked it, I don't believe that there are new mods for vB3, and also I don't believe that the new users are going to vB3. I'm talking for the old users, who, as I said before, they have no reason to visit the modification area.

Chris
Well neither is the viewing count of the discussion forums then, can't be because who's logged in and who's just searching and from where, did they arrive here via Google, Yahoo or other? Also how may times do you imagine forum owners search for mods or have questions related to vB4 yet end up within a old thread related to vB3? We can't compare apples and oranges but we can enjoy the taste of each.

I dunno but if anything this is food for thought .
__________________
Daddy Does Dios and Figs!
https://www.linkedin.com/in/thelastsuperman

Search - Use the search feature to find similar issues/answers.
Information - Include screenshots, copy/pasted error codes, url etc.
Fixed - Please return to your thread/post and let us know how it was fixed!
Thanks - For participating! Click the "Like" on a post if someone helped you!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 14 Jan 2012, 14:04
Paul M's Avatar
Paul M Paul M is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Real name: Paul M
Your poll doesnt include all options.
For instance this site is not on vb4, but not for any of the reasons listed.

Your screenshot is somewhat meaningless, one random screenshot proves nothing really, but if you really want to examine it, more people are in the vb4 programming discussions and the vb4 design discussions than their vb3 counterparts.

Heres another one for you
My vb4 install count has now overtaken any of my vb3 versions. It continues to rise at a steady rate. So vb4 must be more popular than vb3 now .. right ?
__________________
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member


Cable Forum
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 14 Jan 2012, 14:10
BirdOPrey5's Avatar
BirdOPrey5 BirdOPrey5 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Real name: Joe D.
I love my VB 3.8 but even when I do release a new mod for both versions, VB 3.x will get maybe a tenth of the installs and downloads as a VB 4.x version.

I know you say that VB3 users are already running established forums and not looking for new mods- but if that were true the same could be said that they are not looking for help or support so it doesn't explain the higher numbers on your screenshot...

Could have been spiders crawling the VB3 pages... by post count VB4 forums seem much more active.
__________________
-Joe
Former vb.org Moderator. Retired.

@BirdOPrey5 | All Things BOP5 | Joe's Ultimate Off Topic
Note - I no longer making new VB mods, sorry.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 14 Jan 2012, 16:50
nhawk nhawk is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
I'm with BOP on this one. I coded my vB4 mods to vB3 by request and vB4 versions lead in downloads and installs by 10:1.

It's because of that, that I stopped updating the vB3 versions. I'll do bug fixes, but no new features will be added to them.

Besides, in my opinion vB3 will die a horrible death as coders move to newer versions of PHP. There are already some compatibility issues with PHP 5.3 and in most cases the only way to fix them is to roll back the PHP version. That may work for some people, but then if you run any other sites on the same server with a need for a newer version of PHP, your pretty much forced to change.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 14 Jan 2012, 18:47
Christos Teriakis Christos Teriakis is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Real name: Christos
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Your poll doesnt include all options.
For instance this site is not on vb4, but not for any of the reasons listed.
For sure there are many more options, I wrote what came first to my mind. Actually every single webmaster can has its own reason. At least I had to add an "Other" option.

Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Your screenshot is somewhat meaningless, one random screenshot proves nothing really, but if you really want to examine it, more people are in the vb4 programming discussions and the vb4 design discussions than their vb3 counterparts.
Even if its some weeks now that I'm visiting the Forums section (usally I'm goind directly to Mods), and I noticed this traffic difference, I tool the screenshot just before my post.

Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Heres another one for you
My vb4 install count has now overtaken any of my vb3 versions. It continues to rise at a steady rate. So vb4 must be more popular than vb3 now .. right ?
Well.. and here my question for you. Why you've your own forum running vB3?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 14 Jan 2012, 18:58
Adrian Schneider's Avatar
Adrian Schneider Adrian Schneider is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
more people are in the vb4 programming discussions and the vb4 design discussions than their vb3 counterparts.
Taking myself as an example, I rarely bother with the 3.x programming forums since it hasn't changed and won't be changing anymore. Why would new people want to learn an old platform? I check up on 4.x once and a while out of curiosity.

Numbers are obviously going to favor 4.x but there are a huge number of *large* forums that aer on 3.x and won't move for a very long time. From my own client-base, experience and observations, I'd say there are more *users* using 3.x forums than 4.x forums.

To me, that's a much more interesting and meaningful metric. And not to poke the bear, the fact that IB isn't eating its own dog food the biggest of all.

Cheers
__________________
Sr Software Developer / Tech Lead
Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vBulletin CMS Widgets Flag Counter - Recent Visitors - Top Countries Visitors twizzler vBulletin 4.x Add-ons 5 13 Apr 2011 21:18



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 15:30.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: