Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 10 Nov 2002, 16:48
Chris M's Avatar
Chris M Chris M is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Real name: Chris Murphy, BSc
Much



Satan
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10 Nov 2002, 20:00
Chen's Avatar
Chen Chen is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Originally posted by TECK
the hivemail site looks alot to me like vbulletin one.
also, i recognise the vbulletin template touches onto it... my questions is this:
assuming you offer 2mb/user... that's 200mb/100users 2gig/1000users. going in this proportion, the server will cost you a fortune...

at who hivemail aims exacly in their market strategy?
You're talking about the extreme - let's not. The very early version of HiveMail has been running here on vBulletin.org for quite a while (at least 3 months), with about 50 active users. Today, the size of the mail database is 8.8MB. Add to that address book, POP3 accounts, message rules, etc. and we'll just round it up to 9MB. That's roughly 200KB per user... in 3 months. Let's multiply that by 20, we'll have 1000 users and 180MB. Another x5, and we got to 5000 users and 1GB. Now, if you have 5000 active users I wouldn't expect you to run on a $5/month shared server with 15 other sites... you'd need something a bit more powerful than that, and usually that comes with lots and lots of space to spare.

Of course, that's without even comparing the program to other solutions out there. Looking at nobody.net you need to pay $60/month for 500 users only, and if you need more? "Contact Us".

I don't know, it makes sense to me... but then again you'd be surprised if it didn't, right?
__________________
Chen Avinadav
Formerly vBulletin.org Owner and Founder

[email protected]
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10 Nov 2002, 20:10
Chris M's Avatar
Chris M Chris M is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Real name: Chris Murphy, BSc
Very

Anybody expecting thousands of users must be on a server to cope with that amount, so it will easily fit!

Satan
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10 Nov 2002, 20:31
DrkFusion's Avatar
DrkFusion DrkFusion is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Is the newsletter going to be used? I really want to test out this sucker "again"

-Arunan
__________________
ZunePoint.com
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10 Nov 2002, 20:59
TECK's Avatar
TECK TECK is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Real name: Floren Munteanu
Originally posted by FireFly

You're talking about the extreme - let's not. The very early version of HiveMail has been running here on vBulletin.org for quite a while (at least 3 months), with about 50 active users. Today, the size of the mail database is 8.8MB. Add to that address book, POP3 accounts, message rules, etc. and we'll just round it up to 9MB. That's roughly 200KB per user... in 3 months. Let's multiply that by 20, we'll have 1000 users and 180MB. Another x5, and we got to 5000 users and 1GB. Now, if you have 5000 active users I wouldn't expect you to run on a $5/month shared server with 15 other sites... you'd need something a bit more powerful than that, and usually that comes with lots and lots of space to spare.

Of course, that's without even comparing the program to other solutions out there. Looking at nobody.net you need to pay $60/month for 500 users only, and if you need more? "Contact Us".

I don't know, it makes sense to me... but then again you'd be surprised if it didn't, right?
the stats you're presenting chen are satisfactory to understand what type of clientele you're aiming at.
thanks for taking the time to explain.
__________________
Floren Munteanu
Axivo Inc.
Axivo Community - Visit the forums to find out more about us
Why Queued - My personal blog
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10 Nov 2002, 21:59
Chris M's Avatar
Chris M Chris M is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Real name: Chris Murphy, BSc
@Arunan - Newsletter?

Who said anything about a newsletter?

Satan
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10 Nov 2002, 22:05
Erwin's Avatar
Erwin Erwin is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Like I've said in the past, running a web-based email service can get server intensive - so don't do it unless you are prepared.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10 Nov 2002, 22:12
Chris M's Avatar
Chris M Chris M is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Real name: Chris Murphy, BSc
Yeh...

I may only allow those who already can use it to do so

Satan
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11 Nov 2002, 03:44
KelteN KelteN is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
$180...

Too much $ for me

But im sure its well worth it. :\
__________________
:: Rack Blast Web Hosting ::

Last edited by KelteN; 11 Nov 2002 at 03:48.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11 Nov 2002, 19:11
ethank's Avatar
ethank ethank is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
How is the vBulletin integration with this? What are the system requirements?
__________________
join the revolution .- -. -.. / -- .- -.-- -... . / .. - ... / - .. -- . / - --- / .-.. .. ...- .
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 11 Nov 2002, 19:34
NTLDR's Avatar
NTLDR NTLDR is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Real name: Lee Botley, BSc (Hons)
If the commercial one is the same as that used here at at yaxay.com then it integrates 100% with it.
__________________
Lee Botley, BSc (Hons) - vBulletin.org Moderator
http://www.thesistersthree.com/lee/sigs/signature.ts3
The Sisters Three Charmed Discussion Forums

WinterDir .:. vBindex v2.1 for vB2 .:. vBindex v3.0.0 RC5 for vB3
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11 Nov 2002, 21:07
Chen's Avatar
Chen Chen is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Originally posted by NTLDR
If the commercial one is the same as that used here at at yaxay.com then it integrates 100% with it.
It's not quite the same, HiveMail was based on what was used here and at yaXay but it's different now. It's a standalone program that currently has no integration with vBulletin (and, if you think about it, there isn't a lot that can be done to integrate the two).
__________________
Chen Avinadav
Formerly vBulletin.org Owner and Founder

[email protected]
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11 Nov 2002, 21:09
ethank's Avatar
ethank ethank is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Originally posted by FireFly

It's not quite the same, HiveMail was based on what was used here and at yaXay but it's different now. It's a standalone program that currently has no integration with vBulletin (and, if you think about it, there isn't a lot that can be done to integrate the two).
There most certainly is, but not anything that couldn't be done with a few SQL statements.
__________________
join the revolution .- -. -.. / -- .- -.-- -... . / .. - ... / - .. -- . / - --- / .-.. .. ...- .
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11 Nov 2002, 23:14
okrogius okrogius is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Originally posted by FireFly

It's not quite the same, HiveMail was based on what was used here and at yaXay but it's different now. It's a standalone program that currently has no integration with vBulletin (and, if you think about it, there isn't a lot that can be done to integrate the two).
Just a quick question about the backend... How are the users based/managed?

For example, is it that you must create a pop3 account on your server for each user? Or do you just have one subdomain/domain which has a catchall pointing to hivemail, which sorts all the email from this catchall adress? Etc.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12 Nov 2002, 15:13
chrispadfield's Avatar
chrispadfield chrispadfield is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Hivemail is now released! Looks awesome; well done Chen.
__________________
Christopher Padfield
[email protected]

http://www.deskpro.com - Manage your customer support
Now Avaliable
Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:38.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: