Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29 Jan 2014, 19:54

Did you use something other than notepad? It could be that the problem is somewhere else, but I'm just making sure. It's actually one of those problems that comes up fairly regularly, but usually it's someone getting an error message that says "headers already sent".

Another thing I suppose you could do to verify that it's not a web server issue is to take one of the files, copy it under public_html somewhere, then download it directly and see if it comes through OK.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 19:57

You have a lot of odd characters on your site which would lead me to think the database wasn't transferred correctly. Did you import it using the command line? Did you make sure when you moved it to the new server, that the new server mysql was using the same collation and charset before you imported it?

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
I will NOT help via PM (you will be directed to post in the forums for help.)
Old 29 Jan 2014, 19:58

Originally Posted by kh99 View Post
Did you use something other than notepad? It could be that the problem is somewhere else, but I'm just making sure. It's actually one of those problems that comes up fairly regularly, but usually it's someone getting an error message that says "headers already sent".

Another thing I suppose you could do to verify that it's not a web server issue is to take one of the files, copy it under public_html somewhere, then download it directly and see if it comes through OK.
I edited with notepad++ as suggested.

I can download files fine when I upload them to public_html

--------------- Added 29 Jan 2014 at 20:01 ---------------

Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
You have a lot of odd characters on your site which would lead me to think the database wasn't transferred correctly. Did you import it using the command line? Did you make sure when you moved it to the new server, that the new server mysql was using the same collation and charset before you imported it?
This is what I am thinking. I requested that my host transfer my website files/database over to the server, which they did.

I am considering uploading a back up database from last night and I've also got back up files from a few days ago which I am also considering overwriting the current files.

Do you think this would make any difference?
Old 29 Jan 2014, 20:58

Originally Posted by MylesM View Post
I edited with notepad++ as suggested.

I can download files fine when I upload them to public_html
OK, then it seems like a problem with vbulletin. Lynne's the expert, but I'm not sure how database problems would affect the attachment downloads, so I'm leaning toward the vbulletin files. If you haven't modified the files then it couldn't hurt to upload a new set, as long as you can get the owner and permissions right.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 21:59

Originally Posted by kh99 View Post
OK, then it seems like a problem with vbulletin. Lynne's the expert, but I'm not sure how database problems would affect the attachment downloads, so I'm leaning toward the vbulletin files. If you haven't modified the files then it couldn't hurt to upload a new set, as long as you can get the owner and permissions right.
Restored everything to the 26th, files/database the lot and the problem still hasn't changed.

That seems like the last resort and I've run out of ideas now...
Old 29 Jan 2014, 22:37

I have not read this entire thread but what one thing I learned from some of the experts here is to start with the simple possibilities first. Did you check the path to your attachments directory?

Go to attachments/storage type and check the path and change to your new server if you have not checked this.

Let us take care of your forum, seo, seo reports, maintenance, what ever you need.

Old 30 Jan 2014, 00:17

You restored the site on this new server though, right? If your mysql is different on both servers, then restoring the backup isn't going to change things. There is something different between the two servers that is causing the issue.

Have you run Maintenance > Diagnostics > Suspect File Version?

Have you turned on Show Invisible Characters when editing the text file to verify a BOM wasn't added?

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 07:43

Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
You restored the site on this new server though, right? If your mysql is different on both servers, then restoring the backup isn't going to change things. There is something different between the two servers that is causing the issue.

Have you run Maintenance > Diagnostics > Suspect File Version?

Have you turned on Show Invisible Characters when editing the text file to verify a BOM wasn't added?
Hi Lynne.

Suspect File version brings up:

class_core.php File does not contain expected contents
functions.php File does not contain expected contents
init.php File does not contain expected contents

Replaced those files using original vBulletin files and my attachments are now working.

Thank you to both yourself and kh99 for helping me with this issue! I really appreciate it
Old 30 Jan 2014, 18:48

I'm glad you got it working.

W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual