Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26 Oct 2003, 05:19

vBulletin 3 Hacks & Quality Assurance at vB.org

With the RC1 release of vBulletin 3 coming closer, the Staff at vBulletin.org wishes to raise the standard of code in Hacks released here. vB3 Hacks will soon be allowed here, and it is of great importance to us that the quality of Hacks goes up a notch. In the past (with vB2-hacks), plenty of hacks have been released here on vBulletin.org containing security loopholes, unnecessary queries, and overall bad code.
To raise the standard of Hacks, we are thinking of implementing a system where experienced, skilled and well-respected vB Hackers are selected to review vB3 Hacks released here at vB.org. This will come in a two-level flavor - a basic review that will be made for every single hack that is released, and a far more in-depth review (upon request).
Especially the second (and far more thorough) level of the system will allow end-users to easily spot the more reliable Hacks on the site, as the second level approval means it is a secure, well-coded, well-optimized, easy to install and overall good quality hack.

This system will hopefully encourage hackers to raise the standards of their coding. Obviously this is voluntary - no one is forced to follow the recommendations of this review team. The basic review that is applied on all Hacks is mostly to make sure that beta-quality hacks don't get posted as full releases, and other such things.

The rating criteria are not set in stone already, we're making this announcement so that we know what YOU all are interested in and find important etc.
We already have some ideas in mind. However, we wish to have input from the members too. In particular, we want to get suggestions for the following:

a) Criteria used to rate
b) What points sytem to use
c) What rating scale to use

Give us as many of your thoughts as possible on this, and we, the Staff, will put our heads together. The more you people can come up with, the better. Who knows, we may just end up with some really nice system that everyone just loves! It all depends on how well you all can think up useful ideas.

We hope that this will improve our community and the quality of hacks released, which will be good for everyone in the end.

Keep in mind that this will be site-wide for vBulletin 3 Hacks only, not vB2-Hacks. This does not mean that you can no longer release vB2 hacks, this only means that the rating system will not apply to them.
Old 26 Oct 2003, 14:17

I think that's a great idea, Erwin.

By doing this, hacks will become even better and with a good team of hackers reviewing them, they will tie in is as well as possible with the standard code. I fully support it.
Old 26 Oct 2003, 14:52

Excellent idea. Having people rate the standard of hacks will greatly improve the quality of future hacks
Old 26 Oct 2003, 15:53

Originally Posted by Erwin
With the RC1 release of vBulletin 3 coming closer, the Staff at vBulletin.org wishes to raise the standard of code in Hacks released here. vB3 Hacks will soon be allowed here, and it is of great importance to us that the quality of Hacks goes up a notch. In the past (with vB2-hacks), plenty of hacks have been released here on vBulletin.org containing security loopholes, unnecessary queries, and overall bad code.
To raise the standard of Hacks, we are thinking of implementing a system where experienced, skilled and well-respected vB Hackers are selected to review vB3 Hacks released here at vB.org. This will come in a two-level flavor - a basic review that will be made for every single hack that is released, and a far more in-depth review (upon request).
Especially the second (and far more thorough) level of the system will allow end-users to easily spot the more reliable Hacks on the site, as the second level approval means it is a secure, well-coded, well-optimized, easy to install and overall good quality hack.

This system will hopefully encourage hackers to raise the standards of their coding. Obviously this is voluntary - no one is forced to follow the recommendations of this review team. The basic review that is applied on all Hacks is mostly to make sure that beta-quality hacks don't get posted as full releases, and other such things.

The rating criteria are not set in stone already, we're making this announcement so that we know what YOU all are interested in and find important etc.
We already have some ideas in mind. However, we wish to have input from the members too. In particular, we want to get suggestions for the following:

a) Criteria used to rate
b) What points sytem to use
c) What rating scale to use

Give us as many of your thoughts as possible on this, and we, the Staff, will put our heads together. The more you people can come up with, the better. Who knows, we may just end up with some really nice system that everyone just loves! It all depends on how well you all can think up useful ideas.

We hope that this will improve our community and the quality of hacks released, which will be good for everyone in the end.

Keep in mind that this will be site-wide for vBulletin 3 Hacks only, not vB2-Hacks. This does not mean that you can no longer release vB2 hacks, this only means that the rating system will not apply to them.
wonderful idea Erwin.....

