Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09 Feb 2006, 08:10

If you rewrite the code yourself then you do not have to ask for permission from the original author. However it's always preferred that you ask the author, especially if their hack inspired you to write your own.

I for one have allowed anyone that asks to port/translate anything I have released over the years. I know most all off my releases are small things, but I'm always happy to pass the project on to someone that wants to take it over.

To be honest once I release something I consider it done unless there is a large bug in it. I don't spend too much time on any one thing...it's the problem that has caused me to end many projects before they were finished.
Old 09 Feb 2006, 12:15

Nice :d :d :d :d
Old 09 Feb 2006, 22:11

Originally Posted by Brad
If you rewrite the code yourself then you do not have to ask for permission from the original author. However it's always preferred that you ask the author, especially if their hack inspired you to write your own.

I for one have allowed anyone that asks to port/translate anything I have released over the years. I know most all off my releases are small things, but I'm always happy to pass the project on to someone that wants to take it over.

To be honest once I release something I consider it done unless there is a large bug in it. I don't spend too much time on any one thing...it's the problem that has caused me to end many projects before they were finished.
Fair enough. However the 'post in the origonal hack thread to get it ported' rules is a hinderance in that case, because no one will port other people's stuff in most cases.
Old 09 Feb 2006, 23:12

Originally Posted by Borgs8472
Fair enough. However the 'post in the origonal hack thread to get it ported' rules is a hinderance in that case, because no one will port other people's stuff in most cases.
That is to make the author aware that people want it ported to 3.5

Chris
Old 13 Feb 2006, 01:31

^ ^
yes, but sometimes the author's left the forum.

By the way, this thread is influenced by the 'public display of reputation' and 'reputation tracker' mods I heavily used, in both cases the coders were AWOL and I got them done on paid request.

There's a public 'public display of affection' hack out finally now, but not the other one, asking a non existant coder to port their hack is a very bureucratic and ineffective way of getting a port IMO.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 02:13

Om3R,

You are currently showing up as unlicensed. To be able to download hacks and/or receive support here at vBulletin.org, we ask you to please click here (vB-germany users click here) and enter your email address, to show us that you are licensed.

You will need to use your customer number and password (which will be in the email you got when you paid for your license) to access that page. Please note that your email is case sensitive. The update of your account may take up to one hour.

Thank you.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 10:35

to tell the truth I think it's alot easyer to pm the author and gety there permission because they are normally fine with some one porting a hack over.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 11:34

Again, that assumes the Author is still around and visiting vb.org - in some cases they have not been here for months (or more).

Cable Forum
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 21:55

in that case PM the author stating what your doing.. post it, if then he says no etc. request a mod to remove it..
Old 13 Feb 2006, 23:27

^ ^
What If all I want to do is make a modifications request thread to gather support? Under the current system I shouldn't, I should post in the origonal hack thread...
Old 27 Feb 2006, 21:43

Originally Posted by tehste
I cant believe the level of ignorance towards intellectual property sometimes. Maybe you haven't considered the ethics of it or you choose to ignore them. Even if the author had vanished for 6 months it is wrong to take their code. Today I had giologist pm me and basicly say if I didn't port my gift addon for ushop he would "get it ported". I wasn't going to say anything but then I saw this thread and a few other requests by people to "port" hacks made by other people.

If this was open source it would be ok. But vb.org isn't open source.
Perhaps lack of communication goes a long way?

I PMed you saying that on behalf of Revan, he said that he will recode it and release it. Recode it meaning code it himself, not using your codes at all. If you would like me to post the conversation just let me know. However, your attempt at slander was not a good one at all due to the fact that not once did Revan or I say that we were going to port your hack using your code and release it. And if i or Revan decide to port your hack as appose to release our own version, it will only be for personal use, which is 100% legal.

Thank you,
Giovanni Martinez

ModernvB.com - vBulletin Mods & Services - ModernvB.com vBulletin 3 Mods - ModernvB.com vBulletin 4 Mods - Hire ModernvB
Full-Time vB Development - If you can think it, we can build it.