The pay is too low 20 45.45%
The requests are too complex 7 15.91%
The requests are not specific enough 19 43.18%
I would never charge for my work 4 9.09%
Other -- please explain in thread 9 20.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 Aug 2005, 19:12

Coders Response to Service Requests

I am curious as to the reason(s) why some Coders do not respond to Service Requests.

Last edited by spence2; 30 Aug 2005 at 19:20.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 19:36

Well, there are many reasons for sometimes coders not responding, : Too busy, dont know how to do it, dont trust the person asking for it to be done, ect..many reasons

~Curt
Just wanna ask a vB related question contact me.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 19:36

Usually stacked with work already, think the pay is too low, or feel requestee doesn't seem like the type of person I'd want to do business with.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 19:38

I very rarely do custom work, mostly because I don't have the time (or the need).

Cable Forum
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 20:17

I respond to alot of requests - However the majority of requests posted provide next to no details of what they actually need done. If you watch you'll see the requests from people that thoroughly document their posts get picked up really quickly. The ones that are just little one liner "I need a custom hack." posts are usually bumped 4-5 times and have been left unfilled for months. Also, from a personal standpoint, I try to avoid anything that is written sloppily or in poor english - Especially when it's a design request as most design requests require alot of detailed communication.
Old 31 Aug 2005, 03:18
Guest190829

I just simply don't have the time right now, when I'm free I try to answer service requests though.
Old 31 Aug 2005, 04:10

right now i've lost the desire to do any service requests/vb coding being half way between 3.0 and 3.5. i'll help with the basics but beyond that too much work
Old 31 Aug 2005, 04:15

I only do custom work for my current clients I've done work for in the past, its hard to trust people online.
Old 31 Aug 2005, 05:28

im too busy with personal things and personal projects. also the pay is way too low on this ppl, want things installed for $5 or want a hack that should cost $75 at least for $20. these are the people who have no conception of coding and most likely 0 to none web coding knowledge. sometimes i regret vbulletin so easy to use:P
Old 31 Aug 2005, 12:16

Originally Posted by AN-net
im too busy with personal things and personal projects. also the pay is way too low on this ppl, want things installed for $5 or want a hack that should cost $75 at least for $20. these are the people who have no conception of coding and most likely 0 to none web coding knowledge. sometimes i regret vbulletin so easy to use:P
Indeed - I selected I'm too busy, The pay is too low and The requests are not specific enough as my reasons for not responding...

Like AN-net, you can tell who and who not to help by their grammar as one thing, and the amount of posts they have here - People who can't string a sentence together and have less than 50 posts I won't even stop to try and understand their post, unless I know them

Satan
Old 31 Aug 2005, 12:21

I'm pretty much of an idiot so I don't have to worry about anyone coming to me for anything.
Old 31 Aug 2005, 12:29

Originally Posted by Boofo
I'm pretty much of an idiot so I don't have to worry about anyone coming to me for anything.
Quoted for future laughing

And you're not an idiot... Just, er, slow

Satan
Old 31 Aug 2005, 14:41

Originally Posted by Boofo
everyone is like "i need to hire someone to code but no one is answering my request. how about boofo?*laughing*hes old. yeah really old, can he even code? i think he released a few things, lets offer $10 and maybe someone will do it."
Old 31 Aug 2005, 16:14

Originally Posted by hellsatan
Indeed - I selected I'm too busy, The pay is too low and The requests are not specific enough as my reasons for not responding...

Like AN-net, you can tell who and who not to help by their grammar as one thing, and the amount of posts they have here - People who can't string a sentence together and have less than 50 posts I won't even stop to try and understand their post, unless I know them
Ditto to the whole thing.

(Sorry, but I am no longer developing for vB; please do not PM. So long, and thanks for all the fish.)
Old 04 Sep 2005, 15:58
nexialys

i can say that 75% of the requests are made by people that doesn't know what is the job to be done, and usually apply a title like : easy job, quick job, simple job ...

i've answered a lot of requests in the last year, and i can say that most were not even aware that we had to actually Evaluate/Develop/Code/Test/Install the jobs they requested...

i even receive requests by PM even if i did not write anywhere that i was available... looks like they think we will do the job just because we are coders...