Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 18 Sep 2012, 10:50
AK47- AK47- is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Thumbs down vb5 mobile friendly?

I don't think vb5 isn't very mobile friendly compared to vb4. Discuss

Last edited by AK47-; 18 Sep 2012 at 15:39.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 18 Sep 2012, 14:16
BirdOPrey5's Avatar
BirdOPrey5 BirdOPrey5 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Real name: Joe D.
I'm not sure how mobile friendly the beta is but the goal I believe is for a single style that is good on both mobile and non-mobile devices.
__________________
-Joe
Former vb.org Moderator. Retired.

@BirdOPrey5 | All Things BOP5 | Joe's Ultimate Off Topic
Note - I no longer making new VB mods, sorry.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 18 Sep 2012, 14:53
vijayninel's Avatar
vijayninel vijayninel is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Real name: Vijay
Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
I'm not sure how mobile friendly the beta is but the goal I believe is for a single style that is good on both mobile and non-mobile devices.
Goodness gracious me ... you mean something like Windows 8? Then it will be a fiasco. They should release separate styles for mobiles and desktops. They cant be the same for both as the screen sizes are very different.

Seems like we will be stuck Tapatalk and Forum Runner which cause numerous problems with modifications.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 18 Sep 2012, 15:01
TNCclubman's Avatar
TNCclubman TNCclubman is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
this town needs an enema.

I cant believe any competent leadership in a software company would say that you should have 1 style for both desktops and mobile. At the very least, there should be an html5 app that kicks in if you visit our websites via a mobile device. This should be generated from our vbulletin software.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 18 Sep 2012, 21:23
Hornstar's Avatar
Hornstar Hornstar is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Real name: Matt
My iPhone just crashes when I visit the vb5 demo.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18 Sep 2012, 21:46
Ramsesx's Avatar
Ramsesx Ramsesx is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southern Germany
It's far from usable at all on any site, so who cares if it's not mobile friendly at the moment?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18 Sep 2012, 23:34
BSMedia BSMedia is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Guys chill, 1 style is possible for both the desktop and mobile versions.

I'd like to introduce everyone to what they call responsive design. It's the latest and greatest craze where the design is dependent upon a number of factors, most importantly screen resolution.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 19 Sep 2012, 08:33
liamwli liamwli is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Originally Posted by Hornstar View Post
My iPhone just crashes when I visit the vb5 demo.
Runs fine on my android

I don't know though - as long as it works, fine!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 19 Sep 2012, 21:13
AK47- AK47- is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Originally Posted by Ramsesx View Post
It's far from usable at all on any site, so who cares if it's not mobile friendly at the moment?
I wonder what was going through there minds when they released vb5 lol but fair point
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 19 Sep 2012, 22:26
tbworld tbworld is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
In today's software modeling we write for mobile as the first thought. vBulletins developers have done the same. I think in the long run it will work pretty slick with mobile. I am not saying this will be anytime soon -- how would I know -- but the forethought is in the code. I believe they are on the right track in their coding: Releasing it as a product without finished features... well, I have other thoughts there.

I highly appreciate they are releasing it as a beta and I do not mind paying for development costs, if I get inside info, but their sales model is all wrong in my opinion. It is not about the product cost, but what they are doing for their current customers.

Anyway, just another comment for what it is worth!

Last edited by tbworld; 19 Sep 2012 at 22:35.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 29 Sep 2012, 03:07
mahz mahz is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Originally Posted by TNCclubman View Post
this town needs an enema.

I cant believe any competent leadership in a software company would say that you should have 1 style for both desktops and mobile. At the very least, there should be an html5 app that kicks in if you visit our websites via a mobile device. This should be generated from our vbulletin software.
I haven't looked into how vB5 is implementing it, but it doesn't need to be all doom and gloom.

For example, CSS media queries are a popular implementation for mobile support in a single style:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/.../Media_queries
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 30 Sep 2012, 19:51
CoZmicShReddeR's Avatar
CoZmicShReddeR CoZmicShReddeR is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Real name: Martin Weltchek
I would say without a doubt they should make the mobile style separate or do something a bit more amazing then the later version... I know it would probably mean a whole other charge for making it separate but if its done right I would pay a little extra for a sweet mobile styling...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01 Oct 2012, 19:29
RealmofDemons RealmofDemons is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Originally Posted by CoZmicShReddeR View Post
I would say without a doubt they should make the mobile style separate or do something a bit more amazing then the later version... I know it would probably mean a whole other charge for making it separate but if its done right I would pay a little extra for a sweet mobile styling...
^ THIS

installed it, been playing around with it. I believe I will be going back to 4.2
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08 Oct 2012, 17:16
Wayne Luke's Avatar
Wayne Luke Wayne Luke is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Real name: Wayne
Originally Posted by AK47- View Post
I don't think vb5 isn't very mobile friendly compared to vb4. Discuss
What are the problems you're having with the Responsive Web Design in vBulletin 5?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsive_web_design
__________________
Wayne Luke
Get started with your own social network. Purchase and download vBulletin today.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:21.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: