Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Steam Connect - Sign in with your Steam Account! [RC3] Details »
Steam Connect - Sign in with your Steam Account! [RC3]
Developer Last Online: Oct 2019 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 4.2.x Rating: (40 votes - 4.88 average) Installs: 240
Released: 15 Jul 2011 Last Update: 07 Nov 2012 Downloads: 2339
Not Supported DB Changes Uses Plugins Template Edits Additional Files External Content  

Steam Connect

INFO

-- Steam Connect Addon for vBulletin 4.2.x;
Development Platform := vBulletin 4.1.3 - 4.2.0, Debian Linux, PHP5, MySQL5, apache2;

Dependencies := lib cUrl (PHP), openid (included);

Author := Andreas "Radon" Rudolph, Disasterpiece;

Contact := [email protected], http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/member.php?u=198844

Homepage := http://purgatory-labs.de

WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW BEFORE INSTALLING

This addon is Unsupported as of 2015 until further notice. I have not enough time or interest in vbulletin to keep this alive.

This addon provides a framework for future extensions which make use of the Steam API.
It helps to determine the SteamID of an user. Unless older methods of inserting the steam
id into a user field, the addon lets the user authenticate with Steam OpenID, therefore
you can trust 100%, that this particular user is the same user as the Steam-ID provided.

Users can link their Steam ID to their forum account or they can create a new account
using details pulled from their Steam Profile.
Like the Facebook connect plugin, it allows users to quickly set up a forum account without
having to define a password or an email address. This option can be disabled in the AdminCP,
however it is encouraged to allow users to use this quick-register feature, since they
already authenticated themselves through steam, so any additional password or email
authentication is just unnecessary.

If the user decides to un-link his forum account with his steam-profile, he has to set up
a password and email first, so the forum account remains usable after this.

At the moment, the addon is in its second RC state, which means that the current versions contain mostly bugfixes and are candidates for a full release.
Until now, the product worked without major problems in productive environments.
Although it is stable as is, the author doesn't provide any guarantee.
Due to the nature of the addon and how vBulletin manages 3rd party code inclusion, additional
login and register methods have been provided by the plugin. It is discouraged to use the
plugin on high profile communities in this early development state.

If you have any further questions, feel free to post in this thread.

F.A.Q. / General Issues / Error Messages

"There has been a problem with the OpenID libary: No OpenID Server found at http://steamcommunity.com/openid"
- Additionally, a 503 HTTP error is thrown. Simple solution: Wait. Steam Community servers are overloaded/down right now, there's nothing you can do about it

Do NOT uninstall the mod if you want to keep the linked users records. Upgrading means uploading the new product xml file for the new version and choose "overwrite" in the upload dialog.
The Installer will handle the update process by its own. Uninstalling the product will erase all the table fields which contain the steam link data.

STEAM CONNECT ADDONS

- Steam Mini Profiles

INSTALL HOWTO

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Addons

Supporters / CoAuthors

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	scr1.JPG
Views:	2602
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	131037   Click image for larger version

Name:	scr2.JPG
Views:	2015
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	131038   Click image for larger version

Name:	scr3.JPG
Views:	1703
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	131039   Click image for larger version

Name:	scr4.JPG
Views:	1835
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	131040  

Click image for larger version

Name:	scr5.JPG
Views:	1489
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	131041   Click image for larger version

Name:	stc_steamicon.JPG
Views:	1609
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	133702   Click image for larger version

Name:	stc_adminoption.JPG
Views:	1522
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	133703  

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Mini Mods Steam IM Card v4.x (now with Steam Profile Tab) bananalive vBulletin 4.x Add-ons 41 19 Mar 2015 19:37
Mini Mods Steam IM Card TerrorKalle vBulletin 3.6 Add-ons 38 24 Jul 2008 22:16

Old 10 Nov 2012, 21:00

Originally Posted by Disasterpiece View Post
I suggest you send me a pm with your forum details and an administrative account, also include a detailed description how you want it to appear, then I'll take a look myself.
Disaster, i sent you a pm on all the information a WHILE back and you havent really responded yet, you may have forgotten but anyway check your inbox for an email by me. It has all the details and how i want it all set up. Thanks again for all the help
Old 11 Nov 2012, 13:57

Originally Posted by Disasterpiece View Post
You could modify the graphic to say what you want it to say if you like.
I mean, add a new button for people who signed up the normal way they will get a button saying "Link Steam Account" instead of it saying "Sign in though steam"
Old 12 Nov 2012, 10:13

Originally Posted by iSins View Post
I mean, add a new button for people who signed up the normal way they will get a button saying "Link Steam Account" instead of it saying "Sign in though steam"
Maybe in the next version(s). I'll definitely keep it in mind.
Old 13 Nov 2012, 10:20

Small bug found.

When a user first registered on the forums, he'll be moved to the "users awaiting email confirmation" group. If you link your steam with your forum profile first while the primary steam group is selected and then activate your forum profile, you'll be within the registered usergroup rather than the steam usergroup you selected.

I prefer the steam linked profiles to be in a primary group rather than a secondary. I do believe the only way to actually "solve" this is to add an extra feature so the button will not be displayed nor people can link when they are in a specific usergroup, like the awaiting usergroup one.

While I could use secondary usergroup that works just perfectly, quite a few plugins depend and act on the primary usergroup of which for us is currently registered user, with as secondary "steam linked". I want everyone who steam links (and registered through steam) for it to be primary.

Last edited by Skyrider; 13 Nov 2012 at 10:33.
Old 13 Nov 2012, 18:26

That's not intended. Thx for reporting.
Old 17 Nov 2012, 15:41

steam Id user Profile Feild

Hi
im using a cron to connect my forum members in a usergroup to sourcebans and it requires a profile field
ex (field5) to get the STEAM ID i see this mod pulls it already.
is there a profile field for that i can use in this mod so all they have to do is click the steam connect button. like when it displays a connected users steam id in the admin pages what would be the field there ?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp steam connect.bmp (488.9 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by goarack; 17 Nov 2012 at 15:46.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 02:02

It looks like it's the profile field in the databse called steam_code in user profile field
Old 18 Nov 2012, 06:08

Originally Posted by iSins View Post
Is there away to make it so people who haven't linked there steam account to have a button saying "Link your steam account now" instead it saying "Sign in using steam"?
+1 this, my site already have over 6000 members and it would seem pointless to install this mod if only new registrations can link their steam accounts.
Old 19 Nov 2012, 01:38

will this be updated for vb5 ?
Old 19 Nov 2012, 11:18

Originally Posted by goarack View Post
Hi
im using a cron to connect my forum members in a usergroup to sourcebans and it requires a profile field
ex (field5) to get the STEAM ID i see this mod pulls it already.
is there a profile field for that i can use in this mod so all they have to do is click the steam connect button. like when it displays a connected users steam id in the admin pages what would be the field there ?
There is a code-solution for steambans floating around somewhere, I did this multiple times by now. I'll see if I can find it.
Basically you need to modify the sourcebans that it doesn't get the id from the field, but from the functions steam connect provides.

Originally Posted by deltahawk5 View Post
+1 this, my site already have over 6000 members and it would seem pointless to install this mod if only new registrations can link their steam accounts.
I wasn't aware that this feature is that important, I'll include it in the next version.

Originally Posted by goarack View Post
will this be updated for vb5 ?
I signed up for the vb5 beta but wasn't granted access, so I don't own it yet. It should come eventually. Currently none of my forums are near to be upgraded to vb5 so I have no reason to spend that much money at this time. And I don't know how much the vb code changed so I can not say how long the new addon-development may take.
Old 19 Nov 2012, 17:02

I've installed your mod on my site, and it appears to be working as intended with one exception: On the user's profile page, if you click their Profile Picture (the one pulled from Steam) the link fails with the message of "This user has not registered and therefore does not have a profile to view." Upon checking the link I found it to be "http://domainname.com/member.php?MONDO" where Vbulletin without your mod places it as "http://domainname.com/member.php?2-MONDO" which is correct. Is there a simple way to sync these up? I'm using VBulletin v4.2 Patch Level 3 (most current) . Thanks for any help your can provide.
Old 19 Nov 2012, 17:16

Another small bug report. Those who steam linked (secondary usergroup) while they have registered when email verification is required can still post without validating their email. See image:

He was able to make threads and to reply to posts, while the awaiting email usergroup doesn't allow that. And yea, steam settings email verification is set to yes.

