Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01 May 2014, 08:46

Forums vs Facebook

So there is a clear decline in forum activity since facebook began. Why do you think this is? Facebook doesn't look to me like much more than a heavily mod'd forum anways.

Have you guys found anything to help bring people back to your forums?
Old 01 May 2014, 10:33

Why? Because people have only so much time to spend online. Facebook makes it easy and also lets them connect with friends and family- everyone they know is already using it. It's not really a replacement for a forum about a specific topic or even general discussion, but it does swallow up the casual conversation. People will also trust advice/answers they get from friends and family over strangers online in many cases.

The forum experience needs to be something Facebook can't provide- a niche topic, needs to have experts in whatever the topic is, needs to be welcoming, but also have the realistic expectation it's not going to be the primary online meeting place for most of your users- even the dedicated ones.

@BirdOPrey5 | All Things BOP5 | Joe's Ultimate Off Topic
Note - I no longer making new VB mods, sorry.
Old 01 May 2014, 20:04

Although I have not taken my own advice yet, integration of Facebook into a nice informative forum with interesting and useful topics is I believe the key to having a successful forum.

Old 01 May 2014, 21:02

Mobile, mobile, mobile. That's why.
Old 01 May 2014, 22:03

I don't want my family nor friends to know what i am up to, so i deactivated my fb account long back. So, i am just sticking with the forums that interests me.
Old 02 May 2014, 06:57

Originally Posted by Max Taxable View Post
Mobile, mobile, mobile. That's why.
I had not considered that but it makes sense. Now if I could get my mobile style to allow logins I may benefit from such.

Old 02 May 2014, 10:00

I'm owning an internet marketing forum, feel good with it, Facebook, it's my second choice
Old 02 May 2014, 14:50

Originally Posted by K4GAP View Post
I had not considered that but it makes sense. Now if I could get my mobile style to allow logins I may benefit from such.
Not only logins, but FB has the PUSH alerts that keep people participating. You don't have to go to FB, it comes to you.
Old 02 May 2014, 18:59

Originally Posted by K4GAP View Post
Although I have not taken my own advice yet, integration of Facebook into a nice informative forum with interesting and useful topics is I believe the key to having a successful forum.
How do you think is the bet way to do this. I've been looking at creating custom tabs which open up our forum inside of facebook. Not found a good one yet as they are all charging.

I found it can be done with the app for your forum but needs an https url which we currently don't have or know how to get at this point.

Originally Posted by socialteenz View Post
I don't want my family nor friends to know what i am up to, so i deactivated my fb account long back. So, i am just sticking with the forums that interests me.
I did the same for so many reasons. Not just deleted, but deleted all content, image post everything 1 by one. I posted a big thing about facebook on our forum. its pretty long tho.

Originally Posted by webmastersun View Post
I'm owning an internet marketing forum, feel good with it, Facebook, it's my second choice
Your forum looks amazing!!

Not only logins, but FB has the PUSH alerts that keep people participating. You don't have to go to FB, it comes to you.
I started using tapatalk which does the push notification thing and its free but does have tapatalk branding and adverts everywhere

Last edited by DreadsUK; 07 May 2014 at 22:12.
Old 02 May 2014, 22:19

Originally Posted by DreadsUK View Post

I started using tapatalk which does the push notification thing and its free but does have tapatalk branding and adverts everywhere
Yes I am yet to meet anyone on either the user side or the admin side who likes tapatalk. It's not a vBulletin solution.
Old 02 May 2014, 23:27

Yes I am yet to meet anyone on either the user side or the admin side who likes tapatalk. It's not a vBulletin solution.
its all we have for now which is a huge shame cause it means if we change to something more suitable, its gonna be a nightmare getting people to drop it and install the new thing
Old 02 May 2014, 23:27

I gave up on competing with FB. Instead I am trying to offer something that gets lost with FB, which is privacy. My forum deals with sensitive topics that users may not want to share openly in FB groups etc, so we have the anonymity that FB doesn't. On top of that, we have safety policies and regulation that FB doesn't. The internet has been plagued by the idea that anonymity = bad; when really it can be positive. Sure, you might get a few creepers, but we have a team that monitors suspicious activity and can take action; whereas on FB 'creepers' and bullies are allowed to roam free.

Obviously then, we're not trying to be users first source of social networking, because we simply would be wasting resources. Instead, the focus changes to how you can supplement peoples online experience. I haven't even enabled the FB connectivity because it undermines our safety policies, and users aren't allowed to publicly share that info. I think that separation might actually be a positive thing - Why visit the actual forum when you can see what is going on via FB?
Yes, it cuts both ways. A niche audience will respond positively to this approach whether others just wouldn't be doing as well without the integration of FB.

Non-profit organisation owner; designer.
Old 02 May 2014, 23:46

Exactly! i love this phrase

Privacy has nothing to do with wither or not you have something to hide. Privacy is about having control over what you share and what you keep to yourself.

If we make the default public, then anything that is private, has an association of guilt attached to it. Privacy is a fundamental human right for a reason as states in the universal declaration of human rights.
Old 03 May 2014, 01:41

Your forum looks amazing!!
Thanks, still improving it
Old 06 May 2014, 08:52

I did the same for so many reasons. Not just deleted, but deleted all content, image post everything 1 by one. I posted a big thing about facebook on our forum. its pretty long tho.
Nicely summed up, you need to fix the url in your post though.