Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Move smilies to below text area (and optionally add to Quick Reply) Details »
Move smilies to below text area (and optionally add to Quick Reply)
Developer Last Online: Mar 2019 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 4.0.8 Rating: (26 votes - 4.73 average) Installs: 278
Released: 06 Dec 2009 Last Update: 21 Nov 2010 Downloads: 1446
Not Supported Uses Plugins Template Edits Auto-Template  

NOTE: This will break your 4.1.4 Quick Reply if you have smilies enabled there unless you do the edit below.

This moves the smilie box to below the text area when posting within threads, blogs, groups, PMs, and cms when using the Advanced Editor (new item or advanced reply). This is done using just CSS. The plugin simply appends the new CSS file to the editor.css file link in the page. It can also make the smiliebox show on the showthread page below the text box in Quick Reply if you do the Optional Edit below.

Attachment 107256

This mod is supported for the default style only as trying to debug other's site CSS issues is not easy.

This has been tested in firefox, Safari and IE7.

Version History:
1.0 2009-12-06: initial release by Lynne at vbulletin.org (pre 4.0.1)
1.1 2010-01-13: fixed issues with 4.0.1; made it move the smilies to the bottom for sending a new PM ('blog'), and for posting a New Discussion ('group') (4.0.1)
1.2 2010-01-23: fixed it to work if you store your css in the filesystem (4.0.1)
1.3 2010-05-05: added fields so it will work with vbcms and editpost (4.0.1)
1.4 2010-10-23: Modified CSS to use new stylevars - you do NOT need to upgrade to this version if your CSS is working just fine for you! (4.0.8 - see note below for 4.1PL1)

To install:

1. Import product-lynne_smilies_below.xml

2. Go to Settings > Options > Message Posting Interface Options > Put smilie box below textarea > Yes

3. Go to Settings > Options > Message Posting Interface Options and make sure you set these two settings:
Smiliebox Total Smilies - this is the total number of smilies you want to show
Smiliebox Rows (smilies below textarea) - this is the number of rows of smilies you would like

NOTE: The Total Smilies must be evenly divisible by the Rows, ie. you can't set the Total to 17 and have 2 Rows as that won't work.

4. OPTIONAL - If you also want the smiliebox to show on the showthread page under the Quick Reply, then you must do the following:
a. Go to Settings > Options > Message Posting Interface Options > Add smiliebox below Quick Reply on showthread page > Yes (Note that the above options, Put smilie box below textarea must also be set to Yes)
b. Make the following template edit in the template "showthread_quickreply".
Find the following:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Add in the following line among the bottom divs (for 4.0.8):

OR
Add in the following line among the bottom divs (for 4.1.0 PL1):

OR in 4.1.10 forward, find this code in the SHOWTHREAD template:

Add directly below there:

To get this to work with 4.1.4 (and later) Quick Reply:
Edit the plugin "Add smilies to Quick Reply also" and remove, or comment out, the line:

To uninstall:

1. Uninstall "Move smilies below textarea"
2. If you added the smiliebox to the showthread.php page in the Quick Reply, then remove the template edit done above.

This will not work for pre-beta 5 vB4.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	lynne_smilies_below.png
Views:	4355
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	107256  

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Find, Optionally Email and Optionally Delete Inactive Members amykhar vBulletin 2.x Beta Releases 94 23 Apr 2008 02:15

Old 27 Dec 2009, 00:04

You will have to uninstall this mod and get the smilie issue fixed first. This is not a problem with this mod since this mod is only CSS. You should go post on vb.com for help with your smilie issue.

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
I will NOT help via PM (you will be directed to post in the forums for help.)
Old 27 Dec 2009, 08:05

Smilies in quick reply for vb 4 gold?
Old 27 Dec 2009, 08:31

Originally Posted by I.am View Post
you can see this link http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=231212
Old 27 Dec 2009, 15:58

Originally Posted by I.am View Post
There are directions in the first post on how to add smilies to your quick reply.

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
Old 27 Dec 2009, 16:47

Thanks for the mod. Is it possible for the smilies to be in multiple rows, instead of a single row? We have a lot of smilies in use, and most of them are not visible .
Old 27 Dec 2009, 18:19

Originally Posted by bongwater View Post
Thanks for the mod. Is it possible for the smilies to be in multiple rows, instead of a single row? We have a lot of smilies in use, and most of them are not visible .
I already answered that question here - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showp...57&postcount=6

W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
Old 28 Dec 2009, 04:52

Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
There are directions in the first post on how to add smilies to your quick reply.
I have 2 categories of smilies.

Standard, meaning thats what is shown once you go advanced to the right of the text box.

If you click more you get the rest of the smiles, those are the ones showing up under the txt box now.

Would it be possible to have the regular (more often used) smilies to be posted under the quick reply box, w/o having them below the go advanced page txt box?

Thanks

Last edited by movslow; 02 Jan 2010 at 01:34.
Old 28 Dec 2009, 04:58

The smilies that show up on that page should be the ones that are listed first in your smilie manager - the first smilies in the first category. If you want other smilies, then you need to order them differently.

W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
Old 30 Dec 2009, 13:44

this is great a mod, i like it for quick reaply =)
Old 30 Dec 2009, 22:12

You would have to increase the height (by 2, if for 2 rows) and decrease the width (by 2, if for 2 rows) for the ".editor_smiliebox ul.smiliebox" I've never tried that, but it should work.

Originally Posted by hIBEES View Post
Thanks, looks way better now, now to figure out how to make the smilies bigger, seems not to show the correct size but that's nothing to do with your add-on
Could you please give more detail on making more rows please as iv managed to get the smilies to show under without them being cut in half so i can see the full smilie now i just want more rows and iv tried to change numbers by 2 up and 2 down but i just cant get it right i dont understand what numbers to actualy change, just some spercifics would be good please.

Thanks.
Old 30 Dec 2009, 22:23

*installed* Thank you Lynn!
Old 30 Dec 2009, 23:15

Originally Posted by carleboy View Post
Could you please give more detail on making more rows please as iv managed to get the smilies to show under without them being cut in half so i can see the full smilie now i just want more rows and iv tried to change numbers by 2 up and 2 down but i just cant get it right i dont understand what numbers to actualy change, just some spercifics would be good please.

Thanks.
Post exactly what you have done, an image of what it did, and we can see what is wrong. A link to see this may also be helpful.

W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
Old 30 Dec 2009, 23:55

Post exactly what you have done, an image of what it did, and we can see what is wrong. A link to see this may also be helpful.

I tryed changing the 2 to 4 and 2 to 0 as your post suggested but it done nothing i was just hoping you could explain what one of the numbers to add 2 on too and what one to take it way from, My forum is closed at the moment while i put it all together so cant show you directly at the moment but an explination of what numbers to change to add rows of smilies would really help.

Thanks.
Old 31 Dec 2009, 00:20

I guess I don't understand because I posted the code where I already changed it for the original user. You just want what I changed highlighted?

original code in the mod:

code I posted in post 6 to create 2 rows of smilies:

Code in red is what I changed.

W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
Old 31 Dec 2009, 00:35

smiles on quick reply box doesnt show