Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06 Apr 2012, 10:08
MaXimus's Avatar
MaXimus MaXimus is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Thumbs up Just downgraded to vBulletin 3

I had the latest vBulletin 4.11.1 Patch Level 1 before but upon viewing some of the most visited forums in the world like Crackberry, Wilder Security, Anandtech, and even this site I noticed they are all using vbullerin v3 and I liked the interface much more than v4. It is very simple and effecient, and the smilies look more professional rather than cartoony although that is not my reason to switch obviously since you can change those manually but just saying...

A few questions:

1) Any idea why these large forums still stick to v3 rather than upgrade to v4?

2) Am I missing on any security features by downgrading to v3? I did install the latest 3.8.7 .... does vBulletin continuously release updates for the older v3 ?

3) Am I the only one who sees v3 better than v4 in terms of UI and speed?
__________________
MaxGeek Forum - #1 Site for PC supports and tweaking guides!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06 Apr 2012, 10:19
New Joe's Avatar
New Joe New Joe is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
1) Maybe they are too heavily modded up with modifications which work just how they want them and don't want to go through the pain of up dating them or finding out they can't get what they need.

2) I think the latest 3.8.x is as secure as anything else

3) i thought the same say 2 years back, but now I love the look of vb4 and find vb3 and outdated look., however I found the vb3 much faster to load and get around.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06 Apr 2012, 10:24
MaXimus's Avatar
MaXimus MaXimus is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Originally Posted by New Joe View Post
1) Maybe they are too heavily modded up with modifications which work just how they want them and don't want to go through the pain of up dating them or finding out they can't get what they need.

2) I think the latest 3.8.x is as secure as anything else

3) i thought the same say 2 years back, but now I love the look of vb4 and find vb3 and outdated look., however I found the vb3 much faster to load and get around.
thank you for your detailed answers.

And yes I am liking the increased speed pages load snappier and a few things like...when you highlight some text then click on the URL button to add a link....that used to take like a second or two with vB4 but not it happens instantly!

I also like how you can select the font color size, font type and smilies from a drop down list, much more compact and usable design...

just my 2 cents

Just click on the link in my sig and browse around a little bit and youll see the speed

I am slowly restoring the threads as the database conversion from v4 to v3 didn't work out so I ended up creating a whole new database.

didn't have any members anyway since my forums are new
__________________
MaxGeek Forum - #1 Site for PC supports and tweaking guides!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06 Apr 2012, 11:17
goxy63 goxy63 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
I do love vb4 but its just pain in a but, CMS is far from functional and good option which we have with vb4, its not displayed in all browsers in same way, way too many bugs and looks like vb development team is thinking just about $....

Just don't like it more as I did when I bought my licence with vb3, probably I will never leave VB but before I was never thinking about alternative to VB, now I do think about that

Using VB4 now, would never downgrade from vb4 to vb3, rather would think of some free software than that...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06 Apr 2012, 12:20
MaXimus's Avatar
MaXimus MaXimus is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Originally Posted by goxy63 View Post
Using VB4 now, would never downgrade from vb4 to vb3, rather would think of some free software than that...
Ohh trust me.. I've tried that first...had nightmares with phpBB3....maybe other alternatives are better I don't know...

Read this bro: Why I ditched phpBB3 and upgraded to vBulletin!
__________________
MaxGeek Forum - #1 Site for PC supports and tweaking guides!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06 Apr 2012, 13:48
Adam H Adam H is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Real name: Adam
I wouldnt downgrade from 4 to 3 , If i wanted the look and feel of VB3 i would have just made a theme to look exactly like VB3. Your a braver man than me.

UI can be replicated , Speed will increase with a more light weight theme which doesnt have all the CSS3 styling attached, Not only that but VB4 can be made fast enough so you wouldnt notice the difference .

VB4 offers better functionality, better on page SEO and all the bloat can be removed.
__________________
:: Rivmedia - Small Business services including Web design, Wordpress, vbulletin and Xenforo
:: Mammoth Host - UK Small Business Premium Hosting - 24 hour R1 Soft Off site Backup with every plan.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06 Apr 2012, 14:10
MaXimus's Avatar
MaXimus MaXimus is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Question

Originally Posted by Adam H View Post
I wouldnt downgrade from 4 to 3 , If i wanted the look and feel of VB3 i would have just made a theme to look exactly like VB3. Your a braver man than me.

UI can be replicated , Speed will increase with a more light weight theme which doesnt have all the CSS3 styling attached, Not only that but VB4 can be made fast enough so you wouldnt notice the difference .

VB4 offers better functionality, better on page SEO and all the bloat can be removed.
So why is this site, notebook review forums, wilder security forums, crackberry forums, and many others, which have thousands of users still use v3? Just because they dont want to go through the headaches of finding alternatives to their plugins/mods?

I feel it is a bit more than that
__________________
MaxGeek Forum - #1 Site for PC supports and tweaking guides!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06 Apr 2012, 14:27
Adam H Adam H is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Real name: Adam
Originally Posted by berryracer View Post
So why is this site, notebook review forums, wilder security forums, crackberry forums, and many others, which have thousands of users still use v3? Just because they dont want to go through the headaches of finding alternatives to their plugins/mods?

I feel it is a bit more than that
Large sites generally dont upgrade unless they need too, why does everyone feel that because there is a new version every site has to upgrade. Large forum owners or in many cases large company forums do have so many custom modification it wouldnt be cost effective to upgrade , expense wise or time wise.

They also have the resources to maintain, develop and secure highly customised board so they rarely have any need for external support or support from such people as vbulletin them selves.

There isnt a massive conspiracy as to why some forums dont upgrade, VB4 is a better system.

It will be a case with many people though, why fix something that isnt broken.

I wasnt aware that your board was brand new when you said you downgraded however which is why i thought it was suicide waiting to happen, but still starting a new board i would want to remain in the loop for as long as possible rather than jumping back on a script which doesnt have the support it once did.
__________________
:: Rivmedia - Small Business services including Web design, Wordpress, vbulletin and Xenforo
:: Mammoth Host - UK Small Business Premium Hosting - 24 hour R1 Soft Off site Backup with every plan.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06 Apr 2012, 15:44
MaXimus's Avatar
MaXimus MaXimus is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Originally Posted by Adam H View Post
I wasnt aware that your board was brand new when you said you downgraded however which is why i thought it was suicide waiting to happen, but still starting a new board i would want to remain in the loop for as long as possible rather than jumping back on a script which doesnt have the support it once did.
Well I wasn't very happy when I contacted support via the ticket system to help me with converting my database using IMPEX from vB4 to vb3 because no matter what I did in the config file of IMPEX it couldn't connect to my vb4 database. I triple checked the settings and Im sure it was something simple to fix but they wouldn't help me telling me I have exceeded the 30 day limit of free tech support

Very disappointing from a company that charged me an arm and a leg for a forums license
__________________
MaxGeek Forum - #1 Site for PC supports and tweaking guides!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06 Apr 2012, 16:04
Brandon Sheley's Avatar
Brandon Sheley Brandon Sheley is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Real name: Brandon
The "why hasn't this site updated" needs to be asked to those forum owners.
There are 1000's of reasons why large sites wouldn't upgrade, and many have nothing to do with the framework.
__________________

Email me for website help: brandon[at]sheley[dot]org
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06 Apr 2012, 17:37
Lynne's Avatar
Lynne Lynne is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Real name: Lynne
vB Support will not help you to use Impex to upgrade, or downgrade, your support. Using Impex in that way is not supported. Period.

