Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17 Apr 2019, 04:05

Is this community getting haunted?

I'm seeing a lot of decreases of users activity in this forum since last few years ago and got worse from last year. Till now you can see latest about 20 new posts gap was between last 5 days ago.

Is really everyone is leaving this software? I've seen currently vanilla & xenforo get most out of active posters per day.
Old 24 Apr 2019, 19:08

Wen you said haunted I envisaged a thread about ghosts in the machine
Old 26 Apr 2019, 14:56

It's no secret that the active member count has been steadily declining since the release of vB5. The end of life declarations of vB3 and 4 didn't help either.

2011 stats:

Today's stats:
Attached Images
File Type: png vb2011.png (9.0 KB, 137 views)
File Type: png vb2019.png (8.7 KB, 138 views)
Old 26 Apr 2019, 15:42

Modifications and add ons are no way to run a forum. They're unnecessary bells and whistles that don't get anyone to register and don't keep anyone coming back. I feel bad for long-time established forums that have a bunch of customization and feel trapped in using outdated software because they're afraid their members won't like change. Maybe they're right but members like forums that have nothing to offer that can't be found elsewhere even less.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 20:09

Originally Posted by In Omnibus View Post
members like forums that have nothing to offer that can't be found elsewhere even less.
Don't you mean members DON'T like forums?
Old 08 Jun 2019, 20:09

the moderators here are not helpful, so I don't even bother asking anymore.
Old 08 Jun 2019, 20:31

Moderators should keep place in order, not help with problems you have. Unless they know solution, which they don't have to.
Old 08 Jun 2019, 21:13

Originally Posted by Alan_SP View Post
Moderators should keep place in order, not help with problems you have. Unless they know solution, which they don't have to.
Really? On my forums and every one that I frequent the moderators are put in place because they are experts on the forum topics and there to help members.
Old 08 Jun 2019, 23:32

Originally Posted by Prince View Post
the moderators here are not helpful, so I don't even bother asking anymore.
Helpful to what? Building your forums and community for you? Nothing does that.
Old 09 Jun 2019, 00:29

Originally Posted by In Omnibus View Post
Helpful to what? Building your forums and community for you? Nothing does that.
Did I say that or ask for any help building my community? This is a vB hack/mod forum is it not?

I have been running a vB forum for 18 years, in fact I have two boards the other one is 7 years old.

It is responses like these that explain why this board is DEAD.
Old 09 Jun 2019, 01:38

Did I say that or ask for any help building my community? This is a vB hack/mod forum is it not?

I have been running a vB forum for 18 years, in fact I have two boards the other one is 7 years old.

It is responses like these that explain why this board is DEAD.
I'm asking a question. You stated "the moderators here are not helpful" so the question is:

Helpful with what? What is it you expect of the moderators here?

That question is in no manner "why this board is dead."

This board is mostly dead because third party coders are more interested in charging for their work than they are in giving it away.
Old 09 Jun 2019, 03:24

Many times I have posted questions about mods or how to do things with no helpful responses and that is what people come here for.
Old 09 Jun 2019, 03:34

Many times I have posted questions about mods or how to do things with no helpful responses and that is what people come here for.
It is but the developer of the mod should be the one answering the questions, not the moderators, unless a moderator is the developer of the mod.

I'm all for this not being a ghost town but with vBulletin 4 no longer being developed and with vBulletin 5 being an entirely different animal (one which includes several of the most popular mods from vB4.x in the core software) there's simply less of a market for free third party mods and add-ons. The fact is most of the third party coders left for greener pastures. They went to software that charges for everything. Why people think that's better is beyond me. The ones who were developing for vB4 had a falling out with upper management because developers want control over their work. Many of them moved their products to other locations where they continue to support them.

I just don't think we should railroad every past or present moderator as being the same. It's a grossly inaccurate and unfair assessment.
Old 09 Jun 2019, 20:01

Really? On my forums and every one that I frequent the moderators are put in place because they are experts on the forum topics and there to help members.
On my forums and one I'm member of that aren't mine, moderators usually keep "law and order" and are not required to have mastered forum's subject better then all the other world experts.

Moderators have tools to keep "law and order", not tools to know everything about any subject discussed on forums.

Also, I personally choose my moderators on how they can control themselves and others, not subject of discussion. Moderator needs to know how to enforce rules of forum, not answer on forums' topics.
Old 10 Jun 2019, 12:21

good morning ,
the truth that I have the vb for a few years with godaddy and from day 1 I had many problems to install version 5 and looking for a solution did not find valid for its correct installation, and I had no choice but to install vb4 since I had paid for his fame of vb4 (to find out a few months after he died and there would be no support), then I saw that it is true that he has more options vb5 and vb5 too many updates that gave errors or simply does not give an option to the user for its simple installation or update of the same to say an example of prestashop and I think that there is the error of vb5 that does not give simple options like moving from vb4 to vb5 and one has to look for other ways in its customization or programming of the same or paying third parties to achieve treat to make it functional to the needs of one, while I continue to work with vb4 until his death or until I see other software that can be adjusted to the simple and the needs of the buyers of the program.
I think that is the reason why the interest of vb5 has been lost, the vb4 forum is dying.
Thanks for reading and have a nice day.