Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 16 Feb 2014, 16:06

What do you think about Vbulletin vs Xenforo?

I'm using Vbulletin for my forum and I feed good with it, I have got good experience with Vb since more last years so it's friendly with me, otherwise I also using a forum base on xenforo but honestly it didn't have more things that I need for a forum. I think Xenforo needs time to get better.

For me, Vbulletin Cms is useful for me and people to start a forum.

how about you? what is your thought on VB and XF ?
Old 16 Feb 2014, 16:18

Ohhh boy, here we go again.

I would suggest keeping this thread clean and professional, or it will most likely be closed like the other threads of this sort had to be.
You can get access to my 180 mods for vB 3.6 - 4.x at The Admin Zone as well as the professional support you are used to. New vBulletin Spider Definitions, vBulletin Spiders List Hits 1000 Spiders! ​ OzzModz down. Site has had a data breach, checking how the intrusion happened. Change your PW if you use the same one on my site and others.
Old 16 Feb 2014, 22:11

^^ you should close it !! using the search will find the drama..
Old 16 Feb 2014, 23:15

Why close such topics =) I am liking Vb 4.x over Xenforo. Xenforo is missing so many of VB default functions, and it is no where near it. It just gets empty hypes. Of course new products people tend to receive some hype for a while until it dies out, and that is what it is now. Xenforo would need at least 2 years min to see what it is all about and if they will take a new direction into developing new features for it to out match other forum software or will it just be yet another forum software.

But lately, i want to ditch both for a new project :d i was actually considering Xenforo for that new project, last year but i found what has great potential over both VB and Xenforo who don't want to give us the new social features and we always see the same old forum features.

That software is an open source forum, so it is free to download and test ---> http://www.discourse.org/ it has great potentials once it is stabilized and reaches gold status. They are still in version .98 i think, their gold version is version 1.0 and until they reach version 3.0 many things will be added to it. It has been 1 year in development.

It is using Ruby on Rails but that shouldn't be a problem, only hosting if you are considering it, but coming out of vb, i think many can run it on a vps, shared hosting would be a challenge due its requirement.
Old 16 Feb 2014, 23:45

I am involved with several long term forums that run vbulletin 4.2.2 and we love the features and functionality. It would be very hard to find a product with as many well developed plug-ins/mods.

Because 4.2 development seems to be on hold/finished, and 5.0 isn't even close to being ready for prime time, and some in customer service lately are rather abrupt - it hasn't exactly set a level of confidence in the future of the product. I think the pricing model of only getting paid for new major version numbers, versus a small yearly fee, encourages a rushed development schedule. (and a desire to abandon old versions, so people will re-fill the kitty and float the company)

We did purchase Xenforo licenses last year - as a backup plan. (to be tested and ready if things don't work out here. We have done mock conversions, tested add-ons, etc.) But we have not pulled the plug on our VB installs.

I sincerely hope that things start to look better at VB, because this is a fine product that I would like to see have continued success. VB needs much stronger leadership, customer service, and goals, in my opinion. This is where it could win over new, and existing, customers.

These are my own personal impressions/opinion, and I hope this stays polite/friendly.

Rhody
Old 16 Feb 2014, 23:54

In my honest (and personal mind you) opinion...

vB4 > Xenforo
vB5 < Xenforo
vB3 < OR > OR = vB4 (it's a Tomatoe, TomatO, Potatoe, PotatO type of deal)
vB4 > vB5

That is based on the current versions of each, the most recent. I do expect to see vB5 improve vastly over time, the only thing it can do is improve unless they spend more time and resources into other ventures such as the cloud. I do not like the idea of the cloud for experienced forum owners but for those new to vBulletin it should make things super easy for them .

Search - Use the search feature to find similar issues/answers.
Information - Include screenshots, copy/pasted error codes, url etc.
Fixed - Please return to your thread/post and let us know how it was fixed!
Thanks - For participating! Click the "Like" on a post if someone helped you!

Last edited by TheLastSuperman; 17 Feb 2014 at 00:43.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 00:05

I completely agree. VB3 is looking very dated, VB4 not too far behind. But it's still the best choice, IMO.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 03:43

Originally Posted by ozzy47 View Post
Ohhh boy, here we go again.

I would suggest keeping this thread clean and professional, or it will most likely be closed like the other threads of this sort had to be.
Why you want to close thread, I think it's good and useful for someone want to know everybody's opinion on advantages/disadvantages of Vb and XF. I'm too.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 03:51

I did not say I wanted it closed, please re-read what you quoted.
You can get access to my 180 mods for vB 3.6 - 4.x at The Admin Zone as well as the professional support you are used to. New vBulletin Spider Definitions, vBulletin Spiders List Hits 1000 Spiders! ​ OzzModz down. Site has had a data breach, checking how the intrusion happened. Change your PW if you use the same one on my site and others.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 04:11

vBulletin does have more features out of the box than XenForo, and you can make both of them to fit your needs if you put the time in. However, from what I've seen in vBulletin 5, I would rather go with XF as 5 isn't what I was expecting.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 04:56

Originally Posted by ozzy47 View Post
I did not say I wanted it closed, please re-read what you quoted.
I think so but still add a reply to your post
Old 17 Feb 2014, 09:59

I only use vbulletin for my site, i want to all sites use source from vbulletin, i like vbulletin
Old 17 Feb 2014, 10:29

My two cents (Canadian funds) is the editor is kind of funky.

A friend asked me to take a look at an issue he was having on his board. After logging into the admin panel I was dumbfounded that it did not resemble what I thought it would (considering it developed by former VB people) I do not know why, but I expected pretty much the same as VB, boy was I wrong.

I guess it is like any software, once you learn how it works it's not so hard going. I'm still trying to learn how to do more advanced things in Vbulletin, and the one thing I really like about this place is the people.

There are a lot of people here who really pitch in to help others, and I am sure it is the same at Xenforo, but you know what they say about us old guys, change is difficult.
Old 19 Feb 2014, 02:49

Originally Posted by Thangvip9x View Post
I only use vbulletin for my site, i want to all sites use source from vbulletin, i like vbulletin
This is only a personal opinion and didn't show reasons why choose vbulletin ? : D
Old 19 Feb 2014, 13:25

Personal opinion is a perfectly valid reason for what software you choose.

Cable Forum
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Closed Thread