I know I haven't upgraded my site because it is heavily modified. I'd love to upgrade to the Suite, but I just don't have the time to go and upgrade my custom tracker code.
__________________
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
I will NOT help via PM (you will be directed to post in the forums for help.)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06 Apr 2012, 17:42
rhody401's Avatar
rhody401 rhody401 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Personally, I think 3.x looks very dated. It only fills half of my screen, for example. It's back from the 1024x768 era, and looks like some other (free) products.

Sites probably haven't updated because "if its not broke, don't fix it" 3.x was a stable product, back in its peak time, several years ago. They may also have a lot of customizations, don't want to pay for the current version, or perhaps the staff that installed it for them is no longer part of the picture (they may lack the technical resources or courage to do it).

I hope 3.x is sent off into the sunset soon, so they can focus more on future products 4.2 and 5.0. It seems like many developers have already done so.

I agree with some other posts that some new and innovative ideas/leadership are needed, to make the product stay at the cutting edge. They seem to be treading water at the moment, but the 4.x product is rock solid reliable and does the job well.

Keep up the great work!

Rhody

PS: vbulletin.org should probably be updated, to set the example
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09 Apr 2012, 15:54
Pebbled Pebbled is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
berryracer you have posted some very interesting questions, in particular the comment regarding the security aspects of 3.8.7 versus 4.XX

I notice that bulletin.org is showing 3.6.12 on their pages.

My question regarding upgrading from an earlier version of vBulletin, namely 3.6.8 is do I have to upgrade all the way through to 4.XX or can I stop at 3.8.7 with the upgrade process to preserve the original templates.

I've added things over the years and the more I look at what is involved the more I shy away from doing anything!

So ignoring the improvements to user interface in vB4, can vB3 be made as secure without all the major upheaval of moving from vB3 to vB4?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09 Apr 2012, 16:24
Adam H Adam H is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Real name: Adam
Originally Posted by Pebbled View Post
berryracer you have posted some very interesting questions, in particular the comment regarding the security aspects of 3.8.7 versus 4.XX

I notice that bulletin.org is showing 3.6.12 on their pages.

My question regarding upgrading from an earlier version of vBulletin, namely 3.6.8 is do I have to upgrade all the way through to 4.XX or can I stop at 3.8.7 with the upgrade process to preserve the original templates.

I've added things over the years and the more I look at what is involved the more I shy away from doing anything!

So ignoring the improvements to user interface in vB4, can vB3 be made as secure without all the major upheaval of moving from vB3 to vB4?
Yes you can, there is two separate packages in your vbulletin members account , one for the latest version of vb3 and the other VB4, just download the one you want.

There will still be templates that will need editing from 3.6 - 3.8 but it will retain structure and you should be able to upgrade with out much of an issue.

There is also security patches for older versions to make them just as secure, security is only as strong as the latest patches and of course your host.
__________________
:: Rivmedia - Small Business services including Web design, Wordpress, vbulletin and Xenforo
:: Mammoth Host - UK Small Business Premium Hosting - 24 hour R1 Soft Off site Backup with every plan.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09 Apr 2012, 17:37
MaXimus's Avatar
MaXimus MaXimus is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Originally Posted by Pebbled View Post
berryracer you have posted some very interesting questions, in particular the comment regarding the security aspects of 3.8.7 versus 4.XX

I notice that bulletin.org is showing 3.6.12 on their pages.

My question regarding upgrading from an earlier version of vBulletin, namely 3.6.8 is do I have to upgrade all the way through to 4.XX or can I stop at 3.8.7 with the upgrade process to preserve the original templates.

I've added things over the years and the more I look at what is involved the more I shy away from doing anything!

So ignoring the improvements to user interface in vB4, can vB3 be made as secure without all the major upheaval of moving from vB3 to vB4?

It's not like vb3 will leave you less secure.

As long as you are running the latest version of vb3

I am running the latest vBulletin v3.8.7 which has all the security patches

So if you want vb4, install 4.11.1 Patch level 1. If you want vb3, install v3.8.7. as simple as that
__________________
MaxGeek Forum - #1 Site for PC supports and tweaking guides!
Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:27.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: