Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Thread Description Mouseover Box Details »
Thread Description Mouseover Box
Developer Last Online: May 2012 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

This modification is in the archives.
vB Version: 2.2.x Rating: (0 vote - 0 average) Installs: 18
Released: 27 Oct 2003 Last Update: Never Downloads: 4
Not Supported  

Ok I know something like this has already been released but since this isnt exacly the same, quite different actually, Ive decided to release it.

Basically this pops up a html based onmouseover box when you move your mouse over a thread title in forumdisplay, then it returns the username, thread title, a part of the thread title (this can be customized by yourself, however only in the source, this is a simple hack which I only released as I thought some ppl might appreciate it) if its open or closed and the replies/views of it, basically you could modify the templates and have it return all the details the thread sql table contains.

Check screenshot for more info..

enjoy

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	threaddesc.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	14954  

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Comments
Old 27 Oct 2003, 18:44

Interesting... the screenshot isn't too clear but I suppose that can not be avoided. Nice work, this is almost like an improved version of Invision Power's thread description box.

* Clicks that little button we all love - Install
Old 27 Oct 2003, 18:46

hmm have never used invision, can you show me an example of that description box please?
Old 27 Oct 2003, 19:04

Take a look in the offical Invision Power Board forums. Scroll down a bit, you'll see the desciptions under the thread titles.
Old 27 Oct 2003, 19:23

ahh ok, well my hack doesnt give a description on its own, it returns a certain amount of characters from the full thread message.. plus its in a popup box
Old 27 Oct 2003, 19:40

Yeah, it's a better version. ^^
Old 28 Oct 2003, 01:16

Great hack:

Is there anyway to make the popup box remain solid when it scrolls over something like a pull down menu? As it stands now when the popup box is over a pull down menu the pull down menu is visible in the popup box. Also, is there anyway to direct the popup box so that it stays on top even when you scroll down the page?

Thanks,
Parker
Old 28 Oct 2003, 12:13

>> Is there anyway to make the popup box remain solid when it scrolls over something like a pull down menu?

No, it seems to be an ie bug
Old 28 Oct 2003, 12:26

its not a bug, its just the way the javascript has been written, and like I said I didnt make it since I dont know much about js.. but Ive done something like this before on my work, so u need to set the position of the box, but Im gonna have to look a bit further into that, will let you know when I found out..

and about:

Also, is there anyway to direct the popup box so that it stays on top even when you scroll down the page?
im a little confused here, could u explain what u mean?
Old 28 Oct 2003, 13:07

I'm not able to see how this is different than N!ck's Improved Thread Preview Hack?

Also it would be very good if you performed a "LEFT JOIN" to post table in thread retrieval query (just like N!ck's hack is doing). Your method of getting info from post table adds as many query as thread count in forum display page (in every visit) so if say there are 30 threads in that page, your query count will increase by 30. LEFT JOIN method would add 0 queries to your forumdisplay so I guess it is more performance friendly.

Last edited by Logician; 28 Oct 2003 at 13:10.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 13:47

Logician, N!ck is using a simple title tag for his url's, this would be good if it would actually stay there as long as your mouse is over the link, but it doesnt, with title u can read about 50% of what it says and then it disappears, so u have to move ur mouse over 'again'. Besides mine gives more details about the thread, plus it uses your current style css..

and thanks for the LEFT JOIN advise, will take a look at it right now

edit: just saw N!ck's code, it requires adding a new querry, I could do this but then it would turn out to be a rip off of N!ck and I dont want that.. I'll see if I can find a way around

Last edited by Sc0rp; 28 Oct 2003 at 14:10.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 20:44

----------------------------
|Find in the "Header" : |
----------------------------
<div id="overDiv" style="position:absolute; visibility:hidden; z-index:1000;"></div><script language="JavaScript" src="{overlib}"><!-- overLIB (c) Erik Bosrup --></script>

------------------------------------------------------------------
skip this and put in the template forumhome
after <body>

====
bug whis the script who'on line
for me is good
Old 28 Oct 2003, 22:24

ok thats about the most confusing thing I ever read..
Old 29 Oct 2003, 07:59

What's the above meant to accomplish exactly?
Old 29 Oct 2003, 20:41

Quite simple, is not it.
Maybe try multi-line comments show-up?!