Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26 May 2012, 02:01

Site Is Down

We are not sure what happened. Our site went completely down on the forum side, I cannot ebven get to the sign-in page to sign in to the admin side.

Our host, Rack Space, says it is not them. When they look at it it is timing out and dragging them down. We have had two programmers work on the site to do links to Word Press and a classifieds section, but I cannot get into those to turn them off either. This is my first time on here, I am a moderator, not the normal admin.

Any ideas?

--------------- Added 26 May 2012 at 02:06 ---------------

Here is the site. Blank page...

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/
Old 26 May 2012, 02:10

Unable to add cookies, header already sent.
File: /mnt/stor3-wc2-dfw1/503363/www.seriousoffshore.com/web/content/.fortiweb_firewall.php
Line: 6
Does this ring any bells?
Old 26 May 2012, 03:07

That is the message that shows up on my cell phone.

I am not a programmer by any means. As I said, I'm a moderator on the site and the administrator is gone. I can get to the Wordpress part of the site, it has a link to the forum. But, when I log into Wordpress admin, the screen goes blank just like the forum.

Most of the wordpress part is also gone. Here is a link that goes to what is left of the main wprdpress title page. Normally it is pages long, not just the one item.

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/

--------------- Added 26 May 2012 at 03:09 ---------------

Is there any way to get into VBulletin when you can't get to the main login page of the forum to sign in?

And, is there a programmer/fix-it person out there who would be recommended for this type of problem? We have almost 6000 members out there wondering what the heck is going on.
Old 26 May 2012, 03:53

Have you tried disabling your plugins?

in your config.php add

define("DISABLE_HOOKS", true);
Old 26 May 2012, 04:08

I'm reading the white pages of death stuff now. I can't figure out how to even get into the admin page though currently. I just have the white page with no place top sign in as admin etc. Is there a back door/another way in there somewhere to be used in these cases?

--------------- Added 26 May 2012 at 04:09 ---------------

I am about useless as a programmer/administrator by the way. And I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

But, if I can get in I can be led.....

--------------- Added 26 May 2012 at 04:12 ---------------

ALso, I am absolutely new to the admin side of this thing. I did notice yesterday when I was in there that a lot of messages were sitting there waiting to be ackowledged or ignored by admin. And there were upgrades to be installed, and safety fixes.
Old 26 May 2012, 05:35

Did you see Zackery's post? Disable your plugins.

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
I will NOT help via PM (you will be directed to post in the forums for help.)
Old 26 May 2012, 05:48

I wish I knew how to get in there and do that. All I see is a white screen.

Where/how do I get to the config.php?

I know I'm sounding stupid, but this was dropped on me today with zero notice when the site went down. I am not a programmer etc.
Old 26 May 2012, 06:53

Originally Posted by seriousrat View Post

I know I'm sounding stupid, but this was dropped on me today with zero notice when the site went down. I am not a programmer etc.
If it hasn't been changed to improve security, have you tried using the direct URL of the Admin CP?

KH-Flare moved to XenForo on January 1, 2014.
Old 26 May 2012, 11:16

Do you have ftp access to the forum?

P.s. I loaded the link you posted and it seems fine. I take it that the issue is solved?
Old 26 May 2012, 15:00

Yep, it is solved. Thanks

We are trying to figure out exactly what happened now. I eas on the phone with the host a lot of the night, they had a team on their end plus one of the members here was peeking at it. I will fill all of you in as soon as I know the details as to what caused the issue. Thanks to all of you who helped as much as you could with my limited assistance.
Old 26 May 2012, 16:33

I'm glad you got it resolved.

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
I will NOT help via PM (you will be directed to post in the forums for help.)
Old 26 May 2012, 17:05

The host said they were doing a migration, but that should not have caused the issue. During the migration the site was timing out. I don't know if you've heard of similar experiences.

I still do not have complete answers, but am digging and will let you know if we find the root cause.
Old 26 May 2012, 17:07

The host said they were doing a migration, but that should not have caused the issue. During the migration the site was timing out. I don't know if you've heard of similar experiences.

I still do not have complete answers, but am digging and will let you know if we find the root cause.
Remember as long as you make regular backups of your db and forum files too, you are covered no matter what happens. All you have to do in the worst case scanario is to roll back to your most recent backup.