Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Mod Options
Amazon Store Integration Details »
Amazon Store Integration
Mod Version: 1.00.00 B8, by mikelbeck (Member) mikelbeck is offline
Developer Last Online: Feb 2016 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

This modification is in the archives.
vB Version: 3.6.8 Rating: (3 votes - 4.33 average) Installs: 61
Released: 31 Oct 2007 Last Update: 08 Nov 2009 Downloads: 856
Not Supported DB Changes Uses Plugins Template Edits Additional Files Translations External Content Is in Beta Stage  

Finally, I've gotten around to putting together a version of the Amazon Store integration mod for vBulletin 3.6.

This mod allows you to add an Amazon store to your vBulletin. You can set it to search for a particular keyword, for different types of items - CDs, DVDs, Clothing, etc. A sample of the store in action is available here: http://www.lidragracing.com/amazon_store.php.

You will need to sign up for Amazon Web Services to get an AWS key in order for this to work. In addition, you need to have PHP 5 installed on your server.

Installation is very simple, upload 3 files, import the xml file and then add a link to the store in your navigation bar. See the attached file "ECS Amazon Store.txt" for the exact installation instructions.

Give it a try, let me know what you think. Make sure you click "Mark as Installed" if you've installed it.

Also, if you intall it and use it, please post the URL you have it installed at so I can see how it's being used.

{edit}

To upgrade to a newer version, re-upload the php files and then import the xml product file. Afterwards go to the admin control panel to check to make sure all of the fields are filled in properly.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Show Your Support

  • To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Amazon Store Integration mikelbeck vBulletin 3.0 Beta Releases 35 31 Oct 2007 17:11

  #31  
Old 31 Oct 2007, 16:24
mikelbeck's Avatar
mikelbeck mikelbeck is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Originally Posted by BadgerDog View Post
Thanks....

I think it's use will be too narrow unless one can string multiple terms together.....

Also, I don't understand this AWS key thing?

Is that ALL we need to do to get commision payments from Amazon if someone orders a book as a result of being redirected from our site on-line store using your mod?

Getting this AWS key alone seems to be different from the Amazon Associates Program page, which doesn't recognize the email address (account) that I used to get the AWS key? I wonder if they're two different programs and one has to register for both?

Regards,
Badger
There are two items you need from Amazon. An AWS Key and an Associates ID.

The AWS key is what allows you to talk to AWS (Amazon Web Services) to get the data. The Associates ID is what tags your links, so you will get credit for them when somebody clicks them from your site and makes a purchase from Amazon.

To sign up for the AWS Key, go to https://aws-portal.amazon.com/gp/aws...ion/index.html.

To sign up for the Associates ID, go to http://associates.amazon.com.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 31 Oct 2007, 16:50
BadgerDog BadgerDog is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Real name: Doug
Originally Posted by mikelbeck View Post
There are two items you need from Amazon. An AWS Key and an Associates ID.

The AWS key is what allows you to talk to AWS (Amazon Web Services) to get the data. The Associates ID is what tags your links, so you will get credit for them when somebody clicks them from your site and makes a purchase from Amazon.

To sign up for the AWS Key, go to https://aws-portal.amazon.com/gp/aws...ion/index.html.

To sign up for the Associates ID, go to http://associates.amazon.com.
Thanks....

That's helpful and clear....

I've got one, so I'll go apply for the other now....

Regards,
Badger

Edit: Got the Associateds ID, so now is there anything special (any place) with this mod I need to put it like I did with the AWS number, or is just automatic?

Last edited by BadgerDog; 31 Oct 2007 at 16:57.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 31 Oct 2007, 17:09
yoyoyoyo's Avatar
yoyoyoyo yoyoyoyo is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Originally Posted by BadgerDog View Post
Edit: Got the Associateds ID, so now is there anything special (any place) with this mod I need to put it like I did with the AWS number, or is just automatic?
In the ACP VB options for this mod there is a box to enter your associates ID. If you do not see it, then re-download the zip file and import the product again, since the author updated it to add the associates ID. The mod does not add the associates ID to the URL at this time, and the author has indicated that he will fix this issue, so keep an eye on this thread, and when he fixes the issue you can reupload the files and import the product again at that point. He supplied a fix a couple posts back that was supposed to fix this, but it did not work for me - still waiting for the official fix from him.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 31 Oct 2007, 19:11
mikelbeck's Avatar
mikelbeck mikelbeck is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Ok, B3 is posted now. This fixes the Associates ID issue with the links.

Re-upload the php files, then import the XML file making sure to check the "allow overwrite" option.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 31 Oct 2007, 19:48
BadgerDog BadgerDog is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Real name: Doug
Originally Posted by mikelbeck View Post
Ok, B3 is posted now. This fixes the Associates ID issue with the links.

