Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Duplicate IP Report by BOP5 (Checks for users sharing the same IP Addresses) VB3/VB4 Details »
Duplicate IP Report by BOP5 (Checks for users sharing the same IP Addresses) VB3/VB4
Developer Last Online: Nov 2019 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 4.x.x Rating: (30 votes - 5.00 average) Installs: 327
Released: 06 May 2012 Last Update: 17 Dec 2012 Downloads: 1398
Supported Additional Files Translations  

Brought to you by BirdOPrey5
www.Qapla.com

Version 2.1.2 - Fixed MySQLi bug - Introduced GOLD/Premium Version
Version 2.1 - Added BBCode to Banned Users and Post Count Options, better debug info
Version 2.0 - Added report for Registration (User) IP Address Checking

Check out the GOLD Version for these additional features:
  • Run reports directly from the Admin CP anytime you want
  • Post daily report as a "New Post" into an existing thread rather than a "New Thread" each night
  • Access to another Gold Mod- Recent Registration Check- will block spammers and scammers trying to register multiple accounts from the same IP address

This mod will run a nightly scan of your "post" and/or "user" table. It will report if it finds any users sharing the same IP address. You choose in the options how many days back you want to look. (Max of 5000 days, but please use more reasonable limits.)

If any "duplicate use" is found the IP addresses, usernames and optionally the posts themselves will be reported.

See a real report: Report Demo at Qapla.com

The report takes the form of a new thread posted to the forum of the Admin's choosing (A private forum for mods or admins is strongly recommended.)

There are options for whitelisting (ignoring) specific IP Addresses and/or userids so if you or your mods post as other users you can prevent that from being reported. If you use the Zoints Anonymous Posting mod you will want to put that userid on the whitelist else the report will out whoever posted "Anonymously."

NOTE: There are PERFECTLY valid reasons 2 or more users may share the same IP address. This report in and of itself is not proof of malicious activity. Users that connect by mobile devices, work in same offices, or go to the same schools for example would likely share the same IP address on some posts. So would too any users connecting from the same home or public Wi-Fi network.

As of version 2.0 there is a report for both the "post" and "user" table. The "user" table will find when 2 or more users register with the same IP address.

Tested and working on VB 3.8.7 and VB 4.1.12/4.2.0 and should work on all 3.7 / 3.8 / 4.x versions.

------------------------------------------------------

Please "Mark as Installed" if you use this.
Donations always appreciated.
Nominate MOTM if you LOVE it!

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	dupecheck_settings.jpg
Views:	1115
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	138294   Click image for larger version

Name:	dupecheck_vb3.jpg
Views:	1659
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	138507   Click image for larger version

Name:	dupecheck_vb4.jpg
Views:	1071
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	138508  

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Track all Duplicate IP Addresses via Admin CP (by Jolten) tamarian vBulletin 3.5 Add-ons 66 21 Apr 2011 17:35
Track all Duplicate IP Addresses via Admin CP Jolten vBulletin 3.0 Full Releases 73 28 Jul 2006 06:04

Old 27 Sep 2013, 15:36

Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
It is anti-spam software moderating posts, either a 3rd party mod or if you have an Anti-Spam Service enabled in options.

If a 3rd party mod you should be able to whitelist the user who makes the posts.
I am the user making the posts (and an Admin) but none of my other posts get moderated.
Old 27 Sep 2013, 16:02

It's possible it doesn't like the IP address saved for the post and basing moderation decision on that. If you search the PHP file for

You can replace it with any ip address you want, see if that helps. If it does I will make it a user option.

(@BirdOPrey5) Former vb.org Moderator. Fighting for a free & independent vb.org.
BirdOPrey5.com - Exclusive VB Mods! (Formerly Qapla.com) | Joe's Ultimate Off Topic
Note - I do not read my PMs often, do not expect quick replies.
Old 27 Sep 2013, 18:40

Smile

Originally Posted by djbaxter View Post
I am the user making the posts (and an Admin) but none of my other posts get moderated.
Same here djbaxter, which is how I first noticed the problem. It didn't make any sense that user ID 1 would be moderated I checked and I am using two spam mods; Spambot Stopper (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...pambot+stopper) and Spam-o-Matic (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...pambot+stopper). I have disabled Spambot Stopper to remove it from the equation, and when I looked through Spam-o-matic I did notice that it has a moderation feature, so I turned that off. I'll see if that helps.
Old 27 Sep 2013, 20:57

Any way to set this to check weekly? I looked in the scheduled tasks and it appears I can only do daily or monthly by choosing a specific date.
Old 27 Sep 2013, 23:59

There is a "Day of Week" option drop-down in the Scheduled Task editor.

(@BirdOPrey5) Former vb.org Moderator. Fighting for a free & independent vb.org.
BirdOPrey5.com - Exclusive VB Mods! (Formerly Qapla.com) | Joe's Ultimate Off Topic
Old 28 Sep 2013, 02:38

There is a "Day of Week" option drop-down in the Scheduled Task editor.
Doh! Missed that one right in front of me. Thanks!
Old 30 Sep 2013, 07:26

I see a way to whitelist certain IPs but is there a way to whitelist IP blocks? (for example, the 166.x.x.x block since that is used by AT&T wireless?)
Old 01 Oct 2013, 13:02

Originally Posted by spankaveli View Post
I see a way to whitelist certain IPs but is there a way to whitelist IP blocks? (for example, the 166.x.x.x block since that is used by AT&T wireless?)
No, not at this time... Will look into adding that into a future version.

Old 01 Oct 2013, 17:57

An email option is a good suggestion I will try to add in a future version. The debate whether a post or email is better is just going to be personal preference. I like keeping records as posts since I have a forum for all sorts of automated reports- but I can certainly understand the desire to have it by email instead.

In this respect the Gold and Free versions work the same.

Yes and no... The same posts will be re-reported if they are within the look back window of both reports, but each day that goes by the oldest duplicates will fall off the report. So if your post look back window is 7 days on the day 1 report you will see all duplicates in the last 7 days. But by day 4 you'll see only 3 days of duplicates as by your example there have been no duplicates for 4 days at that point.

Honestly... If you have all that many duplicates there's a problem... If your site is small then people are definitely using "Alter egos" - If you have a very busy site your look-back window would be a lot shorter, just because there are too many posts to query at once. So on a super busy forum I would image a look back window of only say 3 days instead of 7 or 30. A 3 day window means about 33% of the reports are new each night.

For example on my OT forum which has about 100 active members on any given day and maybe 300 unique members in a month, I do a post look-back of 7 days. After cleaning up all the initial multiple-accounts found by this mod, sometimes weeks go by with no duplicates reported- what is is just the occasional mobile users who wind up on the same IP.

Whitelisting specific IPs or usernames are an option but no way to not show duplicates previously reported if they fall in the same look-back window.

I suppose you can edit the scheduled task to run once a week instead of every night, then set a look-back window of 7 days, so each time it runs it is completely fresh data that will only be reported once, but in that case you could go an entire week before being notified about a duplicate account.
Problem is that at one time my forum was reporting the wrong IP of the users. It was instead reporting an internal IP, the same one for everyone, for almost 6-9 hours.

In this time, there has been created multiple posts, which is why my report is long and got to many post numbers in it.

Manually editing the IP (by removing them) from the DB (manually, I guess) will be lot of pain. Therefore I see that whitelisting that IP will be a better option, if there is no other option you can recommend.

regards
Old 09 Dec 2013, 19:57

4.2.1 installed , thanks
Old 28 Jan 2014, 01:28

This is exactly what I've been needing. I am in the process of setting up a new board and I am certain that I am going to have some problems with some members of a former board I used to belong to. this will be a great help in tracking them down before they can cause problems!!!

Thank you so much!!!
Old 20 Jul 2014, 18:46

Ever since I was promoted to global moderator at the site I now help administrate, I have been wanting something like this. Now I don't have to go on hunches and suspicions alone...this was easy to install and is easy to use (vBulletin 4.2.0 patch levels 3 & 4 and 4.2.1).

Great work, BOP5!

5 star rating and nominated for MOTM.
Old 02 Oct 2014, 04:28

Perfect.
installed in vBulletin 4.2.2 Patch Level 1

Working now

Greetings
Old 02 Oct 2014, 19:40

This might be a bug (or missing feature) but.. Right now it looks like in ACP... posts IPs are getting compared with all IPs (post and registration ones) ... while registration IPs are getting compared ONLY with other registration IPs.

For example at our "Boo" user and another profile using same IP.

That's what it looks like given that when looking at Boo, you can find the other acount via the post IP, even tho the other account used that IP as registration
Is this an issue?

Last edited by Skyrider; 02 Oct 2014 at 19:50.
Old 03 Oct 2014, 01:21

Originally Posted by Skyrider View Post
This might be a bug (or missing feature) but.. Right now it looks like in ACP... posts IPs are getting compared with all IPs (post and registration ones) ... while registration IPs are getting compared ONLY with other registration IPs.

For example at our "Boo" user and another profile using same IP.

Is this an issue?
I'm may not be fully understanding the question- but looking at the SQL query it is clear the only IP addresses being checked in the posts report are the post IP addresses. It would be impossible for that query to check against registration IPs as those IPs are never returned/mentioned in the query.

If "Boo" is being returned in the post report it means the other username returned with boo has also posted posts with the same IP boo has posted from during the report period.