Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10 Nov 2002, 16:48

Much

Satan
Old 10 Nov 2002, 20:00

Originally posted by TECK
the hivemail site looks alot to me like vbulletin one.
also, i recognise the vbulletin template touches onto it... my questions is this:
assuming you offer 2mb/user... that's 200mb/100users 2gig/1000users. going in this proportion, the server will cost you a fortune...

at who hivemail aims exacly in their market strategy?
You're talking about the extreme - let's not. The very early version of HiveMail has been running here on vBulletin.org for quite a while (at least 3 months), with about 50 active users. Today, the size of the mail database is 8.8MB. Add to that address book, POP3 accounts, message rules, etc. and we'll just round it up to 9MB. That's roughly 200KB per user... in 3 months. Let's multiply that by 20, we'll have 1000 users and 180MB. Another x5, and we got to 5000 users and 1GB. Now, if you have 5000 active users I wouldn't expect you to run on a $5/month shared server with 15 other sites... you'd need something a bit more powerful than that, and usually that comes with lots and lots of space to spare.

Of course, that's without even comparing the program to other solutions out there. Looking at nobody.net you need to pay $60/month for 500 users only, and if you need more? "Contact Us".

I don't know, it makes sense to me... but then again you'd be surprised if it didn't, right?

[email protected]
Old 10 Nov 2002, 20:10

Very

Anybody expecting thousands of users must be on a server to cope with that amount, so it will easily fit!

Satan
Old 10 Nov 2002, 20:31

Is the newsletter going to be used? I really want to test out this sucker "again"

-Arunan
Old 10 Nov 2002, 20:59

Originally posted by FireFly

You're talking about the extreme - let's not. The very early version of HiveMail has been running here on vBulletin.org for quite a while (at least 3 months), with about 50 active users. Today, the size of the mail database is 8.8MB. Add to that address book, POP3 accounts, message rules, etc. and we'll just round it up to 9MB. That's roughly 200KB per user... in 3 months. Let's multiply that by 20, we'll have 1000 users and 180MB. Another x5, and we got to 5000 users and 1GB. Now, if you have 5000 active users I wouldn't expect you to run on a $5/month shared server with 15 other sites... you'd need something a bit more powerful than that, and usually that comes with lots and lots of space to spare.

Of course, that's without even comparing the program to other solutions out there. Looking at nobody.net you need to pay $60/month for 500 users only, and if you need more? "Contact Us".

I don't know, it makes sense to me... but then again you'd be surprised if it didn't, right?
the stats you're presenting chen are satisfactory to understand what type of clientele you're aiming at.
thanks for taking the time to explain.
Why Queued - My personal blog
Old 10 Nov 2002, 21:59

@Arunan - Newsletter?

Who said anything about a newsletter?

Satan
Old 10 Nov 2002, 22:05

Like I've said in the past, running a web-based email service can get server intensive - so don't do it unless you are prepared.
Old 10 Nov 2002, 22:12

Yeh...

I may only allow those who already can use it to do so

Satan
Old 11 Nov 2002, 03:44

$180...

Too much $ for me

But im sure its well worth it. :\

Last edited by KelteN; 11 Nov 2002 at 03:48.
Old 11 Nov 2002, 19:11

How is the vBulletin integration with this? What are the system requirements?
Old 11 Nov 2002, 19:34

If the commercial one is the same as that used here at at yaxay.com then it integrates 100% with it.

WinterDir .:. vBindex v2.1 for vB2 .:. vBindex v3.0.0 RC5 for vB3
Old 11 Nov 2002, 21:07

Originally posted by NTLDR
If the commercial one is the same as that used here at at yaxay.com then it integrates 100% with it.
It's not quite the same, HiveMail was based on what was used here and at yaXay but it's different now. It's a standalone program that currently has no integration with vBulletin (and, if you think about it, there isn't a lot that can be done to integrate the two).

[email protected]
Old 11 Nov 2002, 21:09

It's not quite the same, HiveMail was based on what was used here and at yaXay but it's different now. It's a standalone program that currently has no integration with vBulletin (and, if you think about it, there isn't a lot that can be done to integrate the two).
There most certainly is, but not anything that couldn't be done with a few SQL statements.
Old 11 Nov 2002, 23:14

Just a quick question about the backend... How are the users based/managed?

For example, is it that you must create a pop3 account on your server for each user? Or do you just have one subdomain/domain which has a catchall pointing to hivemail, which sorts all the email from this catchall adress? Etc.
Old 12 Nov 2002, 15:13

Hivemail is now released! Looks awesome; well done Chen.

http://www.deskpro.com - Manage your customer support
Now Avaliable