Re-upload the php files, then import the XML file making sure to check the "allow overwrite" option.
Updated...

Thanks

Regards,
Badger
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 31 Oct 2007, 19:53
BadgerDog BadgerDog is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Real name: Doug
Originally Posted by yoyoyoyo View Post
In the ACP VB options for this mod there is a box to enter your associates ID. If you do not see it, then re-download the zip file and import the product again, since the author updated it to add the associates ID.
Found it.....

Updated to current B3 version....

Thanks ...

Only question I have is that I have two different associate ID's.... one for Amazon.com and one for Amazon.ca...

I entered for the mod the .COM one, so I wonder how that's going to sort itself out if someone orders from .CA?

Regards,
Badger

Last edited by BadgerDog; 31 Oct 2007 at 20:06.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 31 Oct 2007, 20:17
RichieBoy67's Avatar
RichieBoy67 RichieBoy67 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Real name: Richie
Great job...

Mine is here - I added a search at the top and right now I am using the search term Movies. For some reason with Amazon it is difficult to add too many keywords. If you do you end up showing no products at all.

I really would like to incorporate more into this though such as a cache and a search. At the very least a conditional link to take people back to the main page of the store after they are done looking at a product...

It would be great to be able to get some of these products crawled and indexed and I don't think it will happen this way... All the same though, if you have a niche site and are looking to sell a specific category of products this will work well...

Thanks for your work...
__________________

Let us take care of your forum, seo, seo reports, maintenance, what ever you need.

Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 31 Oct 2007, 20:31
mikelbeck's Avatar
mikelbeck mikelbeck is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Originally Posted by RichieBoy67 View Post
Great job...

Mine is here - I added a search at the top and right now I am using the search term Movies. For some reason with Amazon it is difficult to add too many keywords. If you do you end up showing no products at all.
I'm working on that.

I really would like to incorporate more into this though such as a cache and a search. At the very least a conditional link to take people back to the main page of the store after they are done looking at a product...
I'll add that to the next release.

It would be great to be able to get some of these products crawled and indexed and I don't think it will happen this way... All the same though, if you have a niche site and are looking to sell a specific category of products this will work well...
Looking at the pages Google has for my site (the one in the description of this mod), there are a whole bunch from the Amazon store... Also, I've got another site (non-vBulletin) that uses the same technology as this. I haven't completed the site yet, so the only thing that's publically available are links to items in the Amazon store. Google has almost 5000 pages indexes of nothing but Amazon products, displayed on my site. The pages are titled differently, though... the only thing I can tell you is to wait and see what happens when the spiders come crawling your site.

Thanks for your work...
Thank you for using it!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 31 Oct 2007, 20:33
mikelbeck's Avatar
mikelbeck mikelbeck is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Originally Posted by BadgerDog View Post
Found it.....

Updated to current B3 version....

Thanks ...

Only question I have is that I have two different associate ID's.... one for Amazon.com and one for Amazon.ca...

I entered for the mod the .COM one, so I wonder how that's going to sort itself out if someone orders from .CA?

Regards,
Badger
I would think that your .COM ID would get credit for it, I don't think it matters what Amazon site a person orders from. But I'm not positive about that.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 31 Oct 2007, 20:38
Khalid-B's Avatar
Khalid-B Khalid-B is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
hello,
i installed this hack and i am getting this error ,

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: simplexml_load_file() in /home/xyz/public_html/Forums/amazon_store.php on line 55

Can u please help me
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 31 Oct 2007, 20:41
mikelbeck's Avatar
mikelbeck mikelbeck is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Originally Posted by nosherwan9 View Post
hello,
i installed this hack and i am getting this error ,

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: simplexml_load_file() in /home/xyz/public_html/Forums/amazon_store.php on line 55

Can u please help me
Thanks
This mod required PHP 5. Do you have that installed?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 31 Oct 2007, 20:45
Khalid-B's Avatar
Khalid-B Khalid-B is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
yes i am using php 5 .........Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 31 Oct 2007, 20:53
mikelbeck's Avatar
mikelbeck mikelbeck is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Originally Posted by nosherwan9 View Post
yes i am using php 5 .........Thanks
Looks like it needs libxml 2.6 or higher as well.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 31 Oct 2007, 20:55
Khalid-B's Avatar
Khalid-B Khalid-B is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
libxml 2.6 << what is this and how can i fix it?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 31 Oct 2007, 21:36
yoyoyoyo's Avatar
yoyoyoyo yoyoyoyo is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
I appreciate all of your hard work and support. It appears that the links are now showing up properly



nominated for MOTM!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Mod Options

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:27.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: