Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13 Dec 2009, 23:22

Originally Posted by Kaelon View Post
Also, how are you guys changing your image variables?
Strictly through replacement variables. I didn't even know how that feature worked until one of vB's staff replied in a post (probably in this thread ) that it could "rewrite" HTML before it got sent out to the browser. I had at first changed all the entries in the theme's file, but that was too time consuming and error-prone. This also allowed me to change the paths for other image sets that the themes didn't cover (like smilies, IIRC).

When I was done, all I hadn't done through SimpleCDN were attachments, since they were not called directly via image URLs. And I had zero time or patience to work around it.
Old 14 Dec 2009, 09:00

We use RRs and $vbphrases for images and client script.

We are also just about finished with a PHP script that monitors the CDN's performance and if it falls short of our expectations, automatically changes the DNS A records to a different server. Then, when the CDN is performing well again, it switches back.

I am considering adding a backup CDN so when SimpleCDN hiccups, which is does sometimes, our system will automatically switch over to the second one, which is more expensive. Then, when SimpleCDN is performing again, we switch back to save money.
Old 19 Dec 2009, 17:48

@imported_silkroad -- What RR's are you using? (.htaccess rewrites, or via vBSEO?)

SimpleCDN recently announced a big shift in how it prioritizes outgoing traffic. So-called "free" accounts (trial accounts with the $15), are placed on their lowest tier networks and often blocked. Once you add money, you are placed into "premium account" status and enjoy all of the network routing, the CDN bounces and triangulation, etc. So, I added some cash to our trial account and noticed a huge improvement in both speed and reliability. It looks like SimpleCDN is definitely delivering for us. Now, I just need to figure out how to leverage it!

So far, I am using an Upload Bucket to handle our site's template imaging. I am thinking of a dynamic/mirror bucket for user-uploaded content (our galleries, etc.). Anything else you can suggest?
Old 19 Dec 2009, 18:11

We are using standard vBulletin RRs in the style manager.
Old 21 Dec 2009, 12:53

I'm curious what all you guys are seeing in Google webmaster tools site performance:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1934514
Old 21 Dec 2009, 14:10

Originally Posted by tpearl5 View Post
I'm curious what all you guys are seeing in Google webmaster tools site performance:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1934514
We have a similar issue and are moving off SimpleCDN to see if the Google Webmaster performance reporting tool changes significantly.

Old 21 Jan 2010, 21:05

What replacement variables are people using?

Just "images/ and the standard image folder names with the full cdn url before it?
Old 25 Jan 2010, 13:51

images do not need RRs. You can move images to/from the CDN using stylevars.
Old 04 Feb 2010, 14:19

Originally Posted by imported_silkroad View Post
images do not need RRs. You can move images to/from the CDN using stylevars.
But how can I move the /icons/ avatars/ folder? any idea?

Another question, I've setted up the cdn within the stylevars, but after running the YSlow plugin from Firefox, it tell's me to move these imgs to a cdn (they already are on a cdn)... sounds crazy.... any tip for this?
Old 14 Feb 2010, 17:01

FYI,

For those interested in how to create automated switchover between a CDN and their origin server (or other CDN or web server) in case of problems with their CDN, see this blog post:

[PHP] Web Failover Code Using cURL and Shared Memory

It is pretty easy to take the PHP code in the blog post above and create a vB Plugin.

--------------- Added 14 Feb 2010 at 17:24 ---------------

Originally Posted by supermak View Post
BAnother question, I've setted up the cdn within the stylevars, but after running the YSlow plugin from Firefox, it tell's me to move these imgs to a cdn (they already are on a cdn)... sounds crazy.... any tip for this?
For the past view months, SimpleCDN is performing very poorly. We have moved most of our traffic off SimpleCDN until (if or when) there service improves.

Our EU traffic is not even served from the EU, it is served from the US. Ditto for Asian traffic, it is not served from Asia, but from the US.

At the moment, SimpleCDN is performing very poorly. I don't recommend them at this time.

Last edited by imported_silkroad; 14 Feb 2010 at 17:24. Reason: Auto-Merged DoublePost
Old 04 Mar 2010, 15:08

Hi, i have gotten an account, any way to have my files hosted there? Thanks.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 11:53

Looks like SimpleCDN got bigger faster than they could handle, from SimpleCDN's website:

Due to high demand, new Mirror and Upload buckets are temporarily unavailable.
Old 03 Apr 2010, 15:58

Yes, that is right. If you don't already have a SimpleCDN "Mirror Bucket" you will have to wait. They have grown too fast and also are having trouble serving content in the EU.

Because we are a long time customer, they offered us a free three month trial of their new "Hot Cache" service, which serves correctly in both the US and the EU, so far.

Also, we have moved to using Apache2 mod_rewrite in combination with vB RRs to get content from the CDN. After working with this for quite some time, I have found the following:
  1. Use a CNAME in your DNS so you can easily switch CDN providers.
  2. Use Apache2 mod_rewrite to direct content (like clientscript and images) to the CDN.
  3. Use vB Relevant Replacements (RRs) for some of the ones not easily done with mod_rewrite.
We are actually using both Mirror Buckets (for dynamic images like avatars) and HotCache for static ones.

Prices are currently around 4 cents per GB/month for MirrorBucket and cheaper for HotCache if you have 4TB per month plus of content delivered (not cost effective for forums serving less CDN traffic, but cheaper than many others...)

--------------- Added 03 Apr 2010 at 15:59 ---------------

Originally Posted by ChopSuey View Post
Hi, i have gotten an account, any way to have my files hosted there? Thanks.
With MirrorBuckets, you don't need to host anything. It automatically grabs any file that is not currently in the CDN from the origin server (provide the path is the same... a mirror..)

Last edited by imported_silkroad; 03 Apr 2010 at 15:59. Reason: Auto-Merged DoublePost
Old 05 Apr 2010, 21:03

Has anyone found another service that offers something comparable to SimpleCDN's "Mirror Bucket"? I should've really reserved a Mirror Bucket when I had the opportunity to, since the dynamic storage of images is exactly what our forum needed, but I stuck with the Upload bucket for our main static content.
Old 06 Apr 2010, 08:24

Originally Posted by Kaelon View Post
Has anyone found another service that offers something comparable to SimpleCDN's "Mirror Bucket"? I should've really reserved a Mirror Bucket when I had the opportunity to, since the dynamic storage of images is exactly what our forum needed, but I stuck with the Upload bucket for our main static content.
SimpleCDN claims their Mirror Bucket service will be "available for new accounts" in a few months.

Also, they told me they are also working on adding the same feature to their more expensive (for low volume traffic) "Hot Cache" offering, but I would not hold my breath for that one.