Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17 Apr 2009, 02:34

Who Quoted, guidance needed

I'm interested in attempting to make this, however I'd like a couple of pointers to help me on my way. Basically I'm looking to make what I posted over here.

Sadly I'm a little stumped as to what table would be best to query to find out when someone has been quoted, by whom and what the post ID is. I basically want this:

User1 Quotes User2 -> Cron runs every x seconds -> Identifies new quotes -> shows User 2 the last 5 times they've been quoted with direct link to post they were quoted in.

Problem is I have no idea which table, if any would tell me who's quoting who etc.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 05:53

Ah, if only it was that easy - just query a table. It's not, unfortunately. The best method to do this would be to catch posts as they are coming in (@ one of the Post DM hooks), and scan it for quotes, then do whatever to keep count.

View My Modifications
29 Releases and Counting... Latest Modification: dmActivityStream - vBookie Integration (4.x)

Please do not PM me to ask for support - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 10:55

Ah fair enough, so the best option would be to have a new database table to store the relevant details in. Hmm going to have to figure out the most efficient way of collecting the data now, thanks!
Old 17 Apr 2009, 11:12

I would not even know where to start Way over my head. but ... is it worth the trouble? What is the purpose of getting these details available to the user? Wouldn't they get a post digest anyway if they're participating in topics?
Old 17 Apr 2009, 12:01

Originally Posted by Floris View Post
I would not even know where to start Way over my head. but ... is it worth the trouble? What is the purpose of getting these details available to the user? Wouldn't they get a post digest anyway if they're participating in topics?
I largely agree but on a few sites I've used it's really useful to see when you've been quoted, particularly in popular debate topics. It's certainly made me more active on a forum than I would have been otherwise.

I'm going to see how it works on phpBB and see if I can get the concept over. Problem is I'm used to working on PHP scripts that I've done myself rather than trying to incorporate changes into an existing one. Still, it's worth a go.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 18:09

I have a user who loves to see when he's mentioned. He just does a search on his username everytime he comes on the site. (He has a username that is an object that can be used in a regular sentence, so now users love to throw his name into posts just so he is stuck wading through the posts for what he really wants. )

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
I will NOT help via PM (you will be directed to post in the forums for help.)
Old 17 Apr 2009, 19:07
nexialys

same here i suppose, people are always posting my name whenever they have the feel to bother me... lol