Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17 Sep 2008, 15:51

Non-registered users can reply - but are asked to sign up to save their reply

If this mod existed it would increase sign-up rates to forums significantly.

Here's the basic thought process:
  • User comes to site via specific thread
  • User clicks reply and is presented with the reply form
  • When user click 'post' they are told to save their reply they need to register
  • User registers and reply is posted (reply is posted after email confirmation if being used)

I thought of this while attending a talk on sign-up by Joshua Porter (wrote designing for social web) at Web 2.0 Expo

--------------- Added 18 Sep 2008 at 02:01 ---------------

good idea, yes?

Last edited by tpearl5; 18 Sep 2008 at 02:01. Reason: Auto-Merged DoublePost
Old 22 Sep 2008, 10:56

Already possible with default vBulletin if guests are allowed to read threads, but not post replies.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 11:22

Originally Posted by Marco van Herwaarden View Post
Already possible with default vBulletin if guests are allowed to read threads, but not post replies.
There is no mechanism to save a post and then post it after registration is complete.
Old 08 Oct 2008, 14:10

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 08 Oct 2008, 14:16

Sounds like a frustrating feature. I think it would drive more folks away than in.

My first reaction would be Whoa! Where's all that I just typed? I'd be frustrated if I really didn't want t register and expected to post as a guest, and leave.

You might want to explore that side of it and handle it so people have more options.

But that's me.
Old 14 Oct 2008, 16:31

I disagree - if people are presented with a reply form (quickreply) before registering, they are more likely to start typing. Then all they have to put in is an e-mail and password to 'save their reply'. If they don't want to save anything then that is up to them.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 22:49

Originally Posted by tpearl5 View Post
I disagree - if people are presented with a reply form (quickreply) before registering, they are more likely to start typing. Then all they have to put in is an e-mail and password to 'save their reply'. If they don't want to save anything then that is up to them.
I can agree with that....
Old 20 Nov 2008, 06:52

It's a great feature idea and something I've been toying with the logistics of...

A few questions for the community...

Can someone only start one reply or can they have multiple?

Where does the reply show up in chronology (is it saved as if they had posted it for real when they hit "post" or does it post when they finish registering)?

How is it saved (cookie, ip, same session) and for how long?
Old 20 Nov 2008, 08:55

Originally Posted by Ted S View Post
It's a great feature idea and something I've been toying with the logistics of...

A few questions for the community...

Can someone only start one reply or can they have multiple?

Where does the reply show up in chronology (is it saved as if they had posted it for real when they hit "post" or does it post when they finish registering)?

How is it saved (cookie, ip, same session) and for how long?
I'd got with setting a limit, lets say 5 replies before you must register!

I'd put it which ever was easier/more posible to do. Ideally it should go when they are made before the registration.

Cookie would probably work best. Since everyone will have to have cookies enabled any way to login/use the forums. IP address change and so do sessions I beleive.
Old 24 Nov 2008, 16:41

1 post - then they are immediately asked to "save" it by registering. If you had this set to 5 posts, this would confuse the guest as to why their post was not getting posted. It would also make it less likely they they would actually post 5 times to get to the register page. In turn those posts may never actually get posted, creating a queue of unposted posts.

The new reply (or new thread), should have the date of when they activate their account. If the user doesn't activate their account for another day, their post could potentially get buried. It wouldn't make sense if that post suddenly appeared before others.

The mechanism for saving the post should probably be stored in a temp database table, no? The time it is saved should probably correspond to how long unactivated accounts are saved.

This brings up a new issue, and in essence creates a new user group - users that haven't activated their account and have unposted threads/posts - These users should probably be told that they have not activated their account, and have unposted threads/posts via some kind of notification (added conditional, email, etc) that will be deleted in x number of days.

Last edited by tpearl5; 24 Nov 2008 at 17:25.
Old 27 Nov 2008, 20:15

Well now things are getting more complex...

Any other thoughts/ features on this one from the community?
Old 13 Jan 2009, 16:54

any new thoughts about this?
Old 14 Jan 2009, 00:24

I was hoping to get more input from the community on this (or just interest) before putting any work into it...

Building the basic structure (guest makes post, post gets saved in temp table, post gets made when they register) isn't that big of a task. It gets more difficult when you want to deal with things like email validation first and what not but even then it's fairly straight forward.

That said I'd want it to be useful for as many people as possible so additional input would really be nice.
Old 14 Jan 2009, 13:53

I just noticed one site that does this well - it's not really a forum, but a q & a site: http://fixya.com It's simple, and straight forward - you type an answer or 'I have the same problem' before you give them info. They reeled me in!

As a side note it looks like new forum platforms are starting to include better q & a support, like community server, and even answer forums for vB. Something like this would work even better with a proper q & a setup.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 19:24

FYI, if anyone is interested in this modification for vb4, please let me know. I had it custom made and it is working pretty well.