Guildhead | Torhead | Wowhead
Please do not Private Message, Email or Instant Message me for Support with vBulletin or help with any Modifications to vBulletin.
Old 27 Oct 2003, 02:34

I feel it's a good idea.
I plan on jumping on the VB3 hacks release bandwagon myself. As a upcoming PHP Coder.
Old 27 Oct 2003, 09:30

Come on guys, we want your input on this, not just praise for the idea! Thoughts, Ideas, Comments, Criticism!!! Let's hear it! Anything at all?

Oh, and it wasn't only Erwin's idea, y'know
Old 27 Oct 2003, 09:47

Sounds good, I've been getting my manual out, so I can make my code look nicer

Last edited by PixelFx; 17 Nov 2003 at 17:56.
Old 27 Oct 2003, 13:51

I fully support it. I think a 1 to 10 scale is just fine. I think it would be best if it was right down to the wire in the rating system. Like 7.6 Rating not just 8. Im sure you know what i mean, im a bit tired myself. lol

There should also be an area where not so great coders can post hacks too as well. Of course with this in mind, making sure all users know that this isnt the best coded hack.
Old 27 Oct 2003, 15:03

Just kind of a thought I think would make it easier for peeps who aren't experts in PHP (I'm getting there, but by no means ready to code my own). With the downloads for each hack, maybe have some sort of rating/feedback system, one where you could on a scale of 1 to 10 rate various components of the hack, and to go with that, also have a comments section for each rating, like if you give installation a 7.8, explain why it wasn't a 10 (or why it was a 7.8 for that matter).

That might help identify more problem areas within a certain hack. I've seen a few that are easy to install, but required a lot of self coding to get going and then only to find out down the road it would generate some problems(*cough* Karma 2.0 *cough*).

just my 2 cents though
Old 27 Oct 2003, 15:40

Good idea, although with a rating system, be prepared to see it abused, people hate people (that's human nature) and they will have fights with the rating system, inevitable.

Other than that, sounds good, and partly encouraging to the lesser experienced PHP programmers who will see this as an opportunity not only to have their work evaluated but to also advance and hone their PHP skills.
Old 27 Oct 2003, 16:05

The ratings aren't going to be made public, so that should ease some of the verbal abuse in competitions.
Old 27 Oct 2003, 16:43

Originally Posted by []\[]emesis
I fully support it. I think a 1 to 10 scale is just fine. I think it would be best if it was right down to the wire in the rating system. Like 7.6 Rating not just 8. Im sure you know what i mean, im a bit tired myself. lol

There should also be an area where not so great coders can post hacks too as well. Of course with this in mind, making sure all users know that this isnt the best coded hack.
noone will stop users from releasing hacks, even if they are bad coded.
it should just be visible to users that a hack is problematical/easy/good coded/well optimized or something like.
Old 27 Oct 2003, 17:31

Originally Posted by Velocd
The ratings aren't going to be made public, so that should ease some of the verbal abuse in competitions.
That's ok then.

As for the rating system, I think a % would be suitable, if not, scale it down to x / 10.
Old 27 Oct 2003, 20:01

Originally Posted by N9ne
That's ok then.

As for the rating system, I think a % would be suitable, if not, scale it down to x / 10.
Again, ratings themselves will not be made public, not to the hackmaker nor to the general public of vB.org.

A Hack will either be approved or not approved. The Hackmaker will hear which aspects of Hacking/coding could be improved (whether the hack is approved or not), but (s)he will never hear the exact rating / score.

Why not? People will always get into arguments when they see a score. There will always be people who disagree with a certain rating, then there will always be others going around saying "my hack is better than yours because I got an 8.1 and you got a 7.5!", then you will have people trying to appeal to a decision and get a second opinion and what not. When you only release YES/NO approved to the public, there is very little to make a fuss about. And that's what we want - we don't want to cause a ruckus for each hack, we want things organized, clear, and useful. A big heated discussion isn't useful, nor well-organized. A set of guidelines on where you can improve on, is.

That said, we will also provide an extensive 'document' with help, tips and guidelines on how to make hacks, along with Kier who is writing such a thing already (last I heard).

As stated in the announcement, we want to improve the overall quality of all hacks released on vB.org, and we would most like to be doing that without causing a lot of fights/arguments among the crowds.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 20:42

I'm a pretty basic php & MySQL coder - not up to hacking standards, but ok for installing them.

I'd REALLY appreciate this system, since I like adding hacks to my board, but need to keep it stable & secure.

Great idea!