Another feature request. Show up the steam button (sign in / login) for specific usergroups. For both unregistered and registered users. For now, I've solved it with using this:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Last edited by Skyrider; 20 Nov 2012 at 10:39.
Old 20 Nov 2012, 12:56

Originally Posted by RG_MONDO View Post
I've installed your mod on my site, and it appears to be working as intended with one exception: On the user's profile page, if you click their Profile Picture (the one pulled from Steam) the link fails with the message of "This user has not registered and therefore does not have a profile to view." Upon checking the link I found it to be "http://domainname.com/member.php?MONDO" where Vbulletin without your mod places it as "http://domainname.com/member.php?2-MONDO" which is correct. Is there a simple way to sync these up? I'm using VBulletin v4.2 Patch Level 3 (most current) . Thanks for any help your can provide.
Weird, the mod uses vbulletin functions to get the url, in case you have seo engines running. I'll check it out, looks like a bug.

Originally Posted by FF|Skyrider View Post
Another small bug report. Those who steam linked (secondary usergroup) while they have registered when email verification is required can still post without validating their email. See image:

He was able to make threads and to reply to posts, while the awaiting email usergroup doesn't allow that. And yea, steam settings email verification is set to yes.
I suspect that you derived the Steam Linked group from registered users? Then it should have posting rights, which means that the user gets the posting rights from the steam linked group instead from his primary group. I'm not sure what is the problem here, since the addon seems to do everything right. I'll come back to you and check the problem in the meantime.

However, since linked steam users are already validated to be "real users", I was of the impression that there's no need to limit their posting privileges, that's why I didn't test this in greater detail.

Another feature request. Show up the steam button (sign in / login) for specific usergroups. For both unregistered and registered users. For now, I've solved it with using this:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.
Thanks for your suggestion but for now I think it's enough that admins can add this feature/behaviour with 2 lines of code by themselves if they really need it.
Old 20 Nov 2012, 21:29

I suspect that you derived the Steam Linked group from registered users? Then it should have posting rights, which means that the user gets the posting rights from the steam linked group instead from his primary group. I'm not sure what is the problem here, since the addon seems to do everything right. I'll come back to you and check the problem in the meantime.
Yea, I just find it odd that the secondary usergroup overrides the primary permissions. Hence the suggestion for members awaiting email verification not being able to see the steam login button.

The "if member of" code I added only applies to the button code on the the main forums. I'd have to apply/extend it so it won't display in the members profile settings either. The bug I've mentioned earlier for people who use steam linking still stays in email verification group nonetheless would be easily solved if they weren't allowed to steam link if they are in that group at all to begin with .

BUG REPORT (if this is a bug)

I've set "Primary Usergroup for Steam-Users" for both new registrations and current forum profiles. Yet, after validating it stays in the registered usergroup. Is it supposed to be like this? Feels awfully the same as the previous bug I reported a couple of days ago.

Last edited by Skyrider; 21 Nov 2012 at 08:37.
Old 22 Nov 2012, 11:06

Originally Posted by FF|Skyrider View Post
I've set "Primary Usergroup for Steam-Users" for both new registrations and current forum profiles. Yet, after validating it stays in the registered usergroup. Is it supposed to be like this? Feels awfully the same as the previous bug I reported a couple of days ago.
This only applies to users who have not set up email or password and therefore depend on the steam login feature. Users who first sign up with a forum account, and then link their steam accounts will never be put into the primary steam usergroup, which is correct behaviour. This is what the "secondary usergroup" is for. Maybe that's